MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just changed the head gasket on my Honda engined m reg 416
I had to replace the head as the original was scrap the head came from a g reg Honda civic 1.4
I have refitted all the bits timed it on the marks
it wont start. there is lots of fuel and a strong spark but no fire!
it sounds like the engine has no compression i.e it is Turning over very fast
what have I done wrong?

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Honda engine but a general point to re-check is the timing. It's very easy on some engines to reassemble them with the timing 180 degrees out of synch, the sparks then arrive on the exhaust stroke rather than on compression.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
charliedenny said:
I have just changed the head gasket on my Honda engined m reg 416
I had to replace the head as the original was scrap the head came from a g reg Honda civic 1.4
I have refitted all the bits timed it on the marks
it wont start. there is lots of fuel and a strong spark but no fire!
it sounds like the engine has no compression i.e it is Turning over very fast
what have I done wrong?
I'd go with obertelli, but double check the block is identical on both engines, could be the head fits but won't work with your block. Did you do all the usual checks, making sure the head and block are perfectly flat and smooth, making sure there's no distortion of the head or block etc.

Another thought, why did the engine need a new head gasket, the Honda engine is pretty damn bulletproof, is it possible you've damaged more than just the head ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
followed the procedure in the world according to Haynes
double checked the the timing
the head that came off had a couple of fairly bad corrosion holes around the coolant galleries plus no1 and no4 spark plug threads had been stripped
head and block looked identical the head that went on ws from a car that had been overheated the head had been reconditioned when the guy had discovered the piston rings were scrap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tried that still low
new engine coming tomorrow £100+vat old engine almost ready to remove another 45 mins and it wll be out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts