MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

just gone and bought myself a Rover 216 coupe. I still need to collect it next week, however my problem stems from the fact its got no tax. The guy whos selling it isn't insured to drive it anymore, so he can't get any tax put on it. I can use my exisiting insurance policy on this Rover I'm buying, but because its been modified they want it to be checked out by a garage to write an engineers report to say the modifications are safe.

The tax ran out a month ago, so I can't see how I can legally drive this car away - is the only choice to get an AA vehicle inspection or to get it towed? and the car itself its located about half an hours drive away.

any input into this problem is much welcomed, Cheers.

Rob

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
smiley smile said:
hey,

just gone and bought myself a Rover 216 coupe. I still need to collect it next week, however my problem stems from the fact its got no tax. The guy whos selling it isn't insured to drive it anymore, so he can't get any tax put on it. I can use my exisiting insurance policy on this Rover I'm buying, but because its been modified they want it to be checked out by a garage to write an engineers report to say the modifications are safe.

The tax ran out a month ago, so I can't see how I can legally drive this car away - is the only choice to get an AA vehicle inspection or to get it towed? and the car itself its located about half an hours drive away.

Rob
I think legally you are going to need to get it towed, and if you have to take the vehicle to an engineers, you want it towed there, otherwise it will be at your house and might need it moved to the insurance engineers place (doubling all your costs) before the insurance can become valid and you can get it all taxed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
just drive it, your gonna tax it anyway! hate this government, yet foreigners can drive their foreign vehicles chew the road up just as much as me and yet DONT PAY :john:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Tax is up to you - although watch out for ANPR cameras. Do not, on any account, even consider driving it without proper insurance in place. Hit something and apart from ending up in court you could end up bankrupt for life.

·
Registered
mg_zs
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm, I can't be dealing with that. Its really annoying that the system in place has to be so unflexible for me.

I don't want to take any chances like that, my options are basically to get it towed and thats about it?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
smiley smile said:
hey,

Rob
What you need to do is, to contact various insurance companies as they all have different criteria, and not all will insist on an engineers report. So if you act now, you could get a cover note in time. Get MOT and V5c posted to you from current owner and you will be able to tax it before, you collect it. In future though get an engineers report before you hand over your cash, it helps with negotiations and stops you getting stiched up. Good luck

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I was going to write "Most people would just risk driving it home" but thought i would get shouted at by someone trying to be clever.
Its highly illegal and like everyone says, sods law that will be the day an ANPR camera gets you, or they are doing random stops, OR you get hit by someone else......

·
Registered
mg_zs
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahhh, I've just worked out something. I'm gonna get these forms off of my insurance company that need filling out, post them to the bloke who I'm buyign the car off, he can go and get them filled out by his local garage, I'll get them off of him, and fax the forms off to my insurance company, I then get covered, and he'll drive me to the local post office to get the car taxed.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You could try www.dayinsure.com although I'm not sure they'd cover a modified car.

Basically, modified cars are a pain in the ***** for things like this which is why they are usually worth less than a comparable un-mofied example.

·
Registered
984 Posts
looking at that topic title, I got the idea your Labour government has just sunk to new lows by outlawing Rovers on British roads :)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
damn! was arranging for becki to borrow an mx5 for her birthday and was looking for some short term insurance.......got to be 21 to use dayinsure :(

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
mario1979 said:
just drive it, your gonna tax it anyway! hate this government, yet foreigners can drive their foreign vehicles chew the road up just as much as me and yet DONT PAY :john:
Hey Mario (super name ...sounds a bit foreign to me..;) )

Then you must hate ALL Governments ... because they are all guilty of doing that for years. It is and has been rife in many larger cities - not second hand information, seen it with my own eyes and authorities turn a blind eye apparently. Even when one of them kills three people in the car and the law brings them to book, the penalties are laughable ... that is if they're penalised ... penalties for exceeding the speed limit are sometimes far greater than causing death whilst uninsured.

By the way, when it comes to giving Johnnie F. more than a fair helping hand, the vast majority of UK Citizens are also guilty. You looked at the contents of the average car park lately. We are the Chumpions.

More seriously, even if the car has a current* MoT, book the car in for an MoT at the same time as engineer report and drive it. Tell/ask your Insurance company first what you plan to do. They should rarely object and if they do, look elsewhere come renewal time and tell them. That may work unless you're a bad risk. When/if it fails MoT, you'll need to get it fixed.

* Forgeries not unknown. Even genuine Certificates are no guarantee of a roadworthy car, even the day after the test pass.

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
A towed vehicle with 4 wheels on the road still need to be MOT'd, taxed and insured. The ONLY legal way to do it is for it to be trailered.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have had to do this myself and researched it - The answer is there in black and white on the DVLA website.

You cannot keep an untaxed car on the road but you can drive it...

As long as you have insurance it is perfectly legal to drive an un MoT'd untaxed vehicle on the road as long as:
a) you are driving to a pre-booked MoT test.
b) you are returning from an MoT test whether or not the vehicle passed.
c) you are travelling to or from a place where you are rectifying MoT failure points.

So the answer is, get insurance. You definitely need that.
Book an MoT at the place you are getting an engineers report.
Drive the car there, have the report done, and drive it back, then get your tax.

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
Londonbabe said:
I have had to do this myself and researched it - The answer is there in black and white on the DVLA website.

You cannot keep an untaxed car on the road but you can drive it...

As long as you have insurance it is perfectly legal to drive an un MoT'd untaxed vehicle on the road as long as:
a) you are driving to a pre-booked MoT test.
b) you are returning from an MoT test whether or not the vehicle passed.
c) you are travelling to or from a place where you are rectifying MoT failure points.

So the answer is, get insurance. You definitely need that.
Book an MoT at the place you are getting an engineers report.
Drive the car there, have the report done, and drive it back, then get your tax.
I can verify the above, I used to work for a local DVLA office! In addition to what Londonbabe posted you can even drive without a vehicle registration number provided the vehicle has a clearly marked VIN (chassis number) subject to the same general conditions as Londonbabe's posting. In addition the vehicle may be driven directly to and from a DVLA office provided it's in relation to a pre-booked appointment for the purposes of inspecting the said vehicle.
Note the word "directly". It means just that: no detours from the shortest practical route allowed and no stopping at the shops or to pick up the kids from school.
Once the vehicle is inspected and is at the stage where you can legally obtain road tax/SORN you are obliged to do so without delay. In practice this means that you CAN stop at the nearest post office on your return route to sort this out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts