MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as ive just got a new job and will be travellin alot more miles so i am thinking of getting a diesel car. I was going to use my wee rover 25 IE as a deposit but i still owe money on it through Hire Purchase.

Does anyone know what the procedure is when i go up to a dealership?? Do i basically say "How much will ya give me for my car?? Oh and by the way i owe £2000 on it still"

Plus bearing in mind that its a 2001 25 IE 3dr with 68000 on the clock, how muxh should i expect them to quote me?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!:)

·
Registered
rover_25
581 Posts
I think you would be lucky to get anything, lad on here had a good one kinda same age 25 with similar or less mileage and got 1900 for it.

Part exchange prices are not at all close to dealer prices or even what you want for it. Id probably carry on using the 25 until it is paid off and just stay calm with the loud pedal.

You can get some darn good mileages out of them, just keep the tyres at correct pressures, make sure oil is good and plugs and air filter are all clean.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
ZS180, ZTT260
671 Posts
You can pay off the 25 early. It probably is worth around £2000 in part ex.

What usually happens if you take HP out on the new car is that the price of the settlement is added to what you pay back.

But if your 25 is a 1.4, I wouldn't bother with a diesel - I got an average around 45mpg out of mine on 100 miles/day. Work out the maths, how much would you save on fuel price compared to how much you'd lose on the new car?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so does that mean that if the car was worth 2000 and the settlement figure was about 2500 then there would be about 500 added onto the price of the new car???

·
Premium Member
ZS180, ZTT260
671 Posts
Yes. Who else is going to pay?

It's simple maths:

New car: 10000.
Value of trade in: 2000.
Settlement on trade in: 2500

10000-2000+2500.

All you can do is try to get the dealer to knock the money off the car you're buying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts