MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a 75 CDTI as per my previous thread.

I took it for a test drive today and was fairly inpressed by the drive. If I do buy it, I'll probably have a word with Roverron!.

Anyway, a few queries after my test drive:

• the key plip keyring with the barcode shows a date of Aug 04. Does this indicate the manufacturing date of the car?
  • the car has a JVC radio/cd. The steering controls do not work. I asked the salesman and he said it was the original unit. Did any 75s come with a JVC unit?
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Nope, he's talking out of his arse, no 75s came with a JVC. If its a single din unit (i.e. same size as a normal car radio, its an aftermarket jobby - all 75s have bespoke radios (double din). The ZTs had kenwood radios in them.

The date on the plip is probably the manufacturing date of the plip itself, rather than the car, it may have been a plip that they ordered.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveChilds said:
Nope, he's talking out of his arse, no 75s came with a JVC. If its a single din unit (i.e. same size as a normal car radio, its an aftermarket jobby - all 75s have bespoke radios (double din). The ZTs had kenwood radios in them.

The date on the plip is probably the manufacturing date of the plip itself, rather than the car, it may have been a plip that they ordered.
Hi Steve

I had the same feelings about the radio - I never saw/heard of a 75 with a JVC.

I doubt the plip was reordered. I didn't mention it to the sales guy - yet! My own guess is that it may be the plip manufacturing date, with the car made some time afterwards.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
As Steve says. All pre-facelift 75's had double din units.

Facelift (2004) 75's were fitted with single din hu's but they were either Iovox (uugh!) or,once all the Iovox's had bust, Siemens VDO.

JVC? Never!

Regards

Mike

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Aha!

As a facelift your car will have been fitted with a single din hu at the factory. Most likely an Iovox. You can get all the advice you need from people on here about putting in a hu that will work with your steering wheel controls :)

As John says the date on the fob is not the build date for your car.

Regards

Mike :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chilljohn said:
the date on the bar code is when the fob was made or programmed, one of mine says 04 and the one i bought as a replacment 06 the car in question is a 2003

hth
Hi John

I'm a bit confused. Your car is a 03 and your plip is a 04?

How is this possible?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MikeM said:
Aha!

As John says the date on the fob is not the build date for your car.

Regards

Mike :)
Hi Mike

While the plip date may not be the manufacturing date of the car, is it safe to assume the car would have been made within a short time i.e a few months.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
in its short life of 20k its been a finance repo so its has had new locks and plates 2 weeks after it was reged!

the one that came with the car was bought by the dealer to get the car back , and the one after i bought

as for the original keys god knows where they ended up

as said the date has nothing at al to do with the age of the car its just when the fob was made and shipped from the fob maker, if you bought another key for your car it would be a 06 year

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other thing I noticed about the car on the testdrive - it had cream leather seats and a sandstone trim, but with walnut "wood".

I thought all sandstone cars came with a light oak "wood".

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
SteveChilds said:
Depends what the customer who ordered the car wanted.
Steve, I would imagine that this car was just a bog standard model - no customer input.

The main reason I ask about the colour is that I may wany to get a wood/leather steering wheel. Can you get a sandstone/walnut one?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SteveChilds said:
Yes, I'm after one too! The early 75s were sandstone / walnut.
Thats interesting, Steve. Are you saying it was ONLY used on earlier models?. The model I test drove was a Classic Special Edition. Its basically a Classic with leather seats and 16" forked alloys. Did they just use an earlier colour scheme?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
podge3 said:
One other thing I noticed about the car on the testdrive - it had cream leather seats and a sandstone trim, but with walnut "wood".

I thought all sandstone cars came with a light oak "wood".
I've looked at a few pics of black 75s and all appear to have that colour scheme.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
podge3 said:
Thats interesting, Steve. Are you saying it was ONLY used on earlier models?. The model I test drove was a Classic Special Edition. Its basically a Classic with leather seats and 16" forked alloys. Did they just use an earlier colour scheme?
Classics always did use the original colour scheme.... Light Oak was for the Connoisseurs and Dark Oak was for the contemporary models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.