MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, can updating the air filters to a sports one be worth while please? Can it be done yourself, and what's the gain, and cost, is one any better than the others? Thanks Richard.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,015 Posts
Got a piper cross in my 160, came with the car so just clean it at service intervals. All my others run on standard air filters, never had the incline to think of modding the F/TF's as don't use on tracks and are fast enough without performance mods for everyday use. Plus standard air filters are cheap so on the line of 1 piper cross which will outlast me and the car or 10+ cheap ones, the cheap ones win :)

·
Registered
mgf
916 Posts
I got the Thipan make that Bill had in the MGF Centre in Wolverhampton. Its a type of steel filter that you wash out twice a year. They shoot the intake down to the passenger side air intake vent. You need then to get out your plastic box air filter some cut it out as Ibelieve it can be tricky to extract. Mike Brewer does not believe in putting the cold air intake in the engine bay as he maintains that area is hot once your start driving and he's proberly right. The side air vents are the best place to get cold air in but a good duct system has not been available as yet ( one for Mike Satur ). Bill just put in the flexible silver tubing but it works. When accelerating you can hear the growl of the suction pipe. I think I got a little better acceleration plus having the 52mm throttle body and the Milltek quads

1 - 4 of 4 Posts