·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I know that Adrian Clifford has his next to the ignition, I don't know how easy that is to wire in, but it does leave the cigarete lighter free.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I am sure Andy will be along soon to show us his GO button. He put his where the hazard light switch is, and moved that to the transmission tunnel.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,291 Posts
One place to put a start button is on the right hand side of the steering column just under the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havn't looked properly yet but jsut above and to the right of where the key is inserted seems to be a small place i could put it.

gotta get the drill out obviously but wont do that until i know what exactly im going to do! =)

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh word of warning if your thinking of buying this push start button it's just as cheap looking as the price is, that's another reason why im hiding it away for only me to see! =p

the push start text is actualy a sticker you stick on, and the red button sticks out way to much. =)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Sorry Ricki, can't leave a big in depth reply right now as I'm using my mobile as a modem and it's about to run out of battery but you can do what I've done and put the start button in place of the cigarette lighter but move the cigarette lighter to inside the cubby box.

Then also run an extension to under the dash so you still have full use of the lighter but also a power supply for all your add on"s.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for the replys over your mobile! =)

what im thinking is it still possible to jsut link the cable up to the ciggerette lighter jsut get power, but still also use the same ciggerate cable for charging mobiles etc. so have 2 wires going into it from under the centrual dash. or would this cause serious powersupply problems?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,291 Posts
I don’t know how old your TF is but the lighter cold well be permanently live not sure that would be suitable for the starter button.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Cyer_ricki said:
cheers for the replys over your mobile! =)

what im thinking is it still possible to jsut link the cable up to the ciggerette lighter jsut get power, but still also use the same ciggerate cable for charging mobiles etc. so have 2 wires going into it from under the centrual dash. or would this cause serious powersupply problems?

Thats what I have done but you would eb safer also including a 5A in-line fuse form the steering column wiress before it goes into the cig lighter. I did this, hid the cig lighter under the console, then used a double adapter (one going into each footwell) to power my Snooper and phone charger.

Give me a shout if you need help fitting that button as I did it a few weeks ago (yes indeed it is very cheap and Iplan to change the button soon)

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so thisway u still put the start button in the middle wher the cig lighter originaly was?

interesting! =)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Do check with your insurance company before fitting. Some refuse to cover cars with these fitted.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
On the subject of starter buttons...

... ya just gotta have a big red button that says GO! on it!!

This is a spare hazard warning button that i had - i first dismantled it to remove the mechanical latch mechanism inside the button (a simple job), then i removed the button from the housing and used 3 coats of red plastic primer, 5 coats of Flame Red paint. I then applied some cream vinyl lettering (in the 'Scarlet Fever' font) i had made up by my local graphix place - finally 4 coats of clear lacquer to seal the lettering.

The wiring for the starter button is very simple, requiring only 2 of the pin outs in the back of the hazard switch, err - bottom left and the one 2 pins above it.

Because it is a legal requirement (MOT) for any car fitted with a hazard switch as part of the standard equipment to actually have one, i then had to think about a new hazard warning switch. A trip to a breakers yard laer and i had a nice Rover 75 switch console in burr walnut to match my dash - this i fitted to the transmission tunnel and as a bonus got a central lockong button thrown in!

Wiring these in was a lot more complex, not only because the hazard switch needs an electronic latch (done with Ford relays) to work in an F, but also because the central locking button potentiall creates a security issue (don't want some oik slashing my roof and then getting the doors unlocked just by pressing a button). The button therefore is only powered when the engine is running.

They look and work really well. Cutting the transmission tunnel about to mount the switch was a pain though (it's pretty thick and the metal former is situated on the limits of a dremel cutting disc). Also, my grasp of electrics is marginal at best so i ended up going to an auto-electrician to do the work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
..cool stuff..
I have got to stop visitng this here forum! The amount of ideas for mods is mind boggling - and I have to do them ALL :dddc:

So this switch assembly you got from the breakers yard is a standard panel on 75's??

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Would I be right in saying that having the starter button wired up would not make it any easier to steel as you would still need the transponder to switch off the immboliser?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
If wired in correctly.

It is easy to get it wrong and enable it to be started without a key.

Many insurance companies will require it to be professionally fitted.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Replaced my £1.49 starter button with this nice stainless steel flush button. Will make it more difficult to push when engine is running too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts