MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the results from the Auto Express JD Power Survey states that only 20% of respondants believe the police should be forced to buy british built cars.

Not even british owned, just built.

No wonder our manufacturing base is going down the pan.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It's not that simple though.
It's all about money.
If a Police force can get xx amount of cars for a cheaper price than Rover can supply then that's saving the tax payers money.
I think it would be nice for every force to be driving Mg/Rover cars but I'm not really bothered what cars they drive.
I'm more concerned about if they can stop crime.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
its not saving the tax payers money. Because the money is going out of the country, rather than staying in the country. Its short sighted economics buying foreign goods because you get a slightly better deal.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
red_rover said:
its not saving the tax payers money. Because the money is going out of the country, rather than staying in the country. Its short sighted economics buying foreign goods because you get a slightly better deal.
That's not the big picture though is it?
Import/export is economics.
If you only bought what was in your country then you would be a very poor country.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
At the end of the day, if this Country goes down the pan, they'll all emigrate to Spain or Australia. I say the sooner the better, with them out of the way it makes the Country lighter, and less arrogant...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
At the end of the day, if this Country goes down the pan, they'll all emigrate to Spain or Australia. I say the sooner the better, with them out of the way it makes the Country lighter, and less arrogant...
Who? The feds?

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
It's all about money.
If a Police force can get xx amount of cars for a cheaper price than Rover can supply then that's saving the tax payers money.

The irony being of course that quite often their chosen plod wagons cost more than any MG or Rover :err:

John

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
It's all about money.

The irony being of course that quite often their chosen plod wagons cost more than any MG or Rover :err:

John
Well most plod cars I see are Mondeo's, Vectra's, Astra's, Focus etc..
Also they may cost marginally more to buy at a dealership but who knows what sort of discount the feds get?
Also it's a total cost of ownership over the period of time that they have the vehicle. Depends on cost of servicing too. Also depends on what value the vehicle has when they get rid of it.
So lots of things to consider, it's not as simple as supporting Rover and buying them for all the police forces.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The point here is not necessarily MGR, but a british produced vehicle, regardless of owner.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Stu said:
The point here is not necessarily MGR, but a british produced vehicle, regardless of owner.
I agree, it should be at least made here.
Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota.
Ideally a mix of Rover's and MG's.
Would be great to see a load of police ZR's and ZT's!

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
It would be great if MGR could put a competitive deal forward for the police to take up but if the streetwise is to quick(surely this is a leg pull?) then nearly the whole range would be wouldnt it?:_poke:

IVAN

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Yup, personally I smile every bit as much when I see someone driving a British made Peugeot, Vauxhall, Toyota, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover or Aston Martin, as I do when I see someone driving an MG or Rover :)

John

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I want South Yorkshire Police to keep buying the Pug 206/307 as they are dog slow and I will always remember when I was travelling into work along the Park Way and saw a MK2 214Sli leaving the Pug 307 lagging so far behind that they had to give up chasing as they just could not keep up with it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
...it comes back to politics again. If we got someone who was willing to be an MP for the next five years, we could have the police in MGs and Rovers, along with the Government buying British as well.

Yes, import and export is important, but if the Government backed British manufacturing the country would be even stronger today than it already is. The economy is very strong right now, and imports have been cheap because of the euro, but British manufacturers have been crying out for support from the government. Because they haven't got it, British manufacturers are disappearing rapidly. I think even the Labour government are shocked on how many manufacturing jobs have been lost in the last five years.

Unless there is a change in strategy with the British Government, in simply ensuring British interests are considered with their own purchasing departments, manufacturing has no future in the UK. And it would have been a lot cheaper if the police had been buying a share of MGs and Rovers over the past four years than the Government stumping up a £100m loan right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Isn't all this about 'global economy' where all trade is free and people can choose to buy what they want. So our police select what they feel is most appropriate to them. The problem is that only the British appear to be participating in this while everyone else is trying to protect their industries, leaving something of an unfair playing field.

·
Registered
904 Posts
This is a very strange country. Look at the French, even when their models were not as good as the competition they still bought Renaults, Peugeots and Citroens before anything else. There is something to be said for patriotism.

Why do Brits always devalue their own country and the products produced within? :(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts