MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fitted the PTP items to a metro? Someone has measured a set for me at 9" from head to the end of the trumpet. A further 4" is taken up by the optional air filter and box (ITG socks would do fine). They aparently have a slight curvature as well. The space looks like 10-11" to me between head and the brake servo.

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/viewPartDetails.asp

The Jenvey DTH bodies are about 5" plus trumpet, (might even be the same item, as jenvey make most of them). They arn't the KV6 throttles and are definately direct to head.

If there is more information on them I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry,

And

PTP did use the KV6 ones on their previous VHPD kit, but that was with a cast inlet manifold. These are direct to head versions.

They use the standard fuel rail and injectors, but now I look more closely they don't look identical to the jenvey (although jenvey may still manufacture them). The common system to use on a metro GTi 16v mpi is the Jenvey dual DTH which fit perfectly with small trumpets (or one slightly bent and long trumpets) and sock filters. But these just fell into my lap and it would have been rude to say no. :hyper:

http://www.metropower.co.uk/Portal/default.asp?id=53&mnu=53

If anyone can confirm that the PTP and the jenvey are direct swap and are very similar size it would be great. But I get them on sunday so will find out when I get around to fitting them.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
210.4BHP @ 8150RPM, very impressive! Are you hoping for similar figures?

Are forged pistons vital with tb's and if so whats the cr raised to?

I've heard of the kv6 bodies cost 1k including mapping on a a 1.8vvc, what sort of price are you looking at for your conversion, also what ecu are using?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I'm not trying to get near that. Its a little over the top for in a metro. But it is bloody fast!

Forged pistons are only really vital past 190bhp and 7600rpm or so in a 1.6 engine. Probably a little earlier than that for a 1.8 engine. I have 633cams+verniers in my 1.4 engine at the moment (as well as K&N decat exhuast etc) and I have an emerald M3DK ECU (mapped by myself). As it is it can do 1/4m at pod in 15.72 with full interior, pirelli tyres (not the best) and 3/4tank of fuel. That was on 24th october too, bit cold! I beat a Clio 172 a couple of times and had the best fastest time out of both of us.

I have a 1.6 R25 engine in the garage I want to do a little tidying up on the head with. It should have 160+bhp altogether. But I'd be happy with 150 as thats enough to be honest. Keep it sensible to 7500 hard cut limiter and I dont push every last rpm out of it all the time.

Basically these throttle bodies along with a few extras are WAY less than 1k as its from a friend of a friend who wants rid of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
O rite, sounds an interesting project!

With your current engine would you say the cams, ecu etc were worthwhile and have you lost any drivability. Have you had the car rr'd as I may look at getting abit more out of my 214 at some point ;)

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn abit more :=p:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only driveability I have lost would be below 2000rpm, and thats just about pulling away speed with a short ratio gearbox. Power is improved throughout with a very strong top end, but I have no RR figure for it. I've wanted to get one before, but never done it. A peak bhp figure is not that interesting to me, I know its pretty quick in a straight line and also handles the twisties and stopping just as well. If you take into account the 1/4mile time it must be somewhere like 130-135bhp I would think. I can get 40mpg on the motorway. The downside is a very lumpy idle and pulsing when coasting at 2000rpm. I hope TB's will sort out any niggling issues at low rpm and boost power too.

Its an expensive choice now though, as the kit I got from DVA is now £995. Throw a 1.8 engine into a metro with K&N, decat, exhuast a few other bits and bobs and its the same speed in a striaght line. That would be far cheaper to do, and give you more driveability about town. In a heavier 200 I would go this choice as you'll definately benefit from the torque.

John.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts