MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used Pscan, as I am struggling up here with local garages to get my car through its emissions, it is a 1997 mgf vvc.
Cheer Dean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Presumably you are looking at Pscan to read the sensors such as the lambda sensor, Pscan could very well help with diagnostics an alternative is Rover MEMS Diagnostic and Remapping
Hello Chris, I have had a look at the website you posted, have you used this diagnostic tool yourself, I take it , to use it I need to buy the diagnostic cable. My car is failing on high co, which a local garage has said my lambda sensor was not working, but that’s as far as he can go. Yet to take to the mot station to try it with the new lambda fitted, if it fails this is when I would need further diagnostics.

·
Registered
metro
49 Posts
Where is “up here”? I’m in Manchester and have recently bought PSCAN, primarily to program my fobs (more correctly, to program the car to the fobs). Previously, I’ve used the various free Mems diagnostic programs for fault codes etc, but you need to be aware that the sampling rates are far too low to properly diagnose an O2 sensor fault. You need a ‘scope for that. If “up here” is near Bury/Manchester I could help with that. You need to see not only the switching rate eg how many times a second but also the time taken to go from low to high (or high to low) - should be around 0.1 sec. Neither PSCAN nor the others can tell you that - you need a ‘scope. But if your sensor is more than, say, 50k old, or of you have have head gasket leaks or other poisoning, then there’s perhaps little point in diagnostics: you should fit a new Bosch/NTK sensor anyway, provided any poisoning problems are fixed. This year, the first time in 20 years, I used Cataclean and, for the very first time, the MOT man said the emissions were “spot on”, which amazed me because my ‘scope showed me a 20% reduction in cat oxygen storage capacity over the last year. So it’s possible Cataclean might help in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is “up here”? I’m in Manchester and have recently bought PSCAN, primarily to program my fobs (more correctly, to program the car to the fobs). Previously, I’ve used the various free Mems diagnostic programs for fault codes etc, but you need to be aware that the sampling rates are far too low to properly diagnose an O2 sensor fault. You need a ‘scope for that. If “up here” is near Bury/Manchester I could help with that. You need to see not only the switching rate eg how many times a second but also the time taken to go from low to high (or high to low) - should be around 0.1 sec. Neither PSCAN nor the others can tell you that - you need a ‘scope. But if your sensor is more than, say, 50k old, or of you have have head gasket leaks or other poisoning, then there’s perhaps little point in diagnostics: you should fit a new Bosch/NTK sensor anyway, provided any poisoning problems are fixed. This year, the first time in 20 years, I used Cataclean and, for the very first time, the MOT man said the emissions were “spot on”, which amazed me because my ‘scope showed me a 20% reduction in cat oxygen storage capacity over the last year. So it’s possible Cataclean might help in certain circumstances.
Hello Martin, I am up on the Shetland islands not many MGF or TF on the road up here, there was one or two most of them got crashed or rotted away. I have been messing around with this problem since April, no garages up here have diagnostic for mems2 so I have been clutching at straws. It is now in a garage with a dyno set up and the man seems to be able to be able to check the operation of sensors. The lambda one is working as it should but he is yet to check the ECU coolant one.

·
Registered
metro
49 Posts
Shetlands really is “up here”. But given a choice between Manchester and the Shetlands, I’d choose “up here”.

Have you looked at the various MEMS software packages you can download for free onto your laptop? You need, of course, the lead to link the ECU to your laptop, but they are available at a reasonable cost. Can you send me your email address: I wrote 2 articles about this software for Car Mechanics magazine. I could send you the articles and you could then see if they’ll help you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shetlands really is “up here”. But given a choice between Manchester and the Shetlands, I’d choose “up here”.

Have you looked at the various MEMS software packages you can download for free onto your laptop? You need, of course, the lead to link the ECU to your laptop, but they are available at a reasonable cost. Can you send me your email address: I wrote 2 articles about this software for Car Mechanics magazine. I could send you the articles and you could then see if they’ll help you.
Hello Martin,
Sorry for the delay I would not mind having the articles you wrote as although I have bought a Pscan we are still struggling, the lambda probe is not talking/ connecting with my ECU therefore the car is running in get you home mode.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
893 Posts

Martin, Can you tell me more about these MEMS software packages? I'd love a copy of the articles as well if it is not too much trouble. Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Martin,
Sorry for the delay I would not mind having the articles you wrote as although I have bought a Pscan we are still struggling, the lambda probe is not talking/ connecting with my ECU therefore the car is running in get you home mode.
Can i send a pm on this site so I can forward my email to you .
Dean.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
893 Posts
Can i send a pm on this site so I can forward my email to you .
Dean.
I sent you an private message/conversation that has my email address (why is everything called a conversion nowadays?), which you will find in the upper right hand corner when you click on the square that has your initial or picture.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Communication Device

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sent you an private message/conversation that has my email address (why is everything called a conversion nowadays?), which you will find in the upper right hand corner when you click on the square that has your initial or picture.
View attachment 137077 View attachment 137077
View attachment 137077 View attachment 137077
Okay thanks for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts