MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
You've not said anything of the sort :err:

And anyway most trojans and the like make use of windows services that are already granted internet access as the browser wouldn't work without them. CRSS service being the prime example.

An inbound and outbound hardware firewall is the only type of firewall that can really be relied on as if the trojan is on the machine the software is running on it probably has enough control to do what it wants anyway.
Err yes I did :shake:

And a software firewall is ample enough as it has the most common ports already configured and hardware ports are mostly user configurable, if you dont know how to configure a router port then you may aswell go surfing with no firewall at all, and Java scripts is the best way of infection ;)

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Now go back and read ;)

You claimed that you passed the tests on GRC because of the software firewall which is most likely rubbish as it would have been the NAT router that was doing the blocking, not your software firewall.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Now go back and read ;)

You claimed that you passed the tests on GRC because of the software firewall which is most likely rubbish as it would have been the NAT router that was doing the blocking, not your software firewall.
Oh lordy.

True if I had a router :rolleyes:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
13 Posts
I recommend Cyberdefender; I use it and I love it. Its' protected my system from some bad stuff - so I swear by it.

·
Registered
mg_zr
671 Posts
wow old sticky but a lot of it still relevant, in my years of computer ownership and the last 17 years of being a computer techie, I have found that the best free options for malware and av are avg free and mbam (malware bytes anti malware) as far as I am aware mbam is still free if it isn't free from a site you use look for an older version as it will still be updated.

The software I use personally as I don't mind paying for my computers health is trend micro platinum, they used to make pc cillin which am amazed no-one has mentioned before now, anyways trend micro charges £20 quid a year for 3 pc's at least thats what I picked mine up for in pc world, it also comes witha free downloadable pc tuneup suit to help keep your machine running as it should :)

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Tbh i now use either avsast or Microsoft security essentials as these days theyre so good that theres no point shelling out money for protection. Ive not had a single virus in 2 and a half years and i scan with avast or MBAM regularly. I used to keep combofix and hijack this too but i never need them anymore.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
So, just to re-cap for us normal folk, my XP Pro P4 3.00 Ghz 1gb ram family PC just used for browsing & emails, what would I really need?

I am al a bit lost actually, AVG free? Avast free? Window Washer? Do they give me all I need?

cheers!

·
Registered
classic_mg
39 Posts
I have used NOD antivirus for over a year and it hardly impedes system performance compared to Avast which I was using before. Avast however was good and did a lot plus it's free.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts