MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all

Over the past couple of weeks while the Beaulieu meet was waiting to happen Christopher and I were looking round for somewhere in the north to organise a meet.

We think we have found somewhere which is different and hopefully interesting for us all. Its the Eden camp an ex WW2 prisoner of war camp which has now become a full time museum which has won awards.

We have provisionally booked for Sunday the 17th of September. That booking will be confirmed or not after actros has visited there to give us his views on whether or not its sutable and family friendly. We are aware it has nothing to do with cars or MGR but we are looking for something different where we could have the meet and yet there is plenty for all the family to do as well.

This is an extract of an email sent to me from the camps manager
..................Our museum is certainly family orientated and does appeal to all ages. This time of year we receive 500 school children a day - and most schools come back year after year. The teachers like bringing the kids here because the kids enjoy it, and when they enjoy a subject they take an keener interest and learn more.

Many teachers tell us that an hour spent here at Eden Camp is worth 10 hours in the classroom as far as teaching the subject of history and the Second World War is concerned. Our museum also appeals to the ladies as, even though we are classified as a military museum, we offer a lot more than tanks and guns and bombs (although we do have an extensive collection of vehicles and military hardware) Almost half of the museum is dedicated to telling the story of the Home Front, showing the civilian perspective of WWII - covering subjects like food, rationing, war time fashions, make do and mend, Women's changing job roles, women in the Services, the work of the Land Army etc.

Take a look around the website and see what you think, look at the website carefully including the VR pictures and the camp plan of huts etc. There does seem to be a lot there and hopefully it would make a good venue for us. We have a lot to do to try and top Beaulieu and perhaps we never will but we will try.

Once you go through the entrance gate and pay the fee the whole camp is open to you as is the carpark where the event will be. The carparks are all surfaced and laid out in parking plots. We would have our own section roped off from the other carparks so it would be like Beaulieu in a way with everything to hand. The museum takes between 3 to 4 hours to tour and is situated 18 miles from York on the A64 Scarborough road

The entrance fee is normally £4.50 but we would get in for £2.50 on the day. As I said its provisionally booked but this may well change when we hear back from actros.

Tell us what you think.............................

Please do not start to make a list if you want to attend as we will do that later should we confirm the booking

Thanks for reading this and please have a good look at the website here

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

Ken and Christopher

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lord Minty said:
Well 10th or 17th Sept are no good to me as I'm already pre-booked for those :( Grrr.
If the venue changes the date may as well but if the venue stays the same so will the date.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My wife says make sure its near the shops and she would like to stay in one of those nice Hotels in Harrogate for a couple of nights, it started out with lunch but these trips might become expensive !

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
john robins said:
My wife says make sure its near the shops and she would like to stay in one of those nice Hotels in Harrogate for a couple of nights, it started out with lunch but these trips might become expensive !
Ok tell her I will book the hotel! :naughty:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kandyman said:
Nice one Ken/guys, if you need any help from a cheeky chappy let me know.
We will be calling again for help wherever it is so thanks and keep an eye open for a call to arms :)

Ken

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
48 Posts
Have you considered being part of the Rotherham Show which takes place the weekend of 10/11th September. It's billed as the north's biggest free show with 70,000 visitors. It offers something for everyone, it's set within a beautiful park and best of all IT'S FREE!
See here or here for details.

Great event yesterday, well done.

Paul

G

·
I wonder if it might be nice to get Nanjing-MG to come along with a tent etc to promote the relaunch of the brand(s)

·
Registered
rover_75
1,705 Posts
Oh fabulous! Just asked my Mum about it and she says it's a fantastic place to visit. Even better my brother stays about a 5 min drive away so that'll be our acommodation on the Sat night and somewhere to polish my baby.

Hope it sticks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Eden camp is near Malton between York and Scarborough and is a former Italian prison of war camp. The site is a very interesting place to visit and as described above is an extemely good education.

I can't remember the exact facilities as we visited in 2000 but there was ample parking and a cafeteria. Sounds a good site for the next meet.

Includes some old fighting vehicles and replica aricraft. The original camp huts are used as the musuem, and you pass from one to the next as you go through the site.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
96 Posts
I have been to Eden camp and spent a very enjoyable day there I would love to go there again but.........you guessed it am on holiday in North Devon on that date. Bah

Regards Derek

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
You'll pass by my front door (almost) on your journey down!

If you want to stop by for a free cuppa, just shout! Kettle is always hot :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Eden Camp is really good. I don't remember a very large car park so they may need some warning. She who drives and must be obeyed at all times and without question would enjoy it.

Malcolm

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MalcolmBrown said:
Eden Camp is really good. I don't remember a very large car park so they may need some warning.

Malcolm
Warning? We are the 75 & ZT club would anything be done without booking it first? We could not have our members scratching around to park their cars!

Seriously as I said in my first post its provisionally booked and all I need to do is to confirm it................. including our own car park!:)

Ken

1 - 20 of 32 Posts