MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my 75 V6 'Sport' project is finished, well the exterior is, pics to follow when the sun is shining again! I am very happy with it apart from now the interior does not match, it started life as a Club SE with all of the plastic wood stuff and grey velour seats. I have spent ages today removing all of the centre console bits, damn they are so well made lol. I have now rubbed them back to matt black plastic, and I need some inspiration before I ruin it, I am thinking Piano black (Raven to those in the know) to match the exterior. Any thoughts please?

Plus does anyone know a finish you can get to paint interiors, from sandstone to black or dark grey that does not leave brush marks and that does not peel off? Any opinions or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I know Alex tried to paint the console of his previous 75, and wasn't to pleased with the results. How about buying a ZT one from a scrapyard - that'll be black.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Alex tried to paint the console of his previous 75, and wasn't to pleased with the results. How about buying a ZT one from a scrapyard - that'll be black.

Good advice, but me being me I have done it already! I will know by morning if it was the right thing to do. If it looks bad I will go for the scrapyard option, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.......what's the result? :dddc:

Paint job fine, it looks quite nice, I am having trouble removing the gear knob, does it twist or pull? Ok the bad bits; ash tray broken, cigar lighter broken, Cup holder not working as smoothly as usual. So all in all not a great result. They are so well made and stiff, that when you try and refit them they just will not fit, apart from the LHD cup holder cover, it just clicks back in place. However I do not smoke, so I am gluing the the covers back in place. From what I can tell this will look fine. Pics to follow when the sun decides to show up!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinyl spay paint see http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1551-vinyl-paint.aspx

I remember a few years ago the classic car mags used to often feature brush-on vinyl paint . I can't remember what it was called though. It enabled colours to be changed - even from red to white. I'm trying to find some myself at the moment.

Ouch £68.00 you would have to remove all of the interior parts, plus I would be with out a car for over a day. Thanks though it is good to know there is a product out there.

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
Well the Leather guy said he could paint my old car for £70! But i never went down that route,

If you see ive painted my centre dash is some gray Rover paint form Halfords,

I think it makes it look a lot better and more modern,

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Leather guy said he could paint my old car for £70! But i never went down that route,

If you see ive painted my centre dash is some gray Rover paint form Halfords,

I think it makes it look a lot better and more modern,
I have done mine too, but also done the gear box surround and the surround for the central locking and hazzard warning light button, I am really pleased with it but now seeing yours, I am wondering if I should have gone for grey too? Perhaps I should have asked you how you removed your ashtray before I broke mine! How do you mean the leather guy offered to paint your car for £70?

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
I have done mine too, but also done the gear box surround and the surround for the central locking and hazzard warning light button, I am really pleased with it but now seeing yours, I am wondering if I should have gone for grey too? Perhaps I should have asked you how you removed your ashtray before I broke mine! How do you mean the leather guy offered to paint your car for £70?
First of all i did not remove my Ash tray as the face plate just clips off, if you get your fingers under the bottom of it, when half open it and pull it will un clip, the only but that i did not take off was the flap for the cig lighter,

There is a local guy that advertises to fix scratches etc on your leather items,
He fixed four holes from a phone kit on my old Dash, he just filled in the holes and resprayed it,

And i did ask about painting he whole lot,

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all i did not remove my Ash tray as the face plate just clips off, if you get your fingers under the bottom of it, when half open it and pull it will un clip, the only but that i did not take off was the flap for the cig lighter,

There is a local guy that advertises to fix scratches etc on your leather items,
He fixed four holes from a phone kit on my old Dash, he just filled in the holes and resprayed it,

And i did ask about painting he whole lot,

I now realise that the face plate clips off, I found this out as I was trying to re-fit it, I should have asked first!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I am a moron, I was a little bored earlier, I should have walked the dog, but oh no me being me, I decided to remove my enitire wood effect dashboard. I have got sick of looking at fake wood, so I want my dash to be black with chrome air vents. It is now in bits, clips every where and I messed up the spray job, when will I learn? I am going to try again tomorrow. But for now a couple of questions:

1/ What type of allen key/screwdriver do you need to remove the airbag cover?

2/ Does chrome spray look like chrome or not?

I can visualise the end result, unfortunately I do not have the talent to make it a reality!

·
Registered
mg_zt
123 Posts
1/ You need a Hollow-centre Torx driver, size T20. Get a good quality one as cheaper ones dont fit. Nothing else (i repeat) nothing else will fit or remove these screws. They are there for a reason and that is to stop people removing the cover and injuring themselves. But, yes a Hollow-centre Torx drive size T20 is what you need ;)

2/ Chrome spray paint looks nothing like chrome. Looks more like slightly shiny silver. Avoid it. If you want chrome plating then perhaps a shop that does motorcycle helmet decals can help with getting some actual chrome adhesive strips?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1/ You need a Hollow-centre Torx driver, size T20. Get a good quality one as cheaper ones dont fit. Nothing else (i repeat) nothing else will fit or remove these screws. They are there for a reason and that is to stop people removing the cover and injuring themselves. But, yes a Hollow-centre Torx drive size T20 is what you need ;)

2/ Chrome spray paint looks nothing like chrome. Looks more like slightly shiny silver. Avoid it. If you want chrome plating then perhaps a shop that does motorcycle helmet decals can help with getting some actual chrome adhesive strips?

1/ Fantastic exactly what I was looking for

2/ I need the chrome to spray the air vents and as the are a complex shape I don't think chrome strips would be much use, any other sugestions?

And thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My god I have done the dashboard and it looks suprisingly very good, if the sun holds tomorrow, I will post pics of interior and exterior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts