MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update on the new 160!.....

After checking/adjusting panel gaps/shut lines, de-fogging the rear screen and a general check-over and oil and greese of hinges etc, it was time to check/clean under the arches..........

Pic 1. As you can see its a bit of a sorry state behind the wheels so before the `11 Spokes` go away for re-furb it had to all be checked/cleaned

Pic 2. `Not` so very nice AP calipers.

Pic 3. Sub frame/lower wishbone arms/chassis legs all showing surface rust!..... Not very good on a 4 year old car with 30K miles, but my old `F` was exactly the same when I got her!!.

Pic 4. Thought I would post this pic as the question about greesing the suspension pops up every so often.........
The Greese nipple for the top suspension arm is shown at the end of the (rusty/bent) screwdriver in the pic........ Mine needed a couple of pumps of greese so its worthwhile everyone checking theirs as they can be missed on a service!!

Pic 5. All the suspension has been given a good few coats of Satin black, Disc centres have had a coat of Hamerite, and the APs a nice few coats of `Fire-engine` Red. looks much better I think you will agree....... will be better still when she has her `on-ramp` check in a few weeks before a nice coat of Waxoil..

Pic 6. Wheel back on and transformation complete!!:)

Coming to a Forum near you soon (well this weekend I hope)..... Project Bodywork!!

A

·
0 Posts
Hell....you don't believe in wasting much time, do you Mark!!!!

Handy tip and pic re the grease nipples....thanks for that!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Now that is how to look after a car Mark.

Which reminds me...
If the weather is good this weekend.. Time to get Bee up in the air for a checkover

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
How did you manage to re-paint the calipers and still leave the MG logo's silver??

I'd love to re-do mine but don't want to mess it up! :D

P.S. Looking good so far! Can't wait for updates!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,037 Posts
Good job Mark. Must do the same to my sub frames as they are looking in a very poor condition for a four-year-old car.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
krisxf said:
How did you manage to re-paint the calipers and still leave the MG logo's silver??
I cheated!!!;)

Its next to impossible to not get paint on the Logo, but..... the MG badge and the lines are slightly raised , so I just painted the whole caliper then when it was `nearly`dry used the blade of a scraper to scrape off the red paint on the logo, because as said, its slightly raised you dont damage the rest of the paint (if you are carefull).

I then just used a bit of T-cut to bring up the silver (alloy), then gave it a coat of clear laquer to stop it dulling off!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
What tyres has she got on her Mark, they don't look like Goodyear Eagle F1's!?!

Lovely job on the clean up though.......makes me realise I don't give mine nearly enough attention, especially to the details like those that really make the difference even if you're not looking for them! Top Stuff!!!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris T said:
The tyres could be Nankang Ultra Sport.
Well spotted Chris!...

The TF came with these sadly but the seller had only just had all four fitted new, and in fairness to them they track straight and true and hold on well in the corners.... have only pushed them in the dry though!.

Doubless the real test will come when I hit a wet roundabout:errx2:

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
klevoli said:
how much did the refurb on the wheels cost.
Not had them done yet!........ the last picture is the only one of the 4 not kerbed!.

Should be getting done in the next few weeks, a local re-furb company is charging me £30 per wheel......... but that may go up as I want to change the colour slightly!!.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Nice one Mar.l

My subframe and suspension is incredibly rusty. That paintjob looks like a nice summer project for me too. (mind you I wouid be worried about what I could and could not paint). What paint is Satin Black? Hammerite?.

I would love to get my hands on some nipples..............as I am doing my own service this year (kind of). Dont suppose you have a wider/more distant shot of where the nipples are do you?

Also what grease did you use, MGR or generic Halfrauds stuff.

Looking well sexy under there.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Broon said:
Nice one Mar.l

My subframe and suspension is incredibly rusty. That paintjob looks like a nice summer project for me too. (mind you I wouid be worried about what I could and could not paint). What paint is Satin Black? Hammerite?.

I would love to get my hands on some nipples..............as I am doing my own service this year (kind of). Dont suppose you have a wider/more distant shot of where the nipples are do you?

Also what grease did you use, MGR or generic Halfrauds stuff.

Looking well sexy under there.
Broon.

Mine is a TF!, yours an `F` so they look a little different under the Arches but the top arm is pretty much the same........ if you look where the base of your hydragas units (knuckles) and shockers connect this is the top suspension arm, where the arm `pivots` there is a greese nipple....... on the `F` its just behind the bottom of the Shocker, you will doubtless need to clean around this area to find it though as they get covered in road grime etc!!.

HTH

1 - 20 of 31 Posts