MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the new 160s bodywork was not what you could describe as `poor`, it did have the normal stone chips, marks and blemishes you would expect of a four year old car!.

Managed to sort most of the above, but was NOT happy with the `finish` on the paintwork..... the whole car lacked any `Depth` to the shine and had that `car-wash` look to the paint..... ie swirly and dull.

So!, could not live with it the way it was, so a trip to my local body shop who I had used for work on my old `F` was called for!.

The guys there used the buffer and a light cutting compound on the whole car!.........

Paintwork is now 100% better, all the `swirls` have gone (along with most of the blemishes as well), and the paintwork now has some `depth`.....I am now MUCH happier with the finish!. :cool:

To give you some idea the pics below were taken after the buffing, but BEFORE the finish coat of wax is applied....... so the shine will be better again!!:lol:

The guy also said that the previous owner must have used that `Colour-Magic` stuff on the paintwork as the buffing pads were coming out Red (which should not happen on modern paints), and that this was some of the reason for the dull/patchy finish!!.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XtremeVibez said:
how much did it cost if u dont mind me asking, looking very nice btw :)
Cost £50!....... You could say thats an expensive polish, but WELL worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Next time I am up in stoke visiting the inlaws I think I may have to travel over to that place for one myself! I'll be contacting you for details nearer the time though!! Looking fantastic mate.

Iain

·
Registered
cityrover
1,603 Posts
That looks excellent, i remember when mine looked that neat.

After my service/ MOT, i may consider a spray job; those stone chips are starting to accumalate...

Christ, even the wheels are spotless

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DAVIDT6DCM said:
Worth every penny Mark, very nice:)
Thanks Dave.;)

TBH I prefer the old `Flame` Red as I think the `Solar` red looks a little `watery` (if that makes any sense)...... but much happier with the finish now!:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
woooow looks fantastic!

i may also be in need of details, my paintwork is terrible, swirls marks absolutely everywhere!

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have a mop, and even when one of my previous cars was only 1 1/2 yrs old needed mopping, because i felt the paint work lacking, dont get me wrong the previous owner looked after the car to a degree, but didnt do proper deep cleaning, and even when clean you could feel tiny roughness to the touch, its kind of a ritual now for me, whenever i buy another car first and foremost out comes the mop and cutting compound, works a treat and look like a brand new car when its been done £50 is a great price for a cut and polish m8, welldone the car is looking lush

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
lildemon said:
i have a mop, and even when one of my previous cars was only 1 1/2 yrs old needed mopping, because i felt the paint work lacking, dont get me wrong the previous owner looked after the car to a degree, but didnt do proper deep cleaning, and even when clean you could feel tiny roughness to the touch, its kind of a ritual now for me, whenever i buy another car first and foremost out comes the mop and cutting compound, works a treat and look like a brand new car when its been done £50 is a great price for a cut and polish m8, welldone the car is looking lush
Right then Sarah, you can do mine next time I am up your way! LOL :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
no problem iain, it doesnt take too long about 2 hours, because im very thorough, its quite enjoyable when the weather is nice m8, mine looks beautiful even if i do say so myself

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chris T said:
A Mark L smiley?

Oh, oh!!!....... my very own smiley!!....... at last!..:cloud9:

Even more `apt` as for years I have been used to birds ******* on me!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts