MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
MGF 1997
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired my first MG, a 2002 TF. I know I’m going to need some help along the way so I might as well get a thread going.
Keep us posted I hope to be doing the same with mine. Albeit mine is not nearly as bad, but still I am a complete noob so lord knows you'll be seeing a few threads of my own.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I took a bit of a punt on some ‘of the right time’ magazine’s that mentioned TF reviews.

AutoExpress 692 - FAIL - Small half page TF160 review with a stock photo.

TopGear March 2002 - FAIL - It sounds like they drove a 160 as well (which could have been mine) but the main article is of a TF115 in red, reg BU51 JFN!

AutoHebdo Fevrier 2002 - FAIL - Very similar TF160 review car, same colour and tan interior (black seat infills), but a left hooker Italian plated car.

Autocar 6th February 2002 - WIN - Yeah they featured my car again. This time in an mr2, mx5 shoot out.

-Steve-

PS. The most eagle eyed might notice it’s the same bunch of test cars as the last page of the CAR magazine review. Indeed the MR2 is the same car, but the MX5 is actually GJ51 OLW rather than GJ51 OLU so there.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
824 Posts
Nice Steve.

I've collected all the Autocar magazines from 1995 that talk about the MGF, all the sneak photos, the launch and the initial reviews. It was a load of fun reading the original articles and reading how well the F was received by the press.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
@mowog73 - I can see the appeal in that, I like finding out about the quirks and details of cars I’ve owned.

I haven’t anything to report on the TF, I’m really struggling with mood and motivation at the moment. I need to sort out a rental free gas bottle from the likes of Hobbyweld or similar but keep putting it off.
-Steve-

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
824 Posts
I know that the way thing work are different between the UK and Canada but I bought my welding gas bottle 12 years ago and it was the right move. I just exchange the bottle when it runs out at the welding supply store for another bottle full of gas for only the price of the gas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Yeah thats the kind of thing I’m after. I’ve only used tiny disposables before which are expensive and I don’t think have given a good gas shield either. I certainly don’t do enough to warrant a full size monthly rental cylinder. I’m after one of the ‘rental free’ deals, a 200bar (ish) meter tall cylinder is about £85 up front deposit (+first fill cost) then you just trade in cylinders for the refill cost albeit at a somewhat higher gas cost than a proper rental. There are a few players in the market, just not chosen one yet. I want the argon/5%co2 mix, I’m hoping it might tidy up my welding a bit.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
824 Posts
That's the gas mix I use and the bottle stands about 75 cm, approx 200 bar. I restored the body of a Triumph Spitfire a few years back and that bottle was more than enough for the job, and there were a lot of body panels replaced.

·
Registered
mg_tf
427 Posts
Steve, bite the bullet and rent a proper cylinder, I use SGS as I’ve 2 local suppliers. Once you start getting good welds it’s very therapeutic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
No TF progress to report but one excuse eliminated this week...

And the regulator I’ve had sitting about since I bought the welder 10yr ago fits, yay.

I was going to get a 20ltr bottle but they were out of stock so I had to settle for a 10ltr instead. Still replaces lots of little disposables!

-Steve-

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have checked the VIN number and it’s a pre-production TF, identified by it still having an MGF vin number! It was built on the 22nd of November 2001 and 1st registered on the 10th of January 2002 a week before the TF was officially launched at the Brussels motorshow. 😎

-Steve-
I forgot to mention that I have checked the VIN number and it’s a pre-production TF, identified by it still having an MGF vin number! It was built on the 22nd of November 2001 and 1st registered on the 10th of January 2002 a week before the TF was officially launched at the Brussels motorshow. 😎

-Steve-
Hi Steve

What a find!

I have an interest in these pre-production/development/press cars, as I am fortunate to own one myself.

I own BU51 HYK, which was the 3rd development TF built and is the earliest survivor, as I have since confirmed that the 1st & 2nd TF's were scrapped after testing.

After extensive research taking many months, I have built my own database with 223 of these cars registered on it. Worth pointing out that this database is not available to view and is not nor will ever be in the public domain, but I can share specific information.

You will doubtless already know a lot about your car, but this is something you may be interested in:
According to my records (which of course can be challenged!), there were just 20 MG TF's registered BU51 ***. Of these 9 are confirmed scrapped and one is unknown to the DVLA, therefore presumably scrapped. Others are variously SORNED or their MOT's have long expired. This leaves just 4 with recent MOT's.

There were also 14 MGF's registered BU51*** built between July to October 2001, with 10 being scrapped before their 1st MOT. There is just one survivor on the road. Although these were 'pure' MGF's, I don't know whether there was a connection between these cars and the MG TF development program.

(If anyone wishes to correct, or comment on this information, I will be only too gad to hear from them).

I hope this is of interest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Joe,

My car must be one of the 4 with an MOT.

Since I put my head above the parapet I've been told varying things about the history of my car and I would be interested whether you concur or not with the attached certificate.

Mallory1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Joe,

My car must be one of the 4 with an MOT.

Since I put my head above the parapet I've been told varying things about the history of my car and I would be interested whether you concur or not with the attached certificate.

View attachment 136148
Hi Steve

Reassuring to know that all your car details correspond exactly to my database!

I will add one or two 'nerdy' facts.

Your car is the 7th TF out of an overall 6,874 painted in XPower Grey Metallic. However......, it is the 1st to painted out of 5 in total that have MGF Vin Numbers....!

Also, the dealer identifying Cicode: K4106 identifies (as you know) being first registered with MG Rover Group Ltd, Company Vehicles, Press Garage. I have 26 such cars identified in my records.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's both interesting and confusing. So, from what you are saying they manufactured some cars with the TF sequence of VIN numbers before they made some cars with MGF numbers. Do you know the reason?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Steve

The confusion is with the way the MG-Rover.info site categorizes these cars.

All records show - Body Type: MGTF, but where the 'Model' and 'Sales Model Derivative Description' should also be entered 'MG TF', sometimes it is entered as an 'MGF'.

When that occurs, all numbering data defaults to 'MGF'

So for example; as we agree that your car was the 27th MG TF to be built, the above website documents it as being the 77,237th MGF built even though the Body Type is 'MGTF'....!? This is also true of the 26th MG TF built.

However, The 25th car built is recorded as the 15th MG TF to be built, as it ignores the 10 MGF/MG TF 'hybrids' that came before it.....!

Yup, all highly confusing. You can imagine the headache this gave me compiling this. I guess I should get out more...!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Steve

The confusion is with the way the MG-Rover.info site categorizes these cars.

All records show - Body Type: MGTF, but where the 'Model' and 'Sales Model Derivative Description' should also be entered 'MG TF', sometimes it is entered as an 'MGF'.

When that occurs, all numbering data defaults to 'MGF'

So for example; as we agree that your car was the 27th MG TF to be built, the above website documents it as being the 77,237th MGF built even though the Body Type is 'MGTF'....!? This is also true of the 26th MG TF built.

However, The 25th car built is recorded as the 15th MG TF to be built, as it ignores the 10 MGF/MG TF 'hybrids' that came before it.....!

Yup, all highly confusing. You can imagine the headache this gave me compiling this. I guess I should get out more...!
Apologies Seamus54 for the confusion in calling you Steve, who is the owner of the other 'press car' here - BU51 JFX, the 22nd TF to be built. A stablemate to yours of course!

·
Registered
23 Posts
No problem calling me Steve, after all I was guilty of taking his post off on a tangent!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No problem calling me Steve, after all I was guilty of taking his post off on a tangent!
Thanks. Maybe we should form the exclusive MG TF 'BU51 Club'....!! There are just 4 currently on the road right now, including yours, Steve's and mine. All we need to do is track down Trophy Blue - BU51 JFO. This was an Auto Express demo car. It was the 20th TF built.

Anybody out there know of this car's whereabouts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. Maybe we should form the exclusive MG TF 'BU51 Club'....!! There are just 4 currently on the road right now, including yours, Steve's and mine. All we need to do is track down Trophy Blue - BU51 JFO. This was an Auto Express demo car. It was the 20th TF built.

Anybody out there know of this car's whereabouts?
Also in Autocar as per attachment.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 80 Posts