MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,040 Posts
Given that the black bits on the bumper are no longer black, it suggests that the bumper has been either damaged and repaired and painted or replaced and painted, it could be in a poor state when you take it off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
@mowog73 I’m not going to worry about the bumps and scrapes for a while, best make it solid first. As you say a colour matched spray down at the sills won’t look too bad.

@Chris T Given the evidence I’d say your going to be correct, It’s been in numerous bumps and scrapes but just car park knocks I think nothing more. The bump under the rear light has also flexed the bumper and it cracked the light too (mate replaced it), was reversed it into a bollard me thinks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The seats have had a thorough clean it ended up a somewhat multifaceted approach!

1) DrBeckmans carpet cleaner and scrub.
2) Steam.
3) Vanish oxy made up as a sort of paste.
4) Steam.
5) White distilled vinegar.
6) Steam
7) Bicarbonate of soda solution.
8) Steam

Poor old 90s Dyson DC04 drank a lot of liquid, its not a wet vac really but it’s a trooper.

54928AE4-E86A-4853-B341-C67C37C255CD.jpeg F23768C2-FC25-41DE-B13B-40418E6024B2.jpeg 36A448A8-6746-42F2-8C92-0C016FC4513C.jpeg A694DCE7-24C6-46C1-AE76-6A01379AD579.jpeg F72C2B1F-24C2-4843-A549-8B969DA0FC5C.jpeg A8384593-A812-405F-B891-189678E9F464.jpeg 2992D3D8-79C8-4CB8-BC3A-E8C9E7D1BFEF.jpeg 97B9B4C6-A830-4C9B-8AFC-C99EAA758EB2.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Drivers seat is done too, same process as before. Again much cleaner but you can’t just wash the wear out of it! Also cut the frayed strands and de-bobbled it with nail scissors.

91984748-79C3-446B-996B-E151CFED41C2.jpeg DBA0311E-4847-4A74-BD64-F069328498B2.jpeg F40336FA-85C0-4D66-B1BD-A17E19FC3D18.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
While the seats were out the carpets were vacuumed about 10 times to get rid if this...

The tan trim came a few shades lighter with a scrub and steam, the horizontal tide line is not a light trick that’s how much dirt came off it...

The interior is looking quite presentable now, but most importantly it smells fresh. The painted dash really isn’t that bad unless you start looking closely.

I should have finished bolting the drivers seat in before taking pics...

-Steve-

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It looks good. Well done. I think that a good clean will motivate you to get the body sorted....... Do you have pictures of the rusty sills?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
CAR magazine has arrived, I’m really pleased with this one. It’s a decent length article with some excellent photography written by that mop haired Fifth Gear presenter.

F40F6150-1C77-4386-BFD1-217ED546362B.jpeg
AC802DDC-5E45-4108-A923-0408C03A9B55.jpeg

Great article but I’m sure driving it in the sea gave the corrosion a nice head start!

-Steve-

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks like an enjoyable project so far.

I quite like a bit of 'aged' leather on the seats, adds character to the car.

Just feed it to keep it supple.

·
Registered
mg_tf
391 Posts
I’m sure you will be aware that the worn sections of leather can be re-dyed back to the original colour. Might be a bit of an issue if you have now used leather balm.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,302 Posts
From the look of the drivers seat in the photo, I think it needs a bit more than leather dye - needs resurfacing with proper leather paint. Well worth doing in the fullness of time.

Looks a good project; nice to find out you have got something a bit more special than expected - I agree that the main/first challenge needs to be to get it basically solid again. The more involved cosmetic repairs can come second.

I would also agree with the comment about taking it in the sea for the Car mag article - why do so many journalists do this? I wouldn't knowingly buy any car that has been on a beach (let alone in the sea), but it is usually something that only becomes apparent a few years later when bits start dropping off. Some parts of Rover/MG cars rust fast enough without encouragement :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
@dert
You may want to withhold that statement until after my next post!

@JayCee Yes pleasant and enjoyable so far, uncomfortable and noisiness to come.

@Austin2297 I’m aware of it but haven’t tried it before, it can go on the ‘in the future’ list.

@mowog73 as above, I’m kicking that can down the road a bit anyway so you’ll have plenty of time test it out.

@Man in the Car Three paragraphs of good common sense there, thanks for the encouragement and advise.

@Julian Foulger The winter salted roads can be pretty brutal too! And because they are usable everyday sports cars a lot get used right through the winter, this one certainly did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There wasn’t any MG activity over the weekend, though I did clear the workbench and tidy up garage which does indirectly help its cause.

I suppose it’s time to show the rusty bits that need some work. (In clockwise formation)

Offside Front wheel arch bubbly all the way round and up to the headlight...

Offside front sill corner crusty + ventilation hole...

Offside rear sill dented, very crusty and holed...

Close up of crossmember ( yellow arrow above) very thin metal here...

Nearside rear arch starting to go...

Nearside rear sill bashed and crusty...

Nearside front sill bubbly but not so crusty...

And if there’s one thing I’ve learnt, it’s that once the spinny knot wheel has a nosy about more holes tend to appear.

-Steve-

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@dert
You may want to withhold that statement until after my next post!
Oddly, I've a small pinhole on the front of the passenger sill in nearly the same area as on your drivers side....when the weathers better I'll butt weld a patch on and fill, both of my sills on the rear were welded last year in similar areas, got to say though yours take the prize for wings and back of the floor where the pipes come up, although I did have to replace my front to back brake pipe and both front lower arms/wishbones. job before next MOT is to replace front brake pipes as although they are solid they do look a tad rusty, got to say though they wasn't picked up on last MOT, my front bumper is needing replacing and my bonnet had a large rust spot just off the middle half way down...it reminds me of an old front engined carb blowback burn :p

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
What a pedigree with that TF. Looks like you’ve got your work cut out with that bodywork though. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Original TF press car, needs saving and restoring even if it is done by someone else. It will also be one of the first TF's made, the MGF register will be interested
I have just bought a TF160 also registered on 10th Jan 2002 and is the very next registration BU51 JFY and in the service book it is stamped "M.G. ROVER GROUP LIMITED COMPANY VEHICLES PRESS GARAGE,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@dert Good to hear your cars getting the love it deserves. I think bumpers and brake lines are just par for the game with any car of this age. I’m not an MG through and through person but I’ve always had a soft spot for the metro, zs, zr & F. The mate I bought this car from also has a 59’ MGA and working on that with him has brought me closer to the brand. I’ve really warmed to the TF, great body lines and on the whole it seems well put together. I was expecting it to be flimsy and ‘cheap‘ but I’m pleasantly surprised! Your bonnet rust spot sounds odd but I guess it only takes a bad stone chip early in it’s life to develop over the years.

@gnu Yeah a lucky score, lets see what I can do!

@seamus5 WOW that’s cool, I hope yours has faired better over the years! Have you found any press articles featuring yours? I’ll keep a lookout for yours as I’m searching. I don’t have the service history yet but think it’s safe to say they were sister cars. The person who identified my car (on another forum) has the VIN before mine but registered the day after so it’s a small world! If your happy to please post a picture up in the thread.

-Steve-

21 - 40 of 80 Posts