MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got delivery of my bulbs today, bought only a few of www.ultraleds.com to see which are best, here are the results so far...

excuse the photographs, taken with my moby

From this...

To this....

Only problem is, the middle bulb (there are 3) aint been working since i fixed the instrument panel in. Not bothered, as i ordered some other bulbs to try so will need to open up the instrument panel up again (yipee)

Also fit a blue 4 led festoon bulb for the courtesy lamp. Its a nice blue as you can see, but is not powerfull enough and is far too small, it does not flood the interior as i would like it to. So i have sent it back and exchanged it for a longer festoon bulb that has 9 leds!

Also with my next delivery are some high powered 501 bulbs that have a blue tint for the front side lamps. Also some more blue 501's so i can light up the the footwells of the driver and front passenger.

Question... anybody know how i can somehow get another festoon bulb on the roof, i wanna position one closer to the front (like reading lights), Is there a device, sorta like the current courtesy lamp unit that is encased in fglass/plastic that i can simply attach to the front? Oh and where can i get the power/wires to do the footwell lighting and the roof lighting..?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Naj said:
Question... anybody know how i can somehow get another festoon bulb on the roof, i wanna position one closer to the front (like reading lights), Is there a device, sorta like the current courtesy lamp unit that is encased in fglass/plastic that i can simply attach to the front? Oh and where can i get the power/wires to do the footwell lighting and the roof lighting..?
For the roof........ feck that people normally use the MGF front mirror coversion thingey.

For the footwell lighting just use something like a live running from your battery.... im not to sure about the roof lighting.. someone will soon turn up and say no doubt.

HTH :err:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, yeah suppose i could have it live and running from the battery, oh and that would give me a reason to buy a swiitch and place that on my dash board, cool!

As for the roof, i will check out the MGF front mirror conversion "thingy". But was hoping that i could have it syncd with the open/colse door system with the courtesy lamp.

Somebody wanted to know what leds i had used:

-501 Blue 6 leds (dials)
-31-35mm blue festoon bulb (courtasey lamp)

However, i have ordered some more powerfull bulbs and some nice blue tinted ones for the front sidelamps, so dont go buying just yet a i will keep ya posted on whats better!

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The F's mirror is available as a kit for the 200/400/25/45/ZR/ZS and SW from dealers. It works with the interior light so still fade in and out with the alarm etc. It also means at night you have two map lights. The foot well lights can also be used from an F/TF but you will have to cut a square out of the dash to install them. Many people wit MK3's have done that. If you want the part number for the kit and a price I can get you it this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thats what im after!

I have looked up about the lights, seen some of the MGF mirrors on ebay, there is just one wire, is this the one that wires into the courtasy lamp circuit and if so h ow do i do it...?

As for the footwell, that does look like a good idea, see if i can get some from a scrappy.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The F mirror has 3 wires on it. You also have to take the headlining out so you can install the wires up the side of the drivers door.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Nah, just tuck the wiring up under the front edge of the lining, it might help to remove the sunvisors to do so.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
There is a plug and socket to the courtesy light circuit just behind the dash, by the headlight adjust switch, (this is on a mk3 200).

I just tapped into the two wires using scotchlock connectors from halfords.

One is a perm live, the other is a switched earth.

For the rear view mirror, I ran three length of wire to the courtesy light, then soldered on to the connections in there. I then cut the plug off of the mirror and bullet crimped the new wiring and the mirror wiring together.

And it all works perfectly, mimics the courtesy light exactly.

The hariest bit was cutting the dash to put the lights in there. I didnt know how to take it out at the time, so did it all in situe!!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't taken delivery of my new bulbs yet but i fixed the middel bulb and here are some pic, the blue isn't that clear during light but is easily seen during the dark. I think the dials do suffer from less light around the top, hopefully the new bulbs will spread the light lout better....

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ken said:
..not into owt like this personally, but nice to see your tickover speed and temp gauge are spot on Naj.
Lol, i had alot of problems with the idle speed and temperature. All sorted now so kinda relieved to say the dials as they are!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AHH, HELP NEEDED!

I replaced one of the bulbs in my instrument panel with one of these

It has 9 leds and as u can see the head is much bigger. So the only way to fit it to the bulb holder was to open up the instrument panel, take of the dials and, put the back end of the bulb through first then clip it in the the holder on the other side. While i was tryna take of the temp dial and needle, i accidently broke the neede off the motor.

Now im buggerd! How the hell do u take off the needle anyway...? Basically what i need is a spare motor and needle unit for the temp gauge. Has anybody got one lying around or no how i can get one..? Is that motor unit in my 97 214Si the same as in other Rovers.... PLASE HELP!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still waiting for some help on the above post please....!

Installed a new bulb for the courtesy light as the previous one i bought was too small. This one is bigger then i would have liked but has 9leds and as you can see from the pic even during daylight the blue is quite bright.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
So is it better to use the 6 led ones then?

Do you not think that the (501) Blue Ultra Bright Frosted Bulb would disperse the light better??

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tbh, the i have 2 501 9 leds in the instrument panel with 1 4 or 6 led, obviously the 9 leds produce a greater intensity of blue light but obly covers a slightly biffer area of the display. The tops of the speedo and rev counter still lack the bright light i would hope for, buts its readable.

The 9led festoon bulb for the courtesy lamp has worked a treat!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts