MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know (many of you will) that today had a big shortings out on my 25. All lights caput, fusing all the time- traced the fault to scuffed wiring in the tailgate (right hand side), also the cut out that the rubber gromit fits in was rusted to hell. Bit peed off as the car is only 5 years old, got it all sorted and treated the rust, re-painted, cleaned the rubber as there was rust residue (very important as you don't want it to attack the newly treated surface).

HAPPY NOW!

Also guys, especially for newbies, take the door sill protectors off and have a good look underneath. Moisture tends to seep under and starts to cause bubbling and rust around the screw fastners. Mine had started to rust, drivers side pretty bad. Treated it and Waxoiled the sill while I had all the trim off, repainted and all sorted!

Most of you guys will already now this but, with the weather not too bad, it's a good time to get the niggly rust probs sorted.

Cheers,

Si:)

I DRIVE A...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi, This is a very common problem, new tailgate looms are only £20 or so & is a much better job than splicing in new wire.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, there the ones gangsteral!

Very easy to remove (keep your screws safe! Also if you have stainless steel kickplates place them safely in the boot...had a mate who placed on the grass and his kid stepped on one, bent it, wouldn't go back into shape. took him ages to find a replacement.)

You can get the new plastic gromits from car spares centres, clean, treat the rust, treat with waxoil in the sill, re-paint and sorted...I hope.

Si:)

I DRIVE A...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts