MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently fitted front foglamps onto my ZR (new one) and it doesnt work at all. I wired up the switch, foglamps and fitted the relay but nothing is happening. I first thought it was the relay but tried it on my mum's ZR and works fine, I also checked the connection of my foglamps and they are fitted correctly. Does anyone have any ideas??

Dave

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I know it sounds daft but you have got the main lights on too?

I wired in my fogs and asked my Dad to just check them whilst I tidied up the garage, he shouted "they're not working" I checked and true enough they weren't even though the button was in.
Turn on the main lights and disco! we're in business.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Amagoza said:
I know it sounds daft but you have got the main lights on too?

I wired in my fogs and asked my Dad to just check them whilst I tidied up the garage, he shouted "they're not working" I checked and true enough they weren't even though the button was in.
Turn on the main lights and disco! we're in business.
As embarassed as I am to admit this, I got caught by this with my ear fogs before. Thought they were broken... turns out I didnt have my headlights on! :doh:

Well worth pointing out for us idiots out there!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I tried it with the main lights and no success. I'm wondering if its a problem with the foglamps themselves. Starting to run out of ideas.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
With the headlights on.....when you press the foglight switch...can you hear the relay click??

If you can identify the two wires running to the fogs themselves....one will be connected to the chassis (earth)...the other is connected to 12 volts when the relay is switched on.You could try connecting the 12 volt fog wire to a good 12 volt supply...the fogs should light.

If they don't either they are not earthed...or both bulbs are blown!

Testing the relay supply...and the main 12 volt supply will necessitate the use of a multimeter or a simple 12v test lamp...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally found the problem to the foglamps, the car's computer had to be reconfigured to recognise them!!!!!! Cost £25 at the dealer, what a rip off!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah could have done that but I had to wait for over a month to get the switch, cant be bothered waiting that long again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts