MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I removed the ciggy lighter yesterday in an attempt to illuminate the surrounds. I`ll start of by saying that my lighter has always been temperamental, when plugged into my Sat Nav I had to twist and turn the adapter until it came on.
Anyway, takes the lighter out and can clearly see the job in hand. So I set it up, soldering the positive and connecting it via spade connections. I am OK with electronics and own a power adapter which I used to test the bulb. It worked, no problems I had obviously wired it correctly. Anyway, got it to the car and nothing! Lot and lots of messing about, I eventually pulled out the MultiMeter to test the terminals. No reading!!
So now I am totally confused.
In what situation should the lighter positive be live? I don`t understand why the Sat Nav had been powered in the past, yet now it seems I have no power! Does the engine need to be on for the lighter to work?
I`ll be honest, it is getting dark and haven’t had too much time to investigate but can anyone make any suggestions?
Last thing, overall if the live is dead, what is the best thing to do? Take a feed from elsewhere?

Chris

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Not sure if any of this will help mate but the ciggy lighter only works on F's when the ignition is on. This was changed for the TF where it is permanantly live.

Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think the F ciggy lighters were ever lit? :dunno: Could be wrong about that though. I know they had bulbs in them, but for some reason they were not wired in.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KrisXF - thanks mate, i had the ignition in position 2 but because it was dark and i was rushing I didnt run the engine. Will try that tomorrow.
As for the illumination not work, that is correct and that what i`ve been doing, wiring it up so it does work! MG are lazy, everything is there bar the live wire. I have tested it and my wiring is definately perfect, it is simply not receiving a live.

Chris T - yes, good point. I shall check the fuse tomorrow. I`ll do some research but does anyone know off by heart which fuse it is?

Chris

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, thats what I have been using anyhow! Like i said, i'm 99% confident that there is nothing wrong with my wiring. It is simply the fact that my ciggy lighter is not getting power.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I would hedge a bet on it needing the engine running, when I run my Tomtom it turns off as soon as the engine stops. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Guys...It was the fuse!! :D

All working and a ciggy lighter that lights up!
Pictures tonight!

Chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi guys

Reading this with interest. My lighter has never worked until today when I got someone to have a look at it - turns out dodgy connection.

Only problem now is it's quite loose in the hole and doesn't seem to want to sit flush as it did before. I can't remove it still as it's obviously stuck on something but could you tell me how these are held in - if' it's clips I think mine might have broken one.

Can you replace the "orange" part and where from?

WJUK

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Iain, spot on...when you find the blue surround then let me in !!

I changed the bulb for a blue LED but obviously it turned out a horrible green!! lol

I have still slightly modified it, I`ve used a bright RED 12V Led and it gives the ciggy lighter a bright red glow that matches the buttons you did for me.

I still haven`t taken any pictures...I just can`t seem to get a good shot!! Without a flash it just keeps the exposure open so long it looks crap...any dash light picture tips?

Chris

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Use a mobile phone, puds did, it came out ok!! I use a image stabilised lens and a slowish shutter speed with a low f number....

Iain

1 - 16 of 16 Posts