MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm having some probs starting my car, it aint easy to explain so bear with me. i'll do the best i can.

Its a Rover 25 2.0 TDI Diesel on a 53 PLATE

The problem seems to be after the car has been stood inactive for more the 5hours (ISH) and the best way i can explain it is that its almost as if the fuel has run out of the engine and needs to be pumped into the engine. Most of the time its enough to pump the accelerator,anywhere between 5-20 times, although sometimes I need to prime the bulb next to the fuel filter. either way it leads to a cloud of whiteish smoke when the car does start. The longer you leave the car the worse the problem. if the car is parked facing up a hilll the worse the problem, sometimes needing bump starting. after starting if i was to turn off the car then restart 10secs l8r the car would start first time as normal. (although have got into the habit of pumping accelerator 2-3 times before each start)
There is no loss of power through driving as normal and no other probs that i can think off. No smoke when drivin and no loss of power.
Have replaced the MAF and have fitted Rover Rons MAFAM and ITG panel Filter.
I have some knowledge of the engine but not a mechanic by any stretch.

Some History before the problem

The car started spewing loadsa clouds black smoke back summer last year, the type of clouds that leaves patches on the drive when you start the car, (or on white Corsa's, well he shouldn't have been so close to me HEHEHE)

Ran outta fuel one day
Recovery guy came out sprayed some aerosol into my Maf and it started
Few weeks l8r the clouds of smoke started
rover said fuel injector pump (£1000)
Bought Pump second hand (£300)
Rover fitted and reset and coded the unit, made no differance
Replaced the MAF
Local Garage fittted new master injector fixed the problem
of the clouds of smoke.

sometime in that month the prob with the starting occured, obviously was more concerned bout the clouds of black smoke so thought it was all connected.

Please help it really beginning to p*"s me off
I'll check back to see if any questions but have tried to give you as much info as poss
Many thanx in advance

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have the same problem mate,it is fuel running back to the tank,thing is the pump won't pump air which is why it takes so long to start and the smoke is normal while it does this not starting straight away,i'm still investigating my problem,tried a new fuel filter,new leek off pipes,another bulb primer, new glow plugs and its still the same,it did get better i thought ,but seems to got back to where it was before i touched it.i might try the injector seals next.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere between the tank and the fuel pump. This line is under vacuum when the engine is running so you'll not see a fuel leak anywhere. When left standing air gets into this pipe and fuel drains back into the tank which is why you get the symptoms of the car that has run out of fuel.

Check the hose clips on the fuel filter and put better ones on if they are suspect.
Try wrapping the priming bulb in clingfilm (to eliminate it as a possible source of an air leak). Both are these are the most likely sources of an air leak into the fuel line.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
i realise this is an old thread but i am suffering similar probelms..

has this problem been resolved or can anyone else shed any ligth on the subject....cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update

ok so heres an update on the hard starter.

Reluctant to start and white smoke when it does, but once running will start no probs, SOUND FAMILIAR WELL READ ON

last week while driving home 35-40mph the car suddenly died and rolled to a stopped, all the electrics fine,

After a 13hr shift this was all i needed

Tried to start the car but would not turn over, tried pumping the in line manual pump next to the fuel filter, which will help starting when cold, NO JOY. disconnected battery, gave it time to reset, reconnected and tried to bump start, it was juddering but wouldn't start. Called RAC, the nice man had a tinker. told him thought there was air getting into the fuel lines, as i was told that this may be causing starting probs, he checked, no air in lines, he cracked the injector, fuel seaped out while trying to start the car. it should be spraying across the engine bay at this point. he also connected his Computer which didn't read any faults so cant give you any faultcodes etc.

Towed me to garage and its costing me £440 for a reconned pump plus 3hrs fitting, rover want £886+vat for a new pump. I couldn't find the pump any cheaper anywhere.

Anyway without sounding like a scare monger, get it checked, admittley when i had starting probs was told eearly on it was air in lines and that finding it could be a costly job, so decided to live with it while i put some pennies away. hmm mistake.

I'm not saying its the same thing but symptoms sounds very similar and would like someone to benefit from my misfortune. good luck any more info feel free to contact me. i'll undate when i get the car back

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Ok so its Monday spose'd to have the rebuilt fuel pump returned to the garage today. The company have said its not possible to rebuild it, apparently it was full of water and rusty,. They have said they wont charge me the £400 which is a godsend.

So anyone got a fuel pump they would like to give me? lol

So now looking for fuel pump for a resonable price. anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas except scrapping or having someone steal the car for me lol.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Have a look here mate http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/injectionparts.shtml
I've been looking round in case my pump ends up being the cause of my starting problems. I do have a spare pump at hand but will need to try it if the one i've got fitted now is fubard! Plus getting a recon one is probably safer than secondhand as it too might be on its last legs.

There's a place called G.W Dales near me as well that do recon pumps for about £600 too i think.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Pump full of water, sounds like some dodgy fuel has passed through the system, or something more sinister? Or could you have a leak somewhere on the fuel filler side allowing rain water in? The water could have damaged the master injector also.

When you get the new pump on I'd recommend using an additive like Millers Power Sport 4, which has "corrosion control"! I think this means it allows a certain water to pass through the system without wrecking the pump, and it has other benefits like keeping the engine clean for best performance, miles per gallon and smoke reduction.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Remember diesel has a certain water content normally.
Also part of the fuel filters function is to trap excess water in the diesel which is one of the reasons that it needs changing occasionally.

Also if you've just started running bio fuels then this causes lots of crud from the tank to be loosened and it ends up in the fuel filter blocking it up quickly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have the same problem but have recutly had a new fuel pump put in as mine was leaking shud i bleed the fuel filter by undoing the screw pumping the diesel and then put the screw back on to the fuel filter?? thanks

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes
Loosen the bleed screw on the filter
pump the priming bulb till bubble free diesel comes out.
Tighten the bleed screw.
You can then loosen the fuel feed to the fuel pump and repeat if you wish but it usually isn't necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts