MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I’m from Poland (sorry for my English) and I have a problem in MG ZR VVC 2005 (LHD) - when I turn on the ignition to position II, there is a sound of opening the central locking and the hazard lights flash permanently (they don’t react to the switch). With the ignition off, the switch works correctly - you can turn the hazards on and off. I read on the forum that is a sign of an activated inertia switch (central opening and hazards signaling). In addition, however, the fuel pump should then be switched off. My car starts and, except for the central locking and hazards, everything works fine. What have I done so far:
• I replaced the SCU (effect unchanged, except that imo doesn't unlock);
• I checked the inertia switch (after unplugging it, the car doesn’t start);
• I disassembled the fuse box under the hood for the parts (in the place where the electrical contacts for the fuse of the indicators and the central locking, I found a greenish liquid - I thought that it caused a short circuit, but after cleaning and reassembling, it remained unchanged);
• I checked the installation under the hood, above the pedals and behind the radio (no visible damage);
• I pulled out all the fuses one by one and replaced the relays under the hood and above the pedals in various ways;
• I disconnected the central locking actuators on the left and right side.

I have no more ideas what to check next. Maybe you have any tips? Could it be a short circuit somewhere in the installation which I have not seen, or is something else damaged?

Before the hazards locks permanently, it happened sporadically while driving that there was a sound of opening the central locking and the hazards flashed several times.
Since I bought the MG, the indicators were flashing fast (like a burnt light bulb).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I’m from Poland (sorry for my English) and I have a problem in MG ZR VVC 2005 (LHD) - when I turn on the ignition to position II, there is a sound of opening the central locking and the hazard lights flash permanently (they don’t react to the switch). With the ignition off, the switch works correctly - you can turn the hazards on and off. I read on the forum that is a sign of an activated inertia switch (central opening and hazards signaling). In addition, however, the fuel pump should then be switched off. My car starts and, except for the central locking and hazards, everything works fine. What have I done so far:
• I replaced the SCU (effect unchanged, except that imo doesn't unlock);
• I checked the inertia switch (after unplugging it, the car doesn’t start);
• I disassembled the fuse box under the hood for the parts (in the place where the electrical contacts for the fuse of the indicators and the central locking, I found a greenish liquid - I thought that it caused a short circuit, but after cleaning and reassembling, it remained unchanged);
• I checked the installation under the hood, above the pedals and behind the radio (no visible damage);
• I pulled out all the fuses one by one and replaced the relays under the hood and above the pedals in various ways;
• I disconnected the central locking actuators on the left and right side.

I have no more ideas what to check next. Maybe you have any tips? Could it be a short circuit somewhere in the installation which I have not seen, or is something else damaged?

Before the hazards locks permanently, it happened sporadically while driving that there was a sound of opening the central locking and the hazards flashed several times.
Since I bought the MG, the indicators were flashing fast (like a burnt light bulb).

Hi,
Confirms the condition of the cabling of the bag, removes the rubber and checks the condition of the cables.
These cables are very often cut or shredded causing various types of failures and short circuits.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,021 Posts
Both problems you have - hazards flashing and unlocking the doors are controlled by SCU. Although you changed it and nothing happened I would suggest you to contact Paul @ Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair as he might be able to help you on this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
victor_p1, rs09one, Roverlike thank you for your suggestions!
I checked the tailgate cabling first. It's ok, and anyway I recently repaired it. I have read all the posts under the tag "hazards" or "indicators" and I have not found a solution of my problem in any of them. I wrote an email to Technozen, but he replied that he had not encountered the SCU bug causing such problems.
During the weekend I disassembled the entire dashboard, unfortunately nothing caught my attention. However, when the door was closed once (the ignition was on), I heard the sound of the central lock opening again. Could any short circuit in the driver door harness cause such problems? Has anyone experienced any damage to this wire harness? There is little space there and it's hard to stick your hand in (it's probably best to remove the front fender for this).
I would like to add that since I have this problem, the central locking button on the central console doesn't work, and the loop at the ignition switch most often does not detect the remote control and doesn't unlock the immobilizer. To do this, I have to additionally press the opening button on the remote control.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,021 Posts
So you have more problems of just cemtral locking not working properly and hazards flashing. Chafing of wires and touching metal body or another bare wire in central locking can cause this kind of problems.

Seems that you have series of problems which might be caused with wires touching or earth problems. Have you checked earth connections in the engine bay - the one on the wing and the one on the slam panel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts