mg_zr
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Hope you can help

I have purchased a big brake upgrade kit from Power Train Projects
http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=652

Here is the write up

The MGZR 105 brakes are good, but could be better and the reason why we have created our latest kit, the ‘Big brake up-grade’. EBC Turbo groove vented brake discs and larger brake calipers combine to replace the standard solid discs and calipers. EBC ‘Green Stuff’ brake pads are used as a better compound for Fast road and Track use. The complete package is quite simple to fit and once installed offers ultimate stopping performance with stunning looks.

The problem is..........
The garage are having a nightmare bleeding the brakes and can't get it to happen.

They tell me that there is too much pressure from the bigger calipers and that the break peddle is going to the floor and that (not sure of the correct term of part) something has blown due to the excess pressure and will cost approx £60 to replace, think it might be a cylinder!

I have spoken to sales dept at Power Train who assure me there is nothing wrong with the kit and that being a genuine Rover part there can be nothing wrong with it. I thought it was EBC (green stuff) myself!!

An engineer from Power Train is going to speak to the garage this afternoon to see if they can rectify the problem over the phone.

Otherwise all my original discs etc will be refitted.

There was nothing wrong with the existing set up so not sure what the problem is.

Or who or what is at fault

Any suggestions appreciated

Has anyone else fitted this upgrade??

Thanks

·
Registered
mg_zr
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

You are probably right

Garage have just rang me to say the car will be ready in an hour, the peddle is coming up and the system had a bit of air in it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Missx, What are these like and is it worth the money? I upgraded to the EBC solids last year... went through 2 sets of disks and are now back onto the standards which have now gone again?!?!?!?!

I think i need something meatier like this kit. :p

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
looks like a ZS180 kit from here, would be a good albeit overkill upgrade, the 220turbo boys use these on trackdays.

cheaper alternative is a set of vented calipers/carriers and disk from a breaker, much better than the solid disks

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
MissX said:
Thanks

You are probably right

Garage have just rang me to say the car will be ready in an hour, the peddle is coming up and the system had a bit of air in it!!!!!!!!!

LOL...so the garage comes out with some codswollop about something needing to be replaced because you are a woman and they could fleece you for it.
Good thinking on getting in touch with Power train to set them straight.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
dont mean to put a dampner on your purchase from PTP-Ltd, but you could have got that kit for so much cheaper.

I have just done that upgrade all in for £200. The only second hand part was the carriers.

The calipers came with new pad retainers, new carrier boots. Basically a whole service kit to make it all tip top.

calipers were from http://www.brakesint.co.uk

ok so the calipers are recons, but recon units are just as god as new units and they used Lucus Girling pistons, seals and new nipples. Even the carrier seals say lucus girling on them.

Anyone thinking about this upgrade, do it. Make sure you get some dot5.1 brake fluid in there, the get a really firm pedal.

Btw, you get £20 per caliper as an exchnage unit.

Using the standard system is rubbish, i've owned my rover since new (1998) and have just done the brakes a few weeks back, why i waited this long, i dont know.

:2c:

regards

Ben. :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
i have done the zr160 brake upgrade as well..braking has been improved so much..definately a good upgrade for your car..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts