MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I need your help. I have problem with my alarm in my MGF. If it is hot weather(sun is shining temperature is over 20-25 celsius degree) the alarm rings at 1:10 (+-5minutes) pm for cca10-15s once every day. If it isn´t hot weather, the alarm don´t rings.
I have no idea about
Could you help me?

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Try locking the door with the key only. I believe this activates the central locking and alarm but not the volumetric sensor. It may be things heating up, activating this sensor. I know old infra- red sensors used to be effected by air currents. You may need to get the sensitivity of your sensor adjusted.

Either that or something is transmitting in your area at this time every hot day, which is very unlikely.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Dobri Mára,

maybe your alarm is set too sensitive. Depending on your car's spec: The MK1 has 3 settings, the MK2 has 15 settings IIRC. These settings can be checked and adjusted with a testbook.

Other things to think about alarm problems:

- check wiring behind the radio for blank cables etc.
http://www.apttony.co.uk/Servicing/Vents.html#RadioWiring
- faulty microswitches in the drivers lock
- defect rear lock switch
- broken wiring loom (boot)
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~sur188/MGF/Loom/index.html

Alarm system test
The alarm system can be tested by following the procedure described below:
1. Ensure doors, bonnet and the boot lid are closed.
2. Sit in the driver’s seat and close the door.
NOTE: The next three actions must be carried out within 2 seconds.
3. Depress the driver’s doorsill button.
4. Switch the ignition on, off and on again.
5. Raise the driver’s doorsill button.

If the test mode has been entered correctly, the horns will give a short beep and the engine immobilisation buzzer will sound.

Opening either door, the bonnet or the boot lid, or operating the driver’s doorsill button, will cause the alarm LED to illuminate for approximately one second. If the LED does not illuminate, there is a system fault.
The volumetric sensor can also be tested while in test mode.

To test the volumetric sensor, press the unlock button on the remote handset several times. The alarm LED will illuminate for approximately 1 second each time movement is detected in the vehicle.

Any interferences in your near (mobile phone tower, radio tower etc.) ?
Try locking with the key and see what happens.

I bet it's the wiring behind the radio !

·
Registered
rover_600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dobri Mára,

maybe your alarm is set too sensitive. Depending on your car's spec: The MK1 has 3 settings, the MK2 has 15 settings IIRC. These settings can be checked and adjusted with a testbook.

Other things to think about alarm problems:

- check wiring behind the radio for blank cables etc.
http://www.apttony.co.uk/Servicing/Vents.html#RadioWiring
- faulty microswitches in the drivers lock
- defect rear lock switch
- broken wiring loom (boot)
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~sur188/MGF/Loom/index.html

Alarm system test
The alarm system can be tested by following the procedure described below:
1. Ensure doors, bonnet and the boot lid are closed.
2. Sit in the driver’s seat and close the door.
NOTE: The next three actions must be carried out within 2 seconds.
3. Depress the driver’s doorsill button.
4. Switch the ignition on, off and on again.
5. Raise the driver’s doorsill button.

If the test mode has been entered correctly, the horns will give a short beep and the engine immobilisation buzzer will sound.

Opening either door, the bonnet or the boot lid, or operating the driver’s doorsill button, will cause the alarm LED to illuminate for approximately one second. If the LED does not illuminate, there is a system fault.
The volumetric sensor can also be tested while in test mode.

To test the volumetric sensor, press the unlock button on the remote handset several times. The alarm LED will illuminate for approximately 1 second each time movement is detected in the vehicle.

Any interferences in your near (mobile phone tower, radio tower etc.) ?
Try locking with the key and see what happens.

I bet it's the wiring behind the radio !
Čus (Tschüs) :)
Thank you Herbie, I will try it...

·
Registered
rover_600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The test is done, switches in doors, under bonner and boot lid and vodumetric sensor seems OK according to the alarm test, wiring seems ok too, there are no interferences in near.

I tried locking the car by key today. The alarm doesn´t rings meanwhile. I´ m going to test it for a few days.

It seems that it is too sensitive volumetric sensor...
Can servicman set the sensitivity with some universal testbook, or original Rover testbook(or software) is required?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,183 Posts
It seems that it is too sensitive volumetric sensor...
Can servicman set the sensitivity with some universal testbook, or original Rover testbook(or software) is required?
It does sound like it's the volumetric sensor, to turn it down they will need a T4 (Testbook).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts