MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin to buy a rover 416 off a friend with a knacked head gasket. It has been changed twice from what i have found out.
Its not the first rover i have known to munch head gaskets.

I have 2 questions:
What is the cause of these constantly blown head gaskets?

If i decide to try and change it, would i need a specially made head gasket ( i heard something mentioned about a steel h/gasket or somethin??)

Would it be easier buying a completely new engine??

Id like to find out as much as poss before buying, as ive been offeredf the car at a really good price and wonder whether its worth it.....

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
yeah mate, unfortunatly the older k's were prown to poping there top's so to speek.

best thing to do is get the head off (not as dificult a job as you would think) and get it presure tested and skimmed etc if nessassary.

there is a uprated head gasket kit available with metal locating dowl's as apposed to plastic ones, this is the one you need, also if you have the plastic inlet manifold then you will need the new style inlet manifold gasket.

i assume you are going to be changing the cambelt when the head's off???, if so then you may aswell change the water pump depending on when it was changed last.

are you certain it has had HGF???, it is well known for ppl to use the reputation of the older k's to jump to conclusions :shh:

HTH, simon :beer:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts