MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking, there has been fund raising for children in need, tsumani and comic relief. Is there anyway we could start some sort of fund raising to support MGR. We could call it something like 'Help keep our Auto-industry from Needless Destruction' Relief or 'HAND Relief' for short. Does anybody have any idea how much is needed to maintain operations up to RD60 entering production, I suspect the funds required are massive.

What do our members think?

Is it too big to pull it off?

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
mrd said:
I've been thinking, there has been fund raising for children in need, tsumani and comic relief. Is there anyway we could start some sort of fund raising to support MGR. We could call it something like 'Help keep our Auto-industry from Needless Destruction' Relief or 'HAND Relief' for short. Does anybody have any idea how much is needed to maintain operations up to RD60 entering production, I suspect the funds required are massive.

What do our members think?

Is it too big to pull it off?
I think it is important to keep perspective on these matters - In the Tsunami people were in stricken poverty, many lost their parents, partners, siblings and faced a bleak future of disease or death. They lost their houses, their businesses and means of survival. 300,000 people died.

I'm all for saving MG Rover for a lot of reasons, but I will never put it in a context where it asks people to put it on a parity with something like the Asian Tsunami or children in need.

- William

·
Registered
440 Posts
I fear that it is just too much to raise, you've got to be talking hundreds of millions to keep the company going in its current state and get RD60 ready. Plus of course the British people would be much more enthusiastic about helping people thousands of miles away than keeping people in their own country in jobs. I think you'd be lucky to raise more than a couple of million (and most of that would probably come from people on these forums.) :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, this is a terrible idea, sorry.

I want something good to come out of the current situation, but like the previous person said, hundred of millions are needed. Also, headlines like 'Rover becomes a charity' would be awful.

I know your sentiment is well-meaning, but it's got to be a non-starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts