MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0 litre year 2000 57,000 miles

I am considering replacing the timing belt (is their more than one on this car?) due to the age of the car

What would I be expected to pay?......do i need to take this to a rover dealer or is it reasonable to expect that any mechanic/garage should be able to do this without difficulty?

price of part(s)?
price of labour?

i am loving this site...maybe even someday i will get to know somehing about some part of the vechicle to be able to offer advise (dont hold your breath mine ha ha!"!!)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Petrol or Diesel?

Diesel have a chain, and is good for many more miles yet.

Petrol (V6) have 3 belts, and from what I've read are a swine to change, and you'll need special tools too. Expect to pay anything up to £800. Depending where you live Lates (www.lates600.com) can rarely be beaten on price or service.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a petrol model and I live in northern ireland. can any garage do it?....or is it best done by rover dealers/repairs

Petrol or Diesel?

Diesel have a chain, and is good for many more miles yet.

Petrol (V6) have 3 belts, and from what I've read are a swine to change, and you'll need special tools too. Expect to pay anything up to £800. Depending where you live Lates (www.lates600.com) can rarely be beaten on price or service.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Guess all you can do is call a few garages & ask them, remind them that there are THREE belts that get changed.

Ex MGR garages will be on the expensive side, but you know you'll be getting job done well.

You can always ask in the N Ireland forum for garage recommendations too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are there any MGR dealers there? They are no longer the expensive luxury they used to be, For example. I have just had my 3 belts changed at a Main Dealer, £292:75 inc vat parts, labour everything.
Try the main dealers first. You get the magic stamp in yopur service book as well.
Goodluck !

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Are there any MGR dealers there? They are no longer the expensive luxury they used to be, For example. I have just had my 3 belts changed at a Main Dealer, £292:75 inc vat parts, labour everything.
Try the main dealers first. You get the magic stamp in yopur service book as well.
Goodluck !
Why wold a service book be stamped if only the belts have been changed ?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It's best done with the proper tools, the cams need to be held in place while the pulleys are loose to get all the slack on the tensioner side. If you just use tippex marks the timing will be a bit out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Goodluck !
that sounds like an excellent price. can i ask which main dealer that was?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
All service books have a space for major items changed and I guess belts are pretty major. If they break they are
Dave
Did flick through a service book this morning the major items listed at the back are engines,gearbox's and intrument packs.I failed to see any mention of timing belts. Can somebody please scan their books in cae I have missed something.cheers :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi JB,

The dealer is Evans Halshew, this branch in particular is in Leeds which id nnot a lot of use to you but maybe worth calling them to ask if they know of any dealers near you that operate the same price policy?

Good luck !

Stree

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dealer stamps

Did flick through a service book this morning the major items listed at the back are engines,gearbox's and intrument packs.I failed to see any mention of timing belts. Can somebody please scan their books in cae I have missed something.cheers :)

Lates, think you are missing the point here..........about the service history etc. I first brought this up in relation to the work that I was having done on my own car, not as a general rule of thumb.
Every service and MOT on my car from new is in the service book, with the appropriate dealer stamp.
So when it came to the belts, I had 2 basic options. Go to a non dealership garage and pay more, and no dealer stamp in the book, or go to the main dealer, pay less and get their dealer stamp in the book.
Pretty much a nobrainer I would have thought....
I am quite happy that if and when I sell my car that the fuller dealer service history is going to count for something.

and PS, in relation to your earlier query about the longevity of the belt tensioners, you say you have found no reference to this item yet. You can find reference to the tensioner lifespan and servicability in the Haynes manual for the 75, its in Section 2B, sub-section 8, item 23 which states :
'MG Rover rcommend that tensioners and pulleys are replaced after 100,000 miles, or before if found faulty.'
When my belts were changed the car had only done 33,000 miles and all ancilliary item such as the tensioners were found to be in as new condition.

·
Registered
806 Posts
In my handbook [ and all others ] under every Service Record
Service Type

additional requirements

Additional work carried out or recommended for future attn
Cambelts replaced at 90,000 ?

got to be helpfull if selling your car

Mine has every replacement in it, Clutch, Cat, front and rear pads ,Manifold etc Would you believe the man who is selling a V6 at 88K who just tells you he had the belts done a few weeks ago
Dave
PS under Component Replacement it says The replacement of all major or significant components.
I think the point is whoever you take the car to for any major work and lets face it there are no genuine Rover dealers anymore, it pays to have any work, that is important/significant added to your service record and stamped if poss.
I think most members if close enough to you would take their cars to you for most work as you have built up an enviable reputation [well earned] but it is usefull at a later date to have a proven record of work done. Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well said Dave, some good points made there and I agree that independent engineers of good reputation such as Lates are invaluable no matter how many or few the main dealers might be.
You also made an insightful comment about there being no more genuine MGR dealers anynore..... and I understand your sentiments saying that.
But...... I bought my 75 in 2000 from Harewood MG and Rover, (Harrogate) Yorks.... They closed after Rover evaporated and I was redirected to Applyard Rover, Leeds........They folded and I was directed to what used to be a volvo dealership in Leeds, now main dealers for Rover. MG. Hyundai and Chevrolet.Then recently again back to the Appleyards of Leeds site, now a RoverMG,Peugot and Hyundai dealership
The point being, that through all these changes of site, ownership, etc the actual staff I have dealt with have remained more or less the same.......The RoverMG engineers, buyers, sales, reception, office staff, parts Dept etc.have all moved as more or less a unit to each new location.including special equipments, jigs, too;s databases, records, etc etc So all in all, its still the same people who I bought the car from that service the car and they have performed flawlesly through all these transitions.. Decent prices and courtesy car FOC, or pick up and drop off FOC
So I cannot vouch for any other dealer, but I regard mine as very professional and very good value,
Mind you, if they were`nt around you can bet I would have the number of at least 2 B&Bs near Lates!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
In my handbook [ and all others ] under every Service Record
Service Type

additional requirements

Additional work carried out or recommended for future attn
Cambelts replaced at 90,000 ?

got to be helpfull if selling your car

Mine has every replacement in it, Clutch, Cat, front and rear pads ,Manifold etc Would you believe the man who is selling a V6 at 88K who just tells you he had the belts done a few weeks ago
Dave
PS under Component Replacement it says The replacement of all major or significant components.
I think the point is whoever you take the car to for any major work and lets face it there are no genuine Rover dealers anymore, it pays to have any work, that is important/significant added to your service record and stamped if poss.
I think most members if close enough to you would take their cars to you for most work as you have built up an enviable reputation [well earned] but it is usefull at a later date to have a proven record of work done. Dave
I agree with the point you have made there dave having a lot of details written in your service book just as much as owning a file full of receipts and print offs etc.
We carried out a 90k less cam belts on a ZTT at a clients request and highlighted this on the invoice and service tick sheet. Very conveniently "lost" these prior to putting it on ebay with FULL history.
The moral of that particular story was the service book should of had written in no belt change.This was an error on my part, that will teach me to be lulled into a false sense of a gentlemens agreement.
The service book in the seedier side of life can be reproduced to show any details as I guess invoices can too ? Receipts for any materials used should be sufficient enough to dispel any doubt - I hope :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
timing belts are a bugger

My partner just changed the timing belts on our car (MG ZT 2.5 6v) and he has spent the last 4 days doing it, he swore loads and now is tryinfg to get an auxillary drivebelt idler pulley, which it seems is very expensive for a bit ofplastic. You can only get through a Rover dealer he gotthe belts through a car spares shop but this other part cannot be bought through ythem as it is not listed can anyone help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
engine, gearbox,&instrument pack are only examples. this section should cover all other work done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
engine, gearbox& instrument panel are only examples. all other work should be listed here

1 - 20 of 34 Posts