MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole on a high miler. It could be that coke which is still sealing the valves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
I tried it on my car as the local news paper tried it on a volvo that had done 125k miles, they had no ill effect and neither did I. Did it improve it, well yeah it did, loads more torque, but think my car was on the 150k mark when I used it so probably gunked up with ****
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
LOL

Have seen it kill an engine stone dead before. Valve leakage left it running as if it was on 3 cyclinders. wasn't this brand, but same kind of stuff.

Used regularly from an early age it is probably quite good, but risk involved with high milers would concern me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, thanks, mabye I'll leave it then, whats best way to clean internals of engine? i ther anypoint or shall i jus get a new engine for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
I had enough money for a new engine at the time lol, I havent at the moment though :-(, would you say 90 odd k miles was high mileage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,795 Posts
DaNgLe said:
hmm, thanks, mabye I'll leave it then, whats best way to clean internals of engine? i ther anypoint or shall i jus get a new engine for it?
Change to different fuel that has more cleaning additives in - supposedly stuff like Esso, Shell, BP, etc. - not Sainsbury, Safeway, or Asda.

Supposedly Optimax was tested on a car with 'dirty' combustion chambers and it was supposed to have cleaned it up a fair bit. Dunno how true this is though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
You mean an FSE Boost valve? Do they give any benifit to a modern nasp engine? plus if it isn't set up correctly you can go through a tank of fuel in 25 miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
I used this stuff not long ago and it does work. As soon as I drove the car after using it the car seemed smoother from the off. My car had done 60,000 miles.
A did this at the same time I fitted my ported manifold. First of all I de-coked the engine with this stuff then took the car for a spin.
A noticible improvement then fitted my ported manifold. Took it for another spin, felt like the car had a bit more go in it.
A week later I gave the car some hammer and managed to get 117mph out of it. I wasn't able to get over 110mph before these mods.

If you wanna try it then get it off Ebay like I did for £17.50.
Oh and by the why when I took my manifold off after decoking the exhaust ports looked pretty clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
ashy said:
I used this stuff not long ago and it does work. As soon as I drove the car after using it the car seemed smoother from the off. My car had done 60,000 miles.
A did this at the same time I fitted my ported manifold. First of all I de-coked the engine with this stuff then took the car for a spin.
A noticible improvement then fitted my ported manifold. Took it for another spin, felt like the car had a bit more go in it.
A week later I gave the car some hammer and managed to get 117mph out of it. I wasn't able to get over 110mph before these mods.

If you wanna try it then get it off Ebay like I did for £17.50.
Oh and by the why when I took my manifold off after decoking the exhaust ports looked pretty clean.
so this stuff works then? is it worth using it on a car thats done 25000 or is the engine clean enough already! can you still notice the results now? how long ago did you do it and have you noticed any side affects in the car since doing it?
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
ashy said:
I used this stuff not long ago and it does work. As soon as I drove the car after using it the car seemed smoother from the off. My car had done 60,000 miles.
A did this at the same time I fitted my ported manifold. First of all I de-coked the engine with this stuff then took the car for a spin.
A noticible improvement then fitted my ported manifold. Took it for another spin, felt like the car had a bit more go in it.
A week later I gave the car some hammer and managed to get 117mph out of it. I wasn't able to get over 110mph before these mods.

If you wanna try it then get it off Ebay like I did for £17.50.
Oh and by the why when I took my manifold off after decoking the exhaust ports looked pretty clean.

I thought that was the de-burring that gave you the extra 10mph?? u say one thing in one thread then change it in another!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
I thought that was the de-burring that gave you the extra 10mph?? u say one thing in one thread then change it in another!
soo ashy talks bull s*** then i thought soo! still had no reply about info on the results of the powerboost!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
greeny said:
soo ashy talks bull s*** then i thought soo! still had no reply about info on the results of the powerboost!
If you read the post clever cloggs you will see that I said that I did the manifold at the same time as the Power boost.
Power boost then ported manifold all at the same time. The difference was apparant after doing the Powerboost only as I took it for a spin and the engine was smoother.
Then I added the deburred manifold and took it for another spin. Better response and better top end was noticible after doing the manifold. Then a week later managed to hit 117mph.

Where in any of my posts did I say that the Powerboost gave me better top end alone? Read 'em again!

And as for the 117mph Greeny. You still seem unable to grasp the fact that I said I did it after doing some mods. So where is the bulls..t in that.

In future just don't bother asking any questions here as you seem to have ALL the answers anyway and won't accept a damn thing anyone else says!:twak2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
ashy said:
If you read the post clever cloggs you will see that I said that I did the manifold at the same time as the Power boost.
Power boost then ported manifold all at the same time. The difference was apparant after doing the Powerboost only as I took it for a spin and the engine was smoother.
Then I added the deburred manifold and took it for another spin. Better response and better top end was noticible after doing the manifold. Then a week later managed to hit 117mph.

Where in any of my posts did I say that the Powerboost gave me better top end alone? Read 'em again!

And as for the 117mph Greeny. You still seem unable to grasp the fact that I said I did it after doing some mods. So where is the bulls..t in that.

In future just don't bother asking any questions here as you seem to have ALL the answers anyway and won't accept a damn thing anyone else says!:twak2:
you think you no it all not me! im only asking questions to your answers! what you say always seems to b right are you ever wrong mate? hows that super 200 running mate thats all i asked still ticking over all right still gettin 117 out of it because if you keep top ending it cant c that super 1400 lasting long buddy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I have used this spray in 2 cars, the 1st was a 100K 420GSi, on this it just made the engine run a bit smoother, nothing to write home about.

The 2nd car I used it on was a 67K 220Gsi, this had a rather bad sticky valve problem when cold starting which would last for about 7 minutes, also the car was missing the oomph that the 420 had, After using the product the sticking valve had cleared up and mucho power was restored, BUT 6months later the sticking valve is back so its time for a head job :***: .

All in all, imo not a bad product, would be good for a dodgy used car salesman to smooth out a rough engine, as far as long term effects not so fantastic.

As I said this is all my opinion of using it, not to say that it doesnt cause problems sometimes (as I totally agree with the theory) but lucky no probs for me.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
MattA said:
I have used this spray in 2 cars, the 1st was a 100K 420GSi, on this it just made the engine run a bit smoother, nothing to write home about.

The 2nd car I used it on was a 67K 220Gsi, this had a rather bad sticky valve problem when cold starting which would last for about 7 minutes, also the car was missing the oomph that the 420 had, After using the product the sticking valve had cleared up and mucho power was restored, BUT 6months later the sticking valve is back so its time for a head job :***: .

All in all, imo not a bad product, would be good for a dodgy used car salesman to smooth out a rough engine, as far as long term effects not so fantastic.

As I said this is all my opinion of using it, not to say that it doesnt cause problems sometimes (as I totally agree with the theory) but lucky no probs for me.:)
Thanks mate you have agreed with exactly what I was trying to explain to someone here who doesn't read posts properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
right well, I really cant make up my mind weather to use this stuff because I've read some good reviews and shizzle and all your posts about it, some get good some get bad, I dont know weather to chance it and wreck my car, or use it and improve it
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top