MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Anyone know exactly where I stand about getting my money back for a replacement tyre after hitting a huge pothole on a council road?

I am going to get photos of the pothole and the tyre and a statement from the tyre center saying that the tyre needed to be replaced. Do i just write to them and wait for the cheque, or am I opening a whole box of red tape?

I am fairly certain they are liable in law.

Shame really as the tyre was only 3 days old.

Cheers All.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
if i were you id go take some photos, with something to scale in them like a 50p peice, so they can determine the depth of the hole - before they fill it over that is ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Take photos, and pressurize them. Up here in underprivileged Northumberland we have potholes the size of cars, and are always getting punctures, get on to your local council and they should EVENTUALLY do something about it.

And yes they are liable.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
underprivaliged northumberland?

its like the nicest area up north you can live! :lol:

(which admitedly doesnt say much but you know!)

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
a friend of mine tried this to have no joy, his situation was worse though.

He buckled an alloy on his brand new car by hitting a pot hole on a coucil road. Didnt get anything back after photos etc etc so dont hold your breath.

good luck :broon:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Write a letter explaining exactly how and where it happened. Include some photos, but be quick in taking them, so you have evidence before they fill it in. Include a map as well showing the approximate location.

Send all of this via recorded delivery (therefore it's tracked, and they have to sign it). Give them a call as well and get the exact department to send it to. :)

Rich.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything has got complicated since I started talking to the people around the road it happened on. The council have not adopted the road, and say that Charitable organisation A owns it.

Party B (A business who use the road as access) says party C owns it, and Party C (a golf course) tells me that the council own it. Party C showed me a bunch of letters including some deeds from 1986 saying that the council owns it.

The battle has been ongoing for several years, and it appears I have walked in to a very complicated boundary dispute!!!!

From what I can tell the council own the land, but have not adopted their own road!!!!!!????

I will know more tomorrow morning once I have got in contact with charity A.

For information the pothole was 2'6" x 2' in size, and 3-5" deep.

Looks like I am in it for the log haul, however, the golf course said one of his customers had similar damage and the council's insurance paid out for him, so I have precedent on my side.

I'll keep you updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts