MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok

I was just surfing around plusnet and having a look at how much bandwidth i've used this month. It got me thinking that i seem to use quite a lot in any given month and i was interested to see what everyone elses usage stats are (if you know them), or an estimate of usage each month.

Just to start off my usage for Oct-Nov stands at 123Gb and my usage so far this month is 103Gb. Is that a lot??!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I stopped counting how much downloading i was doing, over 2 years ago, but then i was at some stupid rates, in 1 month i know i downloaded over 4000mp3 files and about 50 films, roughly around 700mb and countless software programs, the pc was runing 24/7 all i did was keep adding to the downloads, as well as hosting ghost recon server and a teamspeak server..... then i got a nice email from my isp, asking me what business i was running.....

Im still with the same isp, just i dont download quite as much, unless you class downloading beta test compute games, and all there updates, and running joint operation escalation server and a teamspeak server...

For those tho dont know what teamspeak is, its a VOI program (voice over internet), talk no type, much better for online gaming,. and also to save all that typing in msn, the software is free, and if anybody who has the software wants to join us on TS there welcome, just pm me and ill send you the ip's

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
depends who your with, plusnet have a handy little meter on their website.

Recently though plusnet have noticed an increase in users utilising their bandwidth fully 24/7 for the full month. As a result they have introduced a new rule, if you use 200Gb in a month then you may (if their is enough room) be moved to a seperate node with all the other users that are using high bandwidths. The result of which is that all those users that are using large amounts of bandwidth are put on the same node and have to battle against each other for space. I think the resulting cap comes out at around 30Kb/s download regardless of the service you are on. If you behave you get put back on a standard node and get your full bandwidth back.

A bit extreme but there ya go.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehe type in suprnova into google and have a look :p

(although knowing you you'll be dissapointed that it isn't what ya thinking)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Not really, i found that after a few months of continually downloading things at high speeds, it tends to wear off.....

What i did notice that No matter how fast your connection is, after a few weeks of the speed upgrade, it just seems that its slow, and you need a connection that is faster still, ive been on adsl, and now on ntl, and it seems as slow as 56k, (untill i try to use 56k, its like waiting a month for a download), How do you lot on 56k cope, you must certainly drink lots of coffee while waiting to download things....

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
i average around 2 ish gig a day no more. i prefer to shut the server off at night as its a noisey blighter.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
M0KAS said:
What i did notice that No matter how fast your connection is, after a few weeks of the speed upgrade, it just seems that its slow, and you need a connection that is faster still, ive been on adsl, and now on ntl, and it seems as slow as 56k, (untill i try to use 56k, its like waiting a month for a download), How do you lot on 56k cope, you must certainly drink lots of coffee while waiting to download things....
Don't download that much! ;)

Seriously, although I'm on 56k, it's a cable connection so is usually pretty good for a dialup connection.
I do the odd download and just wait for it... If it takes half an hour thats how long it takes, I'll have to wait! It doesn't bother me too much and it doesnt really slow my PC down that much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i stopped counting when i hit the 10mb line in my room at uni, £70 a year for 1.5mbps transfer speeds....its a students dream :)

MW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts