MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing that there are some older K-Series on the road that are susceptible to HGF and perhaps have already had their HGF done, what is the post-HGF failure reliability of K-Series like?

If they have a problem which is apparently corrected after about year 2000 then can the corrections and whatever mods be incorporated into the HGF repair work? Or is the HGF likely to go again even if the job is done well?

I understand the problem is due to long head bolts stretching and uneven heating.

Or another question, if I purchased a K powered P reg MGF then would it be worth having the HGF work done pre-emptively?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting the head gasket changed unless there is a need.

Some mgf's got to quite high mileage before the HG failed.
Also a friend of mine has a 2002 MGTF with all the latest spec dowels/gasket etc and that blew it's HG a few months ago.

Really all you can do is keep an eye on it and if it starts to lose coolant then get it looked at asap.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amagoza said:
Also a friend of mine has a 2002 MGTF with all the latest spec dowels/gasket etc and that blew it's HG a few months ago.
Are all the dowels and stuff used in a HG replacement later stuff, or are they designed differently and I would need the old stuff?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts