MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just posted this up in the for sale section, but i was just thinking, they stopped using these about 5 years ago now, so what are the chances of this being the last one in the country? lol
Linky here

·
Registered
905 Posts
Is nobody reconditioning these yet, there has always been a market for re-con alts,starter motors and now ecu's,brake calipers even rec-con clucthes.

So must be a market to re-con these.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day and wondered what would happen when supplies dry up. I checked the suspension diagrams between F and TF and from the basic line drawings they look similar, following on from this, how easy would it be to convert to TF spec and do away with the hydragas system?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Err...
What is it? :wtf:
It is a hydragas/hydrolastic suspension unit. They were used instead of a damper and spring, first used in the 60's i beleive with the Mini's etc. Continued use in the 90's in the Rover Metro and 100 series and also, obviously, the MGF. It's here if you fancy a read.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about this the other day and wondered what would happen when supplies dry up. I checked the suspension diagrams between F and TF and from the basic line drawings they look similar, following on from this, how easy would it be to convert to TF spec and do away with the hydragas system?
Itis obviously possible to do the conversion as i have done it myself, but it is very time consuming and although they look the same, they are not!
The chassis is also different in places, and means hacking away at some of the redundant parts to get the frames to clear properly! Definately not a direct swap jobby!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The TF's suspension was designed so that it could be retro fitted to the F, as MG that production of Hydragas components would end when the TF was released.
As Kris says, retrofitting the TF suspension does involve a large amount of work though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts