MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
The Wedgie was, I beleive , a 2000 model and this is a X reg.

I am to suggest that I need a good long test drive. As I said before may get it for £2200 - he said he would wait til he got £2400 even if it took until summer cos he thought he would get it then and cos it was so spot on !
What do you think?

I was going to test drive it from his to mine 30 miles-ish. Normal roads and a good motorway/m1 run and back again. That should be a good test.
At home my wife can cast her sceptical eye over and hopefully go back with me and BUY it?!

Any more advise and commects greatfully accepted... I will be back on later this evening..

Thanks
Peter

Is this the one we are talking about..??

Yes, you need to give it a good long test drive to make sure there are no high temperature issues.

The seller can hold on to it as prices will rise between Easter and summer as we come into the soft top season.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah, but not much... I had no answer to my calls yesterday. But late last night I had a txt.. So contact made today and I may be going tonight..

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
In my opinion overpriced, Sorry. Just cos he has spent loads of money on doing HGF etc, doesnt make it worth any more.

If a car is worth £1900, then you spend £650 doing the head gasket etc, its still only worth £1900.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Update again.
No reply from the guy again. I would have thought that if you had somat for sale you would be awaiting calls/at least call back, eh?

New update: He called me eventually, when I had no signal, and left a message for ME to call him back.. Anyway this was too late for me to set off in order to view.

It may be fate! It just makes me feel uneasy all this plus he has not answered any of my questions when I sent him an email - even though he did reply. This may lead me to not going ahead at all - we'll see.
I may go back to looking for a Trophy.

I let him stew now. Although I have a hunch that he doesn't care.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Hi guys...
Latest is: The guy sent me a txt saying that he was outside when I rang so he did not hear it - fair enough... But he gave the reg no...

I checked it and it was a Cat D in 2001 and had 6 prev owners.
He failed to mention that !
Wise choice - it pays to do the research.

Good luck in your hunt

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks POLO... Just thought though - Heh I might be getting good at MG models - On the photo the wheels do not look like the supposed "16" 6-square spoke design" I read about for the VVC ?!

What do you think? Did they do a 2001 with the 8 spoke?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thats what I found out .. However I have searched the web and found other cars for sale - past and present ads - with the same wheels..

Thats if I search ALUMINA GREEN which is the only c0olour that I think it looks like..

I will check the code when I go and see what the tacho says..
Ta

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hi. I am going to view the VVC either tomoz or Sunday..
I have learned that it has been stored for about a year - but went for MOT last month, so has had a run. New bits for MOT shocks, bushes + whatever needed.
Any suggestions as to what I should look for after being stood for so long are appreciated (MGF-wise)..
Therefore too there will be no tax, which bothers me for any test run. I do not know what to think about that!?
Again any guidance or ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Hi. I am going to view the VVC either tomoz or Sunday..
I have learned that it has been stored for about a year - but went for MOT last month, so has had a run. New bits for MOT shocks, bushes + whatever needed.
Any suggestions as to what I should look for after being stood for so long are appreciated (MGF-wise)..
Therefore too there will be no tax, which bothers me for any test run. I do not know what to think about that!?
Again any guidance or ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

Flat spots on tyres, flat battery and the usual MGF stuff of coolant, oil etc.

You've got to drive it..!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks
Yeah - I got to drive it but how far can I do that with no tax, eh?!
Anyway I will see.
Tyres, yep - I dint think of that & they might have poor walls now. MOT should have picked up but, mmm.

Which are the worst places for corrosion and/or rust?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Update

Hi. The owner of the VVC put me off yesterday as I was on my way. So arranged for today. Received a text saying the MG is now not for sale..
Looks like fate sticks it's oar in again.
I look for more/others - or perhaps it's not meant to be !?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Don't be put off though - if it was not meant to be it will be for a reason - there is a better one waiting around the corner.

Are you looking privately because they are cheaper? I have seen a gorgeous F in a garage near me, and there is also a lovely TF very reasonably priced too.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts