MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been interested for a while in the MGF/TF range and have been looking for one to check out..
I have tried to bid, offer and meet prices for a MGF se wedgewood, MGF Trophy, MGTF Sunthighy and others. I am still really stuck at which model and at the mo' trying to find the best car for the money, I guess..
I nearly have ruled out the Trophy due to the web's suggestions that the ride may be a little hard ?! But I really like it.
I am to go and see a local MGF 2001 Y reg 1.8 vvc - owned last 2 years but garaged most of the time due to travelling. ' says HG done as she bought it (so 2 years then) just done MOT, tyres, suspension bits plus others. It's a must sell cos not using it and need money for a Clio or somat more practical as has a horse and cannot carry stuff and get to field etc.
* Am I wasting my time on a 2001 Y MGF as will have tons to put right? (60,000 miles)

Thanks for any advise
KPM2010

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
As long as you go into it with your eyes open then you won't go far wrong.

Read the buying guide thread HERE and a good check over by anyone half competent should pick up any major issues.

As long as you are happy with it then go for it. You should be able to pick one up reasonably cheap and put some cash aside for the repairs that are inevitable with any 10 year old car.

PS - The Wedgwood is a lovely SE

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, Paul.
Yeah I really like the Wedgewood but for the 118hp engine?!

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Hi mate we have three F's all quite a bit older than the one you are looking at, a 96 a 97 and a 99. ive. All lovely tight cars to drive, little sign of wear, other than normal day to day

The 96 on 60k was bought without mot two tyres front brakes and sailed through, lovely to drive couple of car park dings. 97 on 102k was suspected hgf, was actually water pump, very nice to drive needs a couple of bits of trim. the 99 120k clutch gone. leather a bit worn, couple of coolant issues now sorted.

My advice dont pay over the odds, the prices vary unbelievably. Could I ask what they want for it.

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
Hi KPM2010 and welcome to the best F/TF forums ever.

Give the Trophy a try, get a ride in one and see what you think of the ride, it might just suit you. The Trophy F is a bit special and if it is the one you like it is well worth a look.

I have owned a Sunstorm and it was a great car, came with a hard top, the nicer wheels and breaks and the bright pack (silver grills, bright door handles, chrome ashtray cover etc.) The SE and LE models do come with some very nice extras.

I really like the Wedgewood SE, love the colour, it suits the F well.

Do not worry about age or mileage, it is condition and service history that counts. If you can find a car that was owned by an enthusiast, so much the better.

Have a look here for some very useful information http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/mgf_history.htm

Good luck with your search, do not be afraid to ask for any help or advice on here, the members are a great bunch and very helpful.

All the best, John.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice...
The F starting point is around 1900£ - I am thinking 1500 though so far because if nearer the 2k mark I think I would prefer to spend up to 3k mark for the wedgie or the TFs I have seen.

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
Thanks for your advice...
The F starting point is around 1900£ - I am thinking 1500 though so far because if nearer the 2k mark I think I would prefer to spend up to 3k mark for the wedgie or the TFs I have seen.
Sounds very sensible to me.

I would struggle to decide :)

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
At this time of year the prices have just started to rise, unless it is in extreme good condition, I would personally, say your £1500 is on the mark. but i wouldnt want to pay much more. Its a buyers market at the moment. So go in lower and give yourself room to manouver.

May be worth a phone call say look I am interested but think its more than iI am willing to pay, whats the very lowest you will take, if they only move a bit. Think about topping up ang getting something else.

These cars vary wildly, you will see them go for a few hundred and same model year everything, advertised for three grand.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The Trophy is not that bad for ride quality, i use mine everyday for a 30 mile each way commute. (thats even with my suspension problems!) Speed humps are not much fun though!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again.. Advice it just what I needed...
I have just called about a Wedgie - he said somebody was there to see the car - so I may be too late for this one, but it sounded good to me. 2100£. What do you think to that?
Ta

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
Thanks again.. Advice it just what I needed...
I have just called about a Wedgie - he said somebody was there to see the car - so I may be too late for this one, but it sounded good to me. 2100£. What do you think to that?
Ta
Sounds a good price, but it will depend on condition. Any links to the advert?

What sort of money are you looking to spend, tops? Remember to keep a bit of your budget back in case it needs any jobs doing to it. Are you hoping to buy private or from a dealer?

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Budget, your location (and range in which you are willing to travel to view / collect) and what you really want the car for (be it just trolling around with the roof down, or if you want a good amount of power for the driving experience) are all good things to know to help a decision.

Happy hunting, though, plenty out there! :broon:

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
That's rather smart! :)

I'd be worried about why the power steering warning light is illuminated, though. Would be a good question to ask! :broon:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts