MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:err:

I had some sort of noise come from the steering column recently.More noticable when car was on full lock and reversing.I thought it was a bearing of some sort,but if i touch the front coil spring whilst the steering wheel is turned from side to side i can feel a "twang".This only happens on the drivers side.i suspect my coil is broken,although the car still drives fine.Is this normal? And more importantly is this safe.I cant get the car repaired till saturday and im using it for work......:err:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You should be able to see if the spring is broken by inspection and without turning the steering wheel at the same time. A break should be pretty obvious. Check particularly at the bottom of the spring where it sits in the carrier.

Also search this forum for 'twang' , 'twanging' and 'front suspension'

This has come up before on this forum so you should find something
but whatever you find I would get it looked at asap

Hope this helps

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am reading somewhere about colour coded springs.How can i tell the difference? Am i looking at the colour of the springs or a paint mark on the spings? And is it possible to identify before removing them?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I am reading somewhere about colour coded springs.How can i tell the difference? Am i looking at the colour of the springs or a paint mark on the spings? And is it possible to identify before removing them?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Springs are a pain in the **** ! There are so many of them listed.

It is pretty straightforward though.

The actual springs have a couple of dabs of paint on them. For example mine had a dab of blue and green paint on them. If you clean off the spring you may get lucky and find the paint code but dont bank on it cos there does not seem a set position for the paint to be applied. Mine was in a place which you could'nt see unless you dismantled it. Really useful !!

However all R75/MG ZT's have the spring/damper codes on a label which is stuck to the metal of the car underneath the back seat on the nearside. To access just lift the front edge of the seat cushion (its only held by two spring clips one left one right of the car) move any carpet or covering to expose bare metal and you should see the label. Its in the area of the fuel filter.

Carefully copy what you see on the label (or take a digital photo as I did so you save the detail outside the car) and replace carpet/covering and seat.

As far as front suspension is concerned you will see a two letter code one each for left and right (mine was PG and JG). In my case both these corresponded to Blue Green. Yours may well be different to mine

Armed with the codes and your VIN number you can order a new spring for the car.

It is advisable to replace both front springs at the same time because :

1/ If one has broken then its likely that its opposite number came from the same batch and may also be suspect.

2/ A new spring may give a slightly different ride height so replacing both keeps the car on an even keel.

You may also consider replacing the top strut bearings at the same time as they are known to wear. Usually gives a clicking feeling through the steering as you turn the wheel if worn.

The bearings cost about £13.50 + vat each and they are easily accesible when doing the springs. In effect the bearings cost nothng in labour if replaced at the same time as the springs.

Hope all this helps. If you do have difficulty in locating the springs (or bearings) post again cos somebody may be able to help in finding them IF YOU GET PART NUMBER.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Top suspension swivel joint by the sounds of it

It should be very noticeable if a spring has broken and if by any chance you suspect one has DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR
is this the bearing on top of the strut ?, i get a twang from the drivers side coil spring whilst touching with someone turning the wheels albeit very slight. Does this point to spring or bearing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.