MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porsche working on a Porsche-Golf for 2012?

As weird as this may sound, it seems Porsche is working on a Porsche badged Volkswagen Golf for 2012. Now, we know that the Volkswagen Golf is a huge success, but a Porsche version of the car seems like a totally absurd idea; unless of course Porsche is postioning itself to become more mainstream and compete with BMW.

The picture above is on the cover of the new AutoBild magazine. The caption next to it read (in German) ”kompakte geheim-projekte bis 2012. der porsche-golf.” That translates to “compact secret projects until 2012. the Porsche-Golf.”

Last week, Porsche officially submitted an offer to acquire shares of Volkswagen, which will give it total control of Germany’s largest auto maker. If the bid goes through, it’s obvious Porsche and Volkswagen will share even a larger number of their platforms, but a Porsche-Golf will definitely take away the factor that sets Porsche apart from other German luxury auto makers.
SOURCE: Autobild

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
a Porsche-Golf will definitely take away the factor that sets Porsche apart from other German luxury auto makers
LOL, shurely it just takes Porsche full circle back to it's roots with the KDFwagen? Why do these writers always conveniently forget where both Porsche and VW came form?

Maybe Porsche just fancied another go at a VW-Porsche like the 914... :p

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
WEll that looks like a cross between a Peugeot on a Mercades! Not sure that is a good mix!
Put the looks to one side for a moment, but shurely it'll just destroy Audi A3/S3 sales? Shades of BMC and BL in terms of overlapping brands and models if you ask me (but I'd be more than happy for them to do it if it does have that effect!).

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Exactly it's a good idea, especially if it's a bit upmarket from Audi and BMW, but will Porsche still be cool?
Is it a good idea? Really? All the Chavvy (in the UK at least) Golf GTi and Aldi A3/S3 drivers will want them (just look at BMW for that), thus diluting the aspirational qualities that Porsche has/had. Personally I'm neither a Porsche or VW fan so I'm more than happy for them to get badge engineering - I'd hasn't really worked with Seat and it didn't work for BMC/BL...

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
I don't care if its a good idea or not, I'm going to want one and so will everyone else.
And thus Porsche will become as popular as a BMW 3-series, after which people will start to not want them as they are 'too popular'. Just look what happened to Rover, and Ford's fleet sales in the Cortina/Sierra/Mondeo & Granada market just show what happens when the market get awash - the things lose their attractiveness.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
What can happen in 5 years...

Oh and another thing.

Reflect on Rover in BMWs first 5 years - 1994 to 1999.

Just think, something akin to that could happen to Porsche with VW, especially when faced with competition from China, nevermind anywhere else.

At lot could happen by 2012.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Put the looks to one side for a moment, but shurely it'll just destroy Audi A3/S3 sales? Shades of BMC and BL in terms of overlapping brands and models if you ask me (but I'd be more than happy for them to do it if it does have that effect!).
I don't think it would hit A3 sales, surely most A3's are company/lease cars and a premium priced porsche would be out of the range of most A3 fleet buyers.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
>>>> but a Porsche version of the car seems like a totally absurd idea; unless of course Porsche is postioning itself to become more mainstream and compete with BMW. <<<<

Last week, Porsche officially submitted an offer to acquire shares of Volkswagen, which will give it total control of Germany’s largest auto maker.
My immediate first reaction on seeing that profile shot was .... BMW-1-series !

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
They could use recylced rusting seel for the golf, stick a Porsche badge on it and sell it with no engine and it would still sell by the bucket load. So yes, it's a good idea. The day will come where everyone who can afford it (or wants it to be known they can) will be living in a Porsche or BMW. You won't be able to move for them, but they will still be exclusive!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
1. Why when Porsche sort of have Audi ?!

2. Why Golf platform if they could use the Cayman/Boxter platform ?!
I mean, would you go for a front engined transversal FWD Porsche or a mid engine longitudinal RWD one ?!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't see it happening personally...for a top of the range hatch, there's the Audi A3/S3 and Golf GTI and R32/R36, it's not the right vehicle for a Porsche badge...that said, what if Porsche were instead working on a Porsche-engineered GTI/R32/S3? It's happened before with the Audi RS2.

Of course, i didn't see Porsche launching a takeover bid for VW (albeit a forced one they wanted to lose) so who knows what Piech has planned for the future at Porsche/VAG/MAN (he's now the Supervisory Board Chairman there too) and Scania...

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Of course, i didn't see Porsche launching a takeover bid for VW (albeit a forced one they wanted to lose) so who knows what Piech has planned for the future at Porsche/VAG/MAN (he's now the Supervisory Board Chairman there too) and Scania...
Ahh, but I do see a full takeover coming, for convienience. They already have overall control of VAG. It's got nothing to do with whether it's sensible business, but more to do with protecting VAG from non-German hands without upsetting the EU and more importantly, protecting expensive German workers jobs, rights and social benefits.

Porsche may be the world's most profitable car maker - making small numbers of niche cars - but running VAG with a very expensive and underproductive German car plants and the truck business on top is as daft as Leyland Trucks in the early 1960s thinking it could run volume car companies. It's destined to fail, especially with the Yanks on the defensive and the Chinese on the horizon.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Ahh, but I do see a full takeover coming, for convienience. They already have overall control of VAG. It's got nothing to do with whether it's sensible business, but more to do with protecting VAG from non-German hands without upsetting the EU and more importantly, protecting expensive German workers jobs, rights and social benefits.

Porsche may be the world's most profitable car maker - making small numbers of niche cars - but running VAG with a very expensive and underproductive German car plants and the truck business on top is as daft as Leyland Trucks in the early 1960s thinking it could run volume car companies. It's destined to fail, especially with the Yanks on the defensive and the Chinese on the horizon.
I tend to disagree with this in several areas. Firstly, if it's solely to keep VAG out of foreign hands, Porsche doesn't need any larger a stake. They have ~31% of VAG, Lower Saxony has ~20%, together that's 51%, enough to kill/outvote any foreign influence. However, it has been done moreso for Porsche to protect it's own rear because if VW was taken over and the Touareg project axed, the Cayenne would go with it and that has accounted for a sizable slice of Porsche's profits recently, and should do so for a while yet!

I still don't see a 100% takeover of VW, i think Piech has taken note of how well the Renault-Nissan Alliance management structure works, and therefore Porsche will build up a stake of around ~50% in VW, and VW will in turn have a stake of no more than ~50% in Scania/MAN/Combined truckmaker. In this way, Porsche Management will concentrate on Porsche but will have a reasonable say on how VW is run, but will ultimately leave it up to VW Management for the day to day running, likewise VW will have say in Scania/MAN, but their respective management teams will do most of it. I don't see VAG finding themselves in the American's position anytime soon...they are fixing their European issues, they are very well represented in China (second largest selling brand in China) and are working on setting up in India, and most importantly, they are profitable as a group, and have been for years.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Is it a good idea? Really? All the Chavvy (in the UK at least) Golf GTi and Aldi A3/S3 drivers will want them (just look at BMW for that), thus diluting the aspirational qualities that Porsche has/had. Personally I'm neither a Porsche or VW fan so I'm more than happy for them to get badge engineering - I'd hasn't really worked with Seat and it didn't work for BMC/BL...

It worked for Seat till 2005. The problems started afterwards with the new design, repositioning and self redundant models.

And Porsche won't make a FWD transversal engine car, cause they go VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda for that.

For BMW it's just a return to the roots, since the 3er now has moved up in the slot of the old 5 series, with 1 series having counterparts in the 02 series (and first 2 gen. 3ers) witch camed as a 2 door sedan/coupe, convertible and 3 door hatchback, with only the 5 door hatchback not having any historical equivalent.

Diluting ?!

Well BMW's gained traction with 02 series witch camed as:
1502, 1602, 1802, 2002, 2002 Ti, 2002 Tii and 2002 Turbo.

The 02 and first 2 gen 3ers didn't diluted BMW's brand (on the contrary) so now the new more expensive/upscale customisable 1 series won't do it either.

Besides do to various taxes even an 120i or 120d costs over 30k euros.
Here's the spec. of an aquentance in Greece.

(BMW 120i Sport: 34,750)

-Xenon headlights (€1,023)
-Mirror package with electronically folding (€300)
-Lights package (€262)
-Chrome line exterior (€174)
-Silver front grills...like the ones that are on the 130i (€??)
-Plates and delivery expenses (€670)
-Metallic paint (€799)

TOTAL: €37,978

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
LOL, shurely it just takes Porsche full circle back to it's roots with the KDFwagen? Why do these writers always conveniently forget where both Porsche and VW came form?

Maybe Porsche just fancied another go at a VW-Porsche like the 914... :p

The KDF wagen was rear engined RWD, not transversal front engined FWD.
In fact the "inspiration" Porsche received from closely studying the rear-engine, aircooled V8 Tatra and the rear-engine, air-cooled flat-four Tatra designed by Hans Ledwinka. Ledwinka sued Porsche for copying his design and received a settlement from Porsche after a judge agreed with him.

Dr. F. Porsche was in effect the creator of the mid engined layout witch he introduced to GP racing with the Auto Union Silver Arrows. Later the Coopers reintroduced this layout to Formula 1.
He realy wanted a mid engined car, not a rear engined one, but the WWII and decisions of the allies meant he could only chop the roof of a Bettle, in Austria, and sell it as a Porsche 356/1.

The 914 was mid engined RWD, and while 914/4 was a VW, the 914/6 (GT) was a real Porsche since it replaced VW parts (including engine) with 911 ones. Problem was it was better than the entry level 911s (being mid engined it had better weight distribution and lower polar inertia) so it was killed.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
I tend to disagree with this in several areas. Firstly, if it's solely to keep VAG out of foreign hands, Porsche doesn't need any larger a stake. They have ~31% of VAG, Lower Saxony has ~20%, together that's 51%, enough to kill/outvote any foreign influence.
Ah well that's where you're wrong - Lower Saxony (aka the German Government by proxy) have been told in no uncertain terms by the EU Commission that they must dispose of their stake in VAG and repeal the 'VW Law' or else the EU will start proceedings against both Germany and VAG on the grounds of illegal protectionism.

Porsche buying a larger stake (from Lower Saxony!) means VAG stays in German control and it gets the EU off their backs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts