MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to a friend last night who was contemplating buying a new car. He rattled off the usual list - Audi, Merc, B*W etc. - without once mentioning MG. As soon as I suggested it, he told me that he would be mad to even consider MG as they were going under and that he'd be left with car made by a defunct manufacturer and no dealer network to back up the warranty.

I have to say that, despite my loyalties, I was unable to convince him otherwise. What should I tell him (or anyone else that is of the same opinion) to relieve him of this mental barrier which is preventing him from becoming the proud owner of a future classic car?

I don't mean, that I should convince him that MG won't go under (I mean, let's face it, there's no guarantee that it won't). I mean how can I convince him that it would still be a good deal even if (god forbid) the worst does happen.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tell him not to be a leming like everybody else and go the MG way.

Tell him it's a great car and he can get a wicked discount.

Tell him an angel appeared to you and urged you to convince him to buy a British made car. :s2h:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I am waiting for a ZR 120 SE and have spoken direct to MG to try and get a date, and they told me that part of the reason for the delay is that they have been overwhelmed with recent orders...doesn't sound like a company in demise.

·
Registered
rover_75
460 Posts
Tell him that he and his like are purveyors of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That it will be his fault if MG Rover go to the wall.
That it will be his fault if thousands of people lose their jobs.
That it will be his fault if once proud men and women are made destitute.
That it will be his fault if Britain's manufacturing base crumbles.
That it will be his fault if the British economy fails.
That it will be his fault if children starve to death.

That should do it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
MG ZR VIRGIN said:
Well I am waiting for a ZR 120 SE and have spoken direct to MG to try and get a date, and they told me that part of the reason for the delay is that they have been overwhelmed with recent orders...doesn't sound like a company in demise.

There are new ZRs all over the place, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MG ZR VIRGIN said:

They should sell more now because the advert in todays paper suggests that they are trying to give them away.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Buttyboy said:
Tell him that he and his like are purveyors of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That it will be his fault if MG Rover go to the wall.
That it will be his fault if thousands of people lose their jobs.
That it will be his fault if once proud men and women are made destitute.
That it will be his fault if Britain's manufacturing base crumbles.
That it will be his fault if the British economy fails.
That it will be his fault if children starve to death.

That should do it.
Couldn't agree more. And if you can't persuade him to buy an MG now ('cos he's a shameful doubting Thomas- although you had best not pass on that remark as it might offend) convince him, once you have established that this is the only possible reason why he won't order one, to hold off buying one of the ubiquitous German boxes until after the SAIC deal is either done or undone(if you are doom merchant), at which time he will realise the terrible error of his ways and be forever thankful that you showed him the path to enlightenment and true free thought.

·
Registered
mg_zs
767 Posts
Because the chassis has been in production for so many years (as the media keep reminding us!) it would be attractive proposition for any third party manufacturer to keep spares available I would imagine. The "classic" MG market has enough people to support some companies being able to supply you with nearly ever part for a "B" or earlier cars like the TA,TC,TD and TF. Add to the fact that some of the parts are interchangable with Honda parts and you probably won't have to worry that *someone* will probably make spares if there is a buck to be had. Once a parts company has made the tooling the logical thing is to try and sell as many parts as possible!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Richard, that was more like the practical answer I was looking for. Whilst I agree with most of the other answers on this thread about patriotism, saving British jobs, not following the crowd down the B*W path etc., my friend and other potential MGR customers need to be re-assured that they PERSONALLY won't lose out having spent thousands of their hard earned pounds on a product for which they may receive little or no after sales service.

Does anybody know what would happen to a warranty if MGR ceased to exist after buying one of their products?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know, but I would be surprised if in that instance anybody would honour the warranty.

I was trying to make a serious point in my earlier contribution though. If your friend is thinking about a new car and likes the MG, but has his doubts about the companies future, then why doesn't he wait for a few weeks until the SAIC deal is announced. The future will then look much more assured. If the unthinkable happens and the deal doesn't go through it hasn't cost him anything, and he can go and buy whatever characterless German car he wants (sorry- couldn't resist that last bit). People on this site have indicated that the announcement could be on 20th April, although I don't know whether this is accurate, but in any case it can't be much after that, so it doesn't seem too long a period to wait for a car of true character and quality.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And it was a very valid point that you made, I'm just pointing out that when people are shelling out a lot of money for something, they are bound to be thinking in much more practical and selfish terms and it's these things that are putting people off MGR, regardless of how much they might care about the British car industry or the jobs of people that they don't know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but surely the point is that if your friend wants the car then the 'practical and selfish' assurances he needs are that MGR will continue to exist to honour his warranty and provide parts and support in the future. Once the SAIC deal is done that is as much security as you are going to get. If he wants an MG then this is a practical suggestion. If he wants to buy a car, any car, in the next couple of weeks, then he doesn't really want an MG and no amount of re-assurance will convince him that he does.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The reason I got an MG is BECAUSE the company is in need, and because its a top class car! :s2h:

Buy British, those germans are laughing at us.

·
Registered
73 Posts
And let's face it, BMW have made the choice easier now by producing hideous looking cars.
PS. On a recent 300 mile drive recently, I counted the number of ZT's in relation to sports versions of BMW/Audi/Merc saloons that I saw. Dozens of the germans but not one ZT.
That would sway me to MG if nothing else. Too many lemmings out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts