MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody explain to me why the general pommie public (and the British press in particular) are so keen to berate their local motor industry (and clearly with MGR being the last vestiges of it, it is the current target), but somehow are great supporters of genuine third-rate pommie 'products' like football & the national football team, British popular music, British TV, amongst numerous others (that collectively constitute 'Modern British Culture')?

Strictly speaking, it's these that should be subject to everyone's derision, but instead, it's a company striving to do something constructive that will add-to rather than detract-from the future viability of Britain, that finds itself being thrown to the wolves.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Good question mate. At this moment in time, I too am ashamed to be British. I just can't bear the thought that I am sharing an Island with the like of these idiots...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hate all this resentment towards the Guardian, it's one of the few papers that has acted respnsibly over all of this. The quite rightly exposed a pension scandal and mismanagement of the phoenix four, which believe it or not, is in the interest of the workers, the buyers and the public at large especially if we are expected to invest government money in the business.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
But there is no pension scandal, karni. The PH4 set up a pension fund. They paid money into it. So far so good, all car companies do it. Doesn't stop people buying non-MGR cars, doesn't mean the press report every company doing it. Its not ilegal to have a pension. MGR and PH4 got hammered. They took money out. They got hammered. Nope still nothing wrong. The select committee investigated. Found nothing wrong. There was some concern that PH4 didn't counter-act the bad publicity by making financial gestures. Hardly an inditement.

So I resent the the Guardian (and the other press to a lesser extent) for whipping up a story accusing and implying there is a pensions scandal when there never was one.

What mismangement by the PH4? They kept an incomplete basket case (copyrite global auto industry) and kept it going for 5 years instead of the expected (by experts) 6 months. They moved vulnerable assets and potential profits away from the MGR part of the business so BMW wouldn't have to be paid back. They developed a new car and looked for a partner so they could spread development over two platforms instead of one.

You will not be able to give one example of action by PH4 that was not in the interests of MGR or the workers.

Bu the Guardian (and the other papers) thinks as you do, and I resent that because it is not based in fact.

Gow of the Guardian was well aware of the effect of the publicity on sales by February last year. The sales drops match the media's periodic negative stories like a glove. Having realised the power his pen could weald (and the chain reaction with other press involved) he confidently 'predicted' MGR would be desperate for the government to save it just before the general election.
He and his paper have never had a positive word to say about the PH4, MGR or it's products, and their self-fulfilling proficy looks like it might be coming true.

The doors are finally closing at longbridge and you can almost feal the happiness journalists like this are experiencing whilst sitting in their BMWs. And the consequences will be negative for the economy.

Do you honestly believe they care about the workers, buyers or public at large? OK, you don't want to invest your money in car making (so I guess though you agree with the Guardian's position, you DON'T have any concern for the workers, buyers or public at large).

Are you happy to put far more money into benefits, service sector retraining, more McDonalds, and see most of your money going to private developers who will pick up the real estate?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Karni said:
I hate all this resentment towards the Guardian, it's one of the few papers that has acted respnsibly over all of this. The quite rightly exposed a pension scandal and mismanagement of the phoenix four, which believe it or not, is in the interest of the workers, the buyers and the public at large especially if we are expected to invest government money in the business.
If you would have taken time to actually read some of the articles made by the Guardian recently you would have seen why everyone hates them. Their articles are nothing more than row after row of snide remarks. All they are doing is gunning for them to fail.

And I for one hope the Guardian move printing to India for it. It would serve them right...

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is all to do with a social engineering pattern laid down during the Thatcher years - basically individualism.

Think for a moment. What are the institutions hated by the press?

That's right, MGR, the BBC, organised religion (read C of E). Large bodies serving a common purpose with many dependent people, and basically seen some kind of threat to the establishment. Which is why the past 20-odd years have seen a demolition of Unions, large state companies, large industries, other bodies as well in favour of private enterprise, the selling off of Government departments. And supposedly this is in the name of smaller government when in fact the reverse is true.
So, to cut a long story very short, it means that with society turned in on itself, the smaller government can wield absolute power because the selfish gene has been well and truly injected into society and as long as we have our material items paid for by the unleashing of credit, the many false Gods of showbiz to worship instead of a common one to all, the populus at large will not care about decisions being made to whatever endgame, we can already witness the start of this by the falling number of people voting in elections.

And, as the laziest of students of 20th century world affairs would tell you, the suppression of the people thru contentment is one of the core elements of Nazism.

It's not about politics. It's about the ESTABLISHMENT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts