MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from someone who is close to MGR that the recent interventions by Brown and Blair have not been entirely welcome by those trying to seal the SAIC deal. Nothing has been signed off yet (as we know) - but thanks to our chums in New Labour, it appears that the deal could now be further delayed as the powers that be in China are getting nervous over the intervention of the British Government. What was once a deal with a private company has suddenly become a deal with a national government: quite a different kettle of fish.

This could be bad news for everyone concerned :(

What is also particularly annoying is that the politicians (it doesn't matter what political persuation they happen to have) will doubtless claim credit if the deal is successfully concluded, even though it had nothing to do with them, and if it falls through, they'll claim that they "did their best" - despite that their "best" may be contributory to the deal's failure... arrgh! :mad:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Seems a bit odd that it's OK for the Chinese government to stick its oar in, but not the British one. That's the trouble with dealing with Communists.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, I agree it's all very frustrating...

but 6,000 employees, marginal seats...it's one of those things...

·
Registered
863 Posts
What a bl***y surprise! When have any of this lot tried running a business?

As this weeks Autocar points out there is a sudden exagerated concern for MGR by HM Gov now an election is imminent. If they and the unions were that concerned why aren't they all drivi g MGR products. Each time I read about MP's and union leaders whinging about loss of UK jobs I ask what Brit made car do they drive? Still waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Adrian Robertsh said:
What a bl***y surprise! When have any of this lot tried running a business?

As this weeks Autocar points out there is a sudden exagerated concern for MGR by HM Gov now an election is imminent. If they and the unions were that concerned why aren't they all drivi g MGR products. Each time I read about MP's and union leaders whinging about loss of UK jobs I ask what Brit made car do they drive? Still waiting for an answer.

At least John Prescott does fill his boots on the Jags though! Was it "two Jags" or "three jags" they used to call him?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Personally ... I'm disappointed that Labour - oh wait, shouldn't I say New Labour / Labour using Old Tory policies ? - are encouraging this. Labour was always about fighting for the hard working public, fighting for keeping Britons in work, and quite a bit of nationalising ... New Labour seems to be a bit like Old Tory.

There are so many other ways in which the government could help MG-Rover without nationalising it ... they just don't seem to be interested though. It's as if they want MG-Rover to be sold off to the Chinese. Never been a Labour fan ... however this just cuts the cake (although unfortunately none of the other major political parties would do anything different ... Lib Dems have already stated clearly that the government is not there to "prop up failing businesses" and we all know the Tories' view).

Politicians eh! Who would have thought there was an election coming?
Jamie Oliver could probably do a better job tbh!
There is an election coming around the corner … however I personally don’t believe that MG-Rover will have a major impact. People are more worried about the NHS, crime, immigration and asylum … they’re less worried about MG-Rover as the majority drive cars such as Ford or Vauxhall.

Jamie Oliver … a better job? … Somehow I don’t think so. ;)
He may care dearly about what our kids are eating … however making him Home Secretary, Education Secretary or Secretary of Foreign Affairs … well … I’d rather not imagine. ;)

·
Registered
other_mg
49 Posts
I'm no big fan of Labour, but some of this criticism is absurd. If they did nothing, you'd all moan that they were doing nothing. If they do something, you dismiss it all as electioneering. A classic no-win situation. Glad i'm not in politics!

·
Registered
rover_75
417 Posts
Labour fighting for ordinary people when it comes to jobs..... so then can someone tell me why they have presided over 1,000,000 manufacturing job losses in their seven year tenure and also put £40bn of red tape on firms?

If anything in the past Labour fought for the trade unions (as their bully boys) to give the toff management of these firms a good kicking.

People have short memories that after the 70s, the Tories pumped £15bn in BL to get it on its feet again for a number of years (that's £60bn in today's money) and it was Labour's unions that got in the way. The money simply ran out, if you read Maggie's memoirs, one of her bigger regrets was not getting the car industry back on its feet as much as she wanted to. Hence courting the Japanese to build plants here and enter in the Rhonda partnership.

As for the Chinese Government getting the wind up, there is a lot of mutual respect between the two countries, we have long been trading partners and we have an excellent relationship for staying to our word (we did after all hand back Hong Kong). If anything it is a sign of respect, remember Chinese want this to happen just a much as MGR.

But then again this is New Labour...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Given that the EU (backed by the wonderful Tony) is about to start selling arms to China (despite protests from the U.S.), I would imagine the Beijing state will be only too delighted to rubber stamp the deal.

Would Tony *really* start lifting embargo's on communist states just to secure a couple of seats in the West Midlands?? I don't like the man but I think that is stretching the imagination.. Its all nicely timed though. Thats why Gordon Brown was out there- he wasn't just flogging old Rovers- he was selling weapons too- there's more money in that.....

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Midget1275 said:
I'm no big fan of Labour, but some of this criticism is absurd. If they did nothing, you'd all moan that they were doing nothing. If they do something, you dismiss it all as electioneering. A classic no-win situation. Glad i'm not in politics!
Totally agree. A few months ago the same Tory aplogists were screaming that the Govt was doing nothing. And as for anyone suggesting that Labour are destroying industrial jobs after the almost complete destruction of our industrial base by Thatcher and her supply side maniacs... :eek:mg:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lets not get into the whole "Labour is better than Tory" debate, at the end of the day I think we are all sensible enough to admit that whoever is in power they will always make mistakes and always tell pork pies on one level or another. Politicians are politicians.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm no big fan of Labour, but some of this criticism is absurd. If they did nothing, you'd all moan that they were doing nothing. If they do something, you dismiss it all as electioneering. A classic no-win situation. Glad I’m not in politics!
lol – It’s politics … a lovely world. :D
Though, I would begrudgingly commend Labour if they actually saved MG-Rover without selling it off to the Chinese; for example by having all public services use MG-Rover vehicles where possible and help in other ways to get MG-Rover back onto its feet. Labour can help MG-Rover without nationalising it or selling it off to the Chinese … it’s a longer term solution, yes, but it’s a hell-of-a-lot better.
I dismiss what they’re doing now as electioneering because of what they are doing … they’re not looking far enough into the future. They just want a quick fix solution due to an upcoming election.

Lets not get into the whole "Labour is better than Tory" debate,
How about “Tories are better than Labour” debate? ;)

Lets not get into the whole "Labour is better than Tory" debate, at the end of the day I think we are all sensible enough to admit that whoever is in power they will always make mistakes and always tell pork pies on one level or another. Politicians are politicians.
Hey! I resent that! ;)
hehe – tis true though, tis true…

·
Registered
637 Posts
¼Pint said:
How about “Tories are better than Labour” debate? ;)
LOL 1/4 pint, I knew after I posted someone would say that. I should have written 'or vice versa' after it.

me on the left hand side-- :toastie:

·
Registered
146 Posts
this government has precided over the biggest ever loss of manufacturing jobs in this country.they make me sick with all their posturing and lies,the sooner we get shot of them the better.this is just typical of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts