MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking a gud polish for my new Rover 25, anybody got any preferences or can tell me of a good brand?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
214i 8v said:
Looking a gud polish for my new Rover 25, anybody got any preferences or can tell me of a good brand?

Cheers
Brillo pads and T-Cut.

I used turtle wax and that wasnt bad, but i think the best brand is that Meguirs (or however you spell it).
Or autoglym.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not sure about polish to be honest but the meguiars stuff is amazing. I've used the NXT generation tech wax and its fantastic. I've also used auto glym super resin polish which is a great multi purpose polish/wax. I'd say if you stuck with auto glym or meguiars you couldnt go wrong.
Adam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, i never once polished or waxed the r214i and it sort of fell to pieces in the end, I intend to take much better care of this one! lol
:petevick:

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Well, not sure about the Polish for car, but IIRC the Polish word for "train" is pronounced "p-chonk!"

Unless of course you know different.

(OK that's not the "Polish" this thread means! ;) )

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
sorry no straight answer is possible for this but by hand the megs deep crystal system is hard to beat.

DC1 is a chemical cleaner to remove oxidation
DC2 is a pure polish with fillers to mask swirls
DC3 is a decent carnauba wax

alternatively autoglym super resin polish and extra gloss protection are also good products

as any "expert" will tell you, its the preperation that gives the shine not the wax, cheap wax may dull a good finish but expensive wax wont improve a bad one. With this in mind, best thing you can do really by hand is to wash the car safely, by using a washmitt rather than sponge, and use clay to remove any bonded surface contaminents like tar and tree sap before polishing and waxing

check out http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides.html for good solid guides

for further advice and quaestions try www.detailingworld.co.uk

hope this helps

andy

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
patpending said:
Well, not sure about the Polish for car, but IIRC the Polish word for "train" is pronounced "p-chonk!"

Unless of course you know different.

(OK that's not the "Polish" this thread means! ;) )
D-awwwwww I saw the thread title and was about to post a 'witty' reply along the lines of ''the polish word for car is...'' :(

·
Registered
mg_zt
121 Posts
214i 8v said:

Cheers
Meguiars is really incredible stuff.
This weekend we had the Octagon Tour from the MG Carclub in Holland.
2 days and 400 miles on B roads.
Because off the bad weather it was a muddy adventure.
But it was incredible to see, that the rain washed away the mud and dirt of my MGB while others stayed dirty.
Because off the Meguiars Tech wax the debriss just flushed away.
Amazing!

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
We use Autoglym on my 75 - the normal polish followed by the liquid glass. Makes it look like a mirror! Expensive but it works.

SWMBO also uses the Turtle Wax 'Wax it Wet' stuff when the cars just get a wash - brilliant stuff even at £5 a bottle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Meguiars get's my vote- the polish followed by the wax gives good results. It takes longer to do the two stages, but the end result is worth the effort.

I would steer clear of MER, I find it too abrasive.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Obertelli said:
I am reliably informed that the Polish for "Car" is "Samochód"......:bgrin:

I'll just get my coat....:getcoat:
trust you, Obertelli! ;) I had been guessing at a variant of "avtomobil"! :getcoat:

Mind you, I haven't seen this car polish "Meguiars" anywhere. Where can you get it?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You could check out their website, they may have a store locator on there somewhere. They do have quality stuff, I've tried their paint cleaner/polish before, works great between wax jobs.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Bob S said:
You could check out their website, they may have a store locator on there somewhere. They do have quality stuff, I've tried their paint cleaner/polish before, works great between wax jobs.
Ah, they're in Daventry!

14 Cottesbrooke Park
Heartlands, Daventry
Northamptonshire
England
NN11 5YL

And "Stephen King" is their contact. Looks like streetrover is about to enter the twiglet zone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts