MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
£350 (499euros actually) for the BASE system, the top uncrippled unit will be 599 euros. Unlike the XBOX360 the lower unit wont be upgradable to the top unit, so basically fork out over £400 or get a less capable system..forever. The 499euro PS3 is essentially "crippled" lacking the HDMI output necessary to playback Blu-Ray movies at full 1080i/p resolution, the Memory Stick slot, and the Bluetooth wireless adapter.

First reports from users at E3 are that its well, nothing special. Graphics are like the Xbox360s graphics, nothing more.

By the way, the price the Sun quoted is only a conversion, not an official price for the UK. Chances are it will be more than £350, which doesnt account for high UK VAT and the legendary 'UK tax' everything seems to have here. Expect it to be over £400.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well, I can wait. Will most probably get it 6-12 months after release. The MegaDrive will do for now. Comix Zone is legendary

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Well the computer sites i frequent are annoyed it will be $499 or $599 (US). If they try to sell it for that in the US you can bet they will push it over £400 here.

I did post a thread before that said it would be expensive, so im not exactly shocked. Sony isnt as big a people think, this really is make of break for them, they have to minimise losses on the hardware and at the same time not price it off the market completely. They need it to boost blue-ray. If both fail they are over. I personally think the prices they want are the limit of sanity, especially given the cold reception its getting at E3 from the non fanboys.

Reports are coming in that it offers nothing the 360 doesnt and that the graphics are no better.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Having watched the full Sony conference, I have come away somewhat... underwhelmed by the PS3.

I cannot believe they are going against what they said by releasing a crippled cheaper version, which loses out on some of the big selling features. This is a mistake in my opinion. The cut-down package will rapidly be known as the 'tard-pack, bought only by 'tards.

I am disappointed that they have moved the controller design back to the DS design. I quite liked the "batarang", it seemed more in keeping with the PS3 chassis design, also considering it's new party trick.

I was disappointed at some of the demos showed on screen. Gran Turismo HD for example, yes I appreciate it was not a game to be released, and purely a tech demo showing the transition of GT4 to PS3 hardware and the increased resolution, but resolution aside, the game looked no different to my eyes, and they would have been better placed doing a tech-showcase of what the PS3 can actually do with some new material.

Tekken6 looked decidedly average.

The general flavour of games was First Person Shooters, Racing Games, or Beat-em-ups. There was no innovation, no new killer title.

However, in Sony's defence I would say the following:

Some of the demos did look excellent, and the technology in the right hands you could see the clear improvement over the likes of the 360.

Sony's on-line service looks to be very comprehensive, and you can't ignore the fact that it's basic functionality is FREE.

Sony are still pushing the boundaries harder and further than the other two big players. The technology and the ideals are more advanced, and looks further into the future. If they were only after a quick buck, they wouldn't have included the unproven technology, and instead gone for off-the-shelf equipment, more akin to the 360.

As with the PS2, PS3 looks to be a device of greater potential, and one who's achivements will develop over the full course of it's lifespan.

The accusation that the PS3 controller is a rip-off of Nintendo is naive. They are two different ideas executed in different ways, but both are a natural progression of player-involvement. People seem to have forgotten that Sony has kept quiet on virtually all details regarding the controller from the outset, and the Wii controller was only revealed recently, so I find it quite unfaesable to think that Sony could have suddenly rushed to "copy" the idea of another manufacturer. And of course, there is a patent out there dating back several years registered to Sony of a "gaming wand" that relays movement information. So who's "copying who"? Either way, N and S both make advancements in interactivity, and the gamer benefits.

As for betting everything on Blu-Ray or they fail, I doubt that a lot. BluRay has cost Sony and many, many other companies a lot of money to develop, including the likes of Philips and TDK - don't forget that. The various forms of CD +/- and DVD +/-/RAM from the differing camps ended up living side by side, so if a clear winner doesn't come to fruition, I'm sure all is not lost.

But credit where credit's due, the Wii (name aside), is looking increasingly favourable as the number one in my book, provided they can shake off the childish image that their games increasingly take. I will hold off on acquiring a console until well into next year I think, to allow the two new-comers to get established. I still have no plans to get a 360, as it still doesn't look any more than a triple core PC in an ugly box running on a form of Windows, which generates a lot of heat, and costs a yearly subsciption ontop of my broadband connection. Whatever way I look at it, it doesn't appeal.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Steve said:
But credit where credit's due, the Wii (name aside), is looking increasingly favourable as the number one in my book, provided they can shake off the childish image that their games increasingly take.
I think thats the major selling point of the Wii though, the games are simple, fun and playable, the graphics don't need to be any more impressive than cartoony stuff as you can still get engrossed in them and they make better party play. I think the Wii is running something like a single 700MHz processor, while the 360 is running a triple core 2.4GHz processor and the PS3 will be similar. theres only so much you can do by throwing power and graphics at games if they are still dull and repetitive ;)

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Many are pretty unhappy at the PS3 controller, which has no rumble and isnt all that responsive by all accounts. The Nintendo controller looks odd, but seems to be really popular.
The only problem i see is that the name 'Wii' might put off the chav gamer a bit, leaving that market to the playstation, like it always has been. Nintendo (and PC) has tended towards the true gamer rather than the casual or 'Fifa pro super evo XXVI' style gamer! The Xbox seems to hold the middle ground.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
that ps3 in the sun website link, looks like a big silver tacky box of plastic, dont look no where as good as the early photos did, and i can't believe they've gone with the same controller as before, are they cutting costs again by not bothering with that boomerang style they had in the early prototype photos.:eek:uch:

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
chrismm27 said:
Many are pretty unhappy at the PS3 controller, which has no rumble and isnt all that responsive by all accounts. The Nintendo controller looks odd, but seems to be really popular.
The only problem i see is that the name 'Wii' might put off the chav gamer a bit, leaving that market to the playstation, like it always has been. Nintendo (and PC) has tended towards the true gamer rather than the casual or 'Fifa pro super evo XXVI' style gamer! The Xbox seems to hold the middle ground.

It's funny how many sites seemed to pray in hope that the PS3 controller would look "just like the DualShock2", and now that they've got their way, their voice seems to have been dulled in a crowd of disappointment. Well, saying that, I'm sure only the disappointed ones (or fanboys of another flavour perhaps) are being overly vocal. Having not used it for myself, I'm not in any position to judge.

Sony claim that they removed the rumble from the pad because it interferred with the gyroscopes, which is perfectly plausible, but it does make you wonder whether the Immersion law suit had a part to play. Still, it doesn't stop the likes of Logitech from manufacturing an after-market rumble controller if it's possible.

As for the Playstation being the "chav-gamer" market, from my experience, the Halo-generation clearly take that crown, and Playstation could never hope to come close.

Still, there's time for further change and advancement. Come XMas we'll all be more the-wiser, having been able to sample all three for ourselves and make our own minds up, instead of relying on bias media opinion and rumourmongering. Something this site should be well-accustomed to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts