MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plan to save a small chunk of MGR to ensure that some part of the business continues. My plan is to lease the Austin name from the Administrators and Healey from the Healey family. I then want to start up a small sports car maker about the size of TVR. Whilst I appreciate that we are all trying to save the bigger part of the company I really want to ensure that we salvage as much as possible. Whilst I'd love to buy MG I simply don't think that we stand a particually strong chance of getting it whilst there are so many big fish in the water. This means we could end up seeing our beloved MG go abroad.

To this end I need to look at ways to raise capital and produce a viable business plan for Austin Healey. I believe Austin is a part of the business that the administrators are least likely to have offers for, therefore it may go cheap. Put together with Healey, the brand become very marketable as a sportscar maker. I would like to think money could be raised from car fans (advanced orders?), private investors and perhaps with a loan from the DTI. Time is of the essence and we need to move fast. I need to recruit as many people to the cause as possible. If your up for it please post your name here. I'll then come back to this post in a few days and see how much interest there is. If there is not much interest then I simply won't bother. But if there are lot of names then perhaps Steve could set up a forum for us to start working on a business plan.

I believe we have only a few weeks to come up with something. Time is of the essence. Please sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can REALISTICALLY save this part of the company.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I'm interested! Might not have a stack of cash to throw into the pot, but if there's anything I can do let me know!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greg with the volume of production I'm talking about I don't needs ridiculous amounts of money. My plan is about keeping things "real". We need to work on the basis that we are taking on the likes of TVR not Ford! I need all forms of donation too. If there are any budding car designers just out of uni for example then just some design work would be great. Some people have good business contacts. Some know the history of AH inside out. I just need to see what the online commutity can come up with and can give this project. Then WE need to pull something together!

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
My plan is to lease the Austin name from the Administrators and Healey from the Healey family.

No need, The trademark belongs outright to MG Rover :) But I can't see much mileage in it. Most people would wonder how you can take orders for an international rugby player :err:

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always possible i guess....Ariel are in a garage and invicta are in a small building too. Funding i guess would be the only problem :2c:

·
Registered
12 Posts
MGRover nut.. I support your desire in what you are proposing but please be aware that to set up a business in the UK to produce low volume hand built sportscars such as TVR, Morgan, Noble et al is not a little investment. Read the press on the Russian that has bought TVR, reputed to have spent over £10m in the last year to what seems like no avail.

The Government should provide assistance to our heritage instead of wasting it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
I have a plan to save a small chunk of MGR to ensure that some part of the business continues. My plan is to lease the Austin name from the Administrators and Healey from the Healey family. I then want to start up a small sports car maker about the size of TVR.

Well sales are my strong point,and any business needs great promoting. One of the things wrong with MGR was their advertising, it was awful take the new TF poster campaign- an old lady on her way to a retirement home!!! I could have done a hundred times better for a hundred times less!!! So if you need a focused sales person to promote the business I sell more MG rovers than probably anyone else in the country. Give me a call I would be keen to help.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JohnSwitzer said:
My plan is to lease the Austin name from the Administrators and Healey from the Healey family.

No need, The trademark belongs outright to MG Rover :) But I can't see much mileage in it. Most people would wonder how you can take orders for an international rugby player :err:

John
John, I need to know why you don't see milage in it. I need positive criticism (i.e I need people to raise valid negative points so that I can test test the plan). If your arguement is that people have forgotten about the brand then I'd remind you that there are already TWO potential customers. The parents of the rugby player Austin Healey. Initially I think the target market will be the wealthy middle aged. These people remember Austin Healey and have the cash to buy the luxury product I am proposing. This will be the base to build from.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
not much money but as with everyone else, i would be prepared to help in any way possible. i will ho out with a beating squad and beat people until they buy one??

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had a couple industrial product design art classes. Taught by a teacher that worked for a prestigious design firm out in Los Angeles.

I used to be a business Major (emphasis in Economics) before I switched to a Teaching/History major (My love of the English auto industry and the 60's made me do it. Spread the sickness! mwa ha ha)

I have a couple thousand American Dollars I would contribute because the Austin Healey was an amazing car.

I really don't think we need to spend money on Design, the Originals looked great. In fact my passion for vintage English cars like the Austin Healey inspired me to conduct a survey at the Barret Jackson while I lived in Arizona...

My results showed that people would buy a car that looked like the classic but worked a lot better than the original. Seeing that petrol prices are only going to go up a hybrid/diesel/electric car with modern safety and reliability would knock everyone on their ass.

I have a friend that is going to be a rocket scientist! And I am not kidding! He loves English cars! I know I could make him sign up.

I think if someone who hates corporate greed and has a huge passion for English cars could help considerably in building a company

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JTspeed said:
MGRover nut.. I support your desire in what you are proposing but please be aware that to set up a business in the UK to produce low volume hand built sportscars such as TVR, Morgan, Noble et al is not a little investment. Read the press on the Russian that has bought TVR, reputed to have spent over £10m in the last year to what seems like no avail.

The Government should provide assistance to our heritage instead of wasting it.
JTspeed I will need to start costing this plan at some point, but my view is that if TVR could eek out a living, then why shoudn't Austin Healey? After all who were TVR?

If we find support is building then we will need to do the following very quickly:

1.) Establish a business plan (need help with this as a priority) + timetable
2.) Start fundraising activities to support business plan
3.) Inform DTI/ TGWU and administrators of plan (don't want to tread on the toes of any other efforts)
4.) Establish steering commitee

Thanks for all your support guys. There are already some very usefull skills here that this project needs to get off the ground.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tell me if i am wrong, but if this does get the "go ahead" then wouldn't the first thing to be done is get the "austin" name? i am sure there will be alot of interest in the brands which the group own and someone may want to buy the whole lot (exception of Rover and possibly MG). I dont think we can really think months or weeks here, i think it can be only days or a week at most. Like the administrators, time isn't on peoples side at the mo. :(

Like i said, i could be wrong, i dont know, i dont do business studies...or a course on how to run a car company :)

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
njaxes said:
Tell me if i am wrong, but if this does get the "go ahead" then wouldn't the first thing to be done is get the "austin" name? i am sure there will be alot of interest in the brands which the group own and someone may want to buy the whole lot (exception of Rover and possibly MG). I dont think we can really think months or weeks here, i think it can be only days or a week at most. Like the administrators, time isn't on peoples side at the mo. :(

Like i said, i could be wrong, i dont know, i dont do business studies...or a course on how to run a car company :)
njaxes I don't think the administrators will do anything before they talk to SAIC next week. I really need some expertise to help put this together. I will NOT do this by myself, this will only work if we pull together! Don't assume I'm the leader because I've floated this plan on here. I think it's a great plan, but I need this sites members and others with experience to help me put this together. I'm waiting to see what skills people have before attempting to help assemble a steering commitee (I really hate that phrase). I have one other problem I can not get involved with the administrator as I may end up with a conflict of interests (potential Sarbox issue). I'm really looking for someone with some time and experience to lead the project. I will lend lots of support and play an active role, but we need to put together the "board" ASAP!!!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AndrewPorter said:
Management Consultant here - willing to help where I can
Andrew, exactly the kind of skills we need. Any ideas on the kind of people we need to develop a business plan that the DTI and administrators would listen to?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi again folks

I can't offer cash either but, if you're looking for publicity/marketing support with particular attention to web-based promotion (web-site development, hosting and online promotion/community management), bear me in mind.

Good luck with your proposal and if there's anything I can do to help ... ask!

Luv
Cat
xxx

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
231 Posts
If you can pull this off, I'll support you financially (I'm just a public servant though so not a lot!) and I'd like to become the "official" importer for Japan (do have some connections with some dealers here)!

·
Registered
mg_zs
544 Posts
Sorry to be pessimistic in the face of all this much needed optimism. As attractive as your aims are I think they are 99.9% impossible to achieve. Have a look at other small car companies that have disappeared in the past, was it Jensen that tried to do something very similar yet failed? Marcos have had a torrid time too. No doubt these were conceived and run by people with experience in the motor industry and with enough experience to know what would sell. If these kinds of people fail, what chance do we have?

Sherwood.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts