MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just taken my 02 ZT V6 190+ to my local dealer (ex rover) to get them diagnose a 'knocking' noise when starting from cold. I was previously told on an earlier visit a few months ago that it could be tappets. Now they are saying it sounds 'bottom end' and could be piston slap (requiring a rebuild!). They are still investigating but the mechanic said some K engines suffered piston problems as low as 2k due to manufacturing defects.

Now i'm not a mechanic, but is this must be unusal on a 40k fully serviced K series V6? I got the car at about 28k and I don't drive like a hooligan and alway's check the oil etc. There was no signs of the noise when I bought it though!

It's not burning any oil and the noise does 'fade' away after around 3-4 mins (5 tops if its really cold)

I have a warranty which should cover the work, but I basically just am interested if anyone else has had anything similar happen to their ZT/R75?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi

I've just taken my 02 ZT V6 190+ to my local dealer (ex rover) to get them diagnose a 'knocking' noise when starting from cold. I was previously told on an earlier visit a few months ago that it could be tappets. Now they are saying it sounds 'bottom end' and could be piston slap (requiring a rebuild!). They are still investigating but the mechanic said some K engines suffered piston problems as low as 2k due to manufacturing defects.

Now i'm not a mechanic, but is this must be unusal on a 40k fully serviced K series V6? I got the car at about 28k and I don't drive like a hooligan and alway's check the oil etc. There was no signs of the noise when I bought it though!

It's not burning any oil and the noise does 'fade' away after around 3-4 mins (5 tops if its really cold)

I have a warranty which should cover the work, but I basically just am interested if anyone else has had anything similar happen to their ZT/R75?

Thanks

I am not sure it applies to a KV6 engine but I heard alot of people saying that this cold start business was due to a plastic inlet manifold leaking coolant into the engine, causing it to misfire then once the engine had warmed up,
it sealed it self up and the noise diminished. Like I said I don't know about the KV6 unit but is a problem for post 2003/04 K series engines. Could be worth looking into, may save your self a few quid and a HGF failure.

·
Registered
mg_zt
22 Posts
My 54 reg ZT160+ 1.8 turbo suffered from a knocking noise when cold from when I bought it with under 2000 miles on the clock.

I asked my brother-in-law to have a listen to it. He said, 'Sounds okay. It is a diesel isn't it?' - Obviously I had a problem.

Every time I took the car in to SMC in High Wycombe to have work done or servicing I asked them to listen to the engine to see if there was a problem and they said everything was normal - 'Some engines are noisier than others.'

Eventually when I took the car in (with 2 days of my 1 year warranty remaining!) to have the four wheel alignment done I pleaded with them to keep the car overnight and listen to it starting when it was properly cold - At this stage the car had done 15000 miles and had had an oil change at 2000 miles and a full 30000 mile service at 14000.

They agreed to this and lo and behold the next morning I received a call from them saying that man from the warranty company said that there was a significant piston noise (their words) and that the only economical course of action was to replace the engine!!!
How glad was I that I decided to get it checked before the warranty expired!

I now have a car that sounds like it should have done when I bought it rather than like a 1974 Mk3 Cortina!

If your warranty has sufficient cover it's worth while getting the engine noise checked out and be stubborn if the garage try to fob you off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike-MGR
i'm 80% sure it's not misfiring and it does perform as well as it's alway's done. I don't see any oily smoke or anything when cold or warm. Sounds like mine is going the same way as Mickster's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Well we shall see. It does sound similar to your problems Mickster. I am insisting them to diagnose it properly, although I think the garage does realise that there is indeed a problem now. I hope my warranty cover's it! It was the garage that organised the warranty so it better had!!

Anybody else had problems of this magnitude with their ZT/R75?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If its got a warranty sort it butmy old honda lump (I'm a 400 guy not a 75 lol) only 40k and it has slap when cold-never been thrashed etc either

From reading american websites apparently slap is common on cold engines now as they are built to close tolerances so when they are warm everything sits right and snug. Personally I'm gonna wait it out with mine, uses no oil/coolant, general advise I have found is let it idle for a minute when cold and be very gentle thereafter until its hot--some suggest super unleaded as the slower burn is supposidly less violent for a poorly engine??????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts