MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 25 TD yesterday. Its was a clear and sunny day, but not quite as hot as today, so I was able to test out the AC :)..:D lovely job. I know they had to re-gas it because when I test drove the car it barely worked at all. Anyway this place calls them selves honest & always release their cars with full service and thorough checkover etc yadda yadda. And they have stamped the service book up and ticked braked fluid changed and coolant changed. Anyway, the brake fluid deffo hasn't been changed cos its nearly black in the reservoir and the coolant looks exactly the same as before the service too and I'm not even sure if they changed the oil either as on the dipstick that looked the same as before service too and the oil filter looks new-ish, but not brand new. Oh and I also said to them the alternator belt looks old and probably the original they didn't change that either. It also has a brand new MOT, but I dunno how it passed that cos the washer jets are blocked. Oh and by the time I got the car home I'd already lost a wheel trim, and no I didn't hit and kerbs or anything. This is a good start. Didn't notice it yesterday, but I've got a squeak at tickover with the AC on now too. :cus: Is there any honest reliable trade garages out there anymore more ? I was pretty sure I'd picked a better one, but obviously not. Also - they only had one key and fob, no code for the radio.
This just reminds me you can't trust these garages to do what they are supposed to do.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
There really are some muppets of mechanics about, and this puts a bad name on all the many genuine guys who do an honest job.

Sounds like you have a bit of luxury there with the A/C just perfect for the summer, with the mpg too ;)
Regards to the sqeek, sounds like it may just need a service, as they have to be re gassed and oiled properly in the right places etc... not too up on this matter myself, but most reputable places should be able to sort you out.

But i'd mention about the oil and stuff you thought would be done, if not get a second opinion from another place and then tell originall garage to pull their finger out and sort it.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RevorTD said:
Picked up my 25 TD yesterday. Its was a clear and sunny day, but not quite as hot as today, so I was able to test out the AC :)..:D lovely job. I know they had to re-gas it because when I test drove the car it barely worked at all. Anyway this place calls them selves honest & always release their cars with full service and thorough checkover etc yadda yadda. And they have stamped the service book up and ticked braked fluid changed and coolant changed. Anyway, the brake fluid deffo hasn't been changed cos its nearly black in the reservoir and the coolant looks exactly the same as before the service too and I'm not even sure if they changed the oil either as on the dipstick that looked the same as before service too and the oil filter looks new-ish, but not brand new. Oh and I also said to them the alternator belt looks old and probably the original they didn't change that either. It also has a brand new MOT, but I dunno how it passed that cos the washer jets are blocked. Oh and by the time I got the car home I'd already lost a wheel trim, and no I didn't hit and kerbs or anything. This is a good start. Didn't notice it yesterday, but I've got a squeak at tickover with the AC on now too. :cus: Is there any honest reliable trade garages out there anymore more ? I was pretty sure I'd picked a better one, but obviously not. Also - they only had one key and fob, no code for the radio.
This just reminds me you can't trust these garages to do what they are supposed to do.
Ah I may have confused you Stu, I should have pointed out that I had just bought it from this company.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think its that uncommon. I got my 25TD from a large car supermarket. They 'service' the cars just prior to pickup and when I checked it, they hadn't even changed the diesel filter. When I pointed out that at least should have been changed (it was due a major service) the guy said "oh, we only do a quick service". I wasn't too bothered at the time as they had fitted a new tyre (the old one was still legal). When I got it home I gave it a very good check and found that one headlamp beam was pointing 3 foot in front of the car as the beam adjuster rod was unclipped. Thus, the service stamp was worthless and the MOT dubious. It didn't bother me as I do all my own work and the car was otherwise great but these places must get away with it all the time. Wonder how many people are driving around assuming their cars have had a full service. I never even got a reply from my complaint so I really should have shopped them.

Keith

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you're right GammaKeith, there must be many running around with dodgy or non existant services that have supposed to have been done, makes you cringe I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts