MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Trying to weigh up my options.

I have an Samsung Galaxy S3, which is out of contract in the next 2 weeks. I have the option of upgrading, but the only phone I have any inclining towards would be an SGS5, but I don't see the point. My current phone is fine and I resent paying so much for a phone contract!

My current phone is costing me £31/month on Vodafone.

I'm contemplating keeping my phone and going 1 Month rolling contract.

I've heard about GiffGaff and it seems good, but I'm dubious that its PAYG and I'll get caught out. (I know it is PAYG, but I would be looking at one of those goodybag things!).

Does anyone have any insight, thoughts?

Ideally if I get a new phone contract, I don't want to be on any more than £25 and I don't want to pay for the handset.

I like my current phone and it works, so don't have any qualms about keeping it and going monthly. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
giffgaff user here. not a bad network really with not alot of downtime. their goodybags start from £5mth up to £20mth for 2000 uk minutes, unlimited uk texts, unlimited internet and you can queue up your goodybags for when the old one runs out.
if your interested order your sim through http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/mo55ie
after you have activated the sim and topped up with £10 you will get £5 extra for free (if the offer still on)
cheers

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'm on giffgaff. Coverage is great! I pay £7.50 a month, which gives me enough talk time, unlimited text and enough internet to check emails, facebook etc!

You can also add credit, which lets you call pay numbers, like 0870 etc and send MMS (which aren't included in the goodybag). So, if you are concerned about using up your goody bag, just stick £10 credit on :)

·
Super Moderator
10,995 Posts
Check out Tesco mobile. 4G heaps of texts, lots of minutes, plus data. Around £7.50 to £10 if on a sim only contract. Takes some beating IMO. Oh and tethering too.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Giffgaff piggyback onto the )2 network. Had my daughters phone on there for a few years now and its been fine.

The unlimited goodybag can't be tethered (officially) but the 1Gb £10 one does allow it.

Tesco Mobile also use O2 network I believe. So should be a similar experience. Look at which one is the best match / value for you.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at Tesco & GiffGaff as the 2 options. Will need to have a think, also need to cancel my existing contract with Vodafone and get the PAC code I believe.

When you say you can't tether, how? I don't see how they can stop you tethering as its done on your phone not the network side of things? I'm assuming tethering wise you mean to tether your laptop via your phone?

Does this also affect using your phone as a mobile wifi hotspot?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at Tesco & GiffGaff as the 2 options. Will need to have a think, also need to cancel my existing contract with Vodafone and get the PAC code I believe.

When you say you can't tether, how? I don't see how they can stop you tethering as its done on your phone not the network side of things? I'm assuming tethering wise you mean to tether your laptop via your phone?

It's not that you can't tether, its that it breaks the terms and conditions of the "unlimited data" goodybags. Its really simple for them to identify traffic that hasn't come from a phone is passing through your connection and they will just suspend your account.

on plans where there is a set limit (gigabags, cheaper goodybags) then you can tether all you want, up to your limit.

They do it like this so they can offer people unlimited data for their phones without some numpty connecting a £10 a month contract to their laptop and torrenting/hd streaming etc 24/7 and ruining it for everyone else.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that you can't tether, its that it breaks the terms and conditions of the "unlimited data" goodybags. Its really simple for them to identify traffic that hasn't come from a phone is passing through your connection and they will just suspend your account.

on plans where there is a set limit (gigabags, cheaper goodybags) then you can tether all you want, up to your limit.

They do it like this so they can offer people unlimited data for their phones without some numpty connecting a £10 a month contract to their laptop and torrenting/hd streaming etc 24/7 and ruining it for everyone else.
Ah that makes more sense. I realised they could analyse the traffic, but HTTP traffic should appear as HTTP traffic.

It wouldn't bother me as I will probably go for a £10 goodybag rather than the unlimited. I don't use a great deal of data. That's what my home and work wifi is for :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,995 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at Tesco & GiffGaff as the 2 options.

Strange thing was with tesco, my sim in an android allowed a wifi hot spot. In the iPhone the option wasn't there. Suddenly got a text saying hot spot would be available on iPhone. Never looked back.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,462 Posts
tesco where i am has no signal at all aand makes it impossible to ring someone

i use a lot of mins and texts and spend a fortune on phones but what ive gone for now was sim only unlimited calls texts and 1 gb of internet 20 quid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts