MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peugeot talking to Proton about alliance

FRANCE'S PSA Peugeot Group has confirmed that is exploring an alliance with Malaysia's Proton, a majority stakeholder in Lotus.

Peugeot said that at this stage there are no detailed plans for cooperation projects. Proton managing director, Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohd Tahir, told a news conference, however, that talks with Europe's second-largest carmaker had reached "quite advanced details."
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Ian Senior said:
Fantastic - an alliance between two makers known for their quality. Can't wait to see their first car.
You'll have to keep your eyes peeled for the hard shoulder I suspect.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
Whatever happened to Protons alliance with VW ?
And Peugeot Europes 2nd biggest car company ? Think VW and Renault will have something to say about that .

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Darwin said:
And Peugeot Europes 2nd biggest car company ? Think VW and Renault will have something to say about that .
Aving been so badly burnt my Mitsubhishi running away I suspect they are doing JVs with different companies. Makes good business sense and builds up their own expertise.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
Darwin said:
well France IS all of Europe that matters don't you know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Darwin said:
Actually it's PSA Peugeot-Citroen which is Europe 2nd biggest car company not just Peugeot, VAG (VW) group being the first one. As for Renault, it's the leading brand in Western Europe.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
CitroenC4 said:
Peugeot is a great brand, the new 207 is very well built for example
Must be a first then.

But seroiusly having owned a 206 as well as a 400, 200 and 25 in recent years, while the 206 was reliable I didnt think it was particularly well built compared to the Rovers I had, and developed some very nasty rust spots at around 2 years old.

Proton and Pug definatly a meeting of similar quality levels.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I know it is unfair to judge Peugeot on their older models (eventhough people do it to Rover's all the time), but build quality on our old 206 was appauling. The first was an S-reg, the other was a 52-reg. In both cases the quality of trim was dire and overall the car just felt flimsy and tacky, the equivilent Rover 25 feels like a much more upmarket car compared with the 206.

The car wasn't badly screwed together as such, it's just the quality of the materials used were terribly cheap, the Citroen Berlingo we use at work is of a similar quality.

In comparison, as ludicrous as you may think it, my 114 puts it to shame on this front, even if the styling was a bit behind.

The mind boggles to think why they sold so many.

I can't comment on the new 207, but I have heard some horror stories from owners of the 307...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Liam Olf said:
I know it is unfair to judge Peugeot on their older models (eventhough people do it to Rover's all the time), but build quality on our old 206 was appauling. The first was an S-reg, the other was a 52-reg. In both cases the quality of trim was dire and overall the car just felt flimsy and tacky, the equivilent Rover 25 feels like a much more upmarket car compared with the 206.

The car wasn't badly screwed together as such, it's just the quality of the materials used were terribly cheap, the Citroen Berlingo we use at work is of a similar quality.

In comparison, as ludicrous as you may think it, my 114 puts it to shame on this front, even if the styling was a bit behind.

The mind boggles to think why they sold so many.

I can't comment on the new 207, but I have heard some horror stories from owners of the 307...
The 206 was/is a great looking car. Cute perhaps, but definately nice. That made it trendy, and it was small, so I'm not surprised.
I hate the kind of plastics you get in cheap cars, all horribly hard.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Samuel said:
The 206 was/is a great looking car. Cute perhaps, but definately nice. That made it trendy, and it was small, so I'm not surprised.
I hate the kind of plastics you get in cheap cars, all horribly hard.
Well take the Alfa 147 as an example, the trim is hard, not squidgy rubber, but it still feels well built.

The 206 just felt crap with its wheelie-bin plastic dashboard.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

It amazes me how the French can sell cars their cars so cheaply. Thats the main reason they have such a high market share, I guees their cars are loveable too, especially compared to the German "boxes".

However I would admit their cars do skimp on quality. My freinds 206 recentally decided it couldn't be bothered to start and its under a year old.

I personally would never buy a new French car because I choose (where possible) to buy British, but a second hand one I guees would be forgivable. I think i'll stick with Rover for the meantime then i'll go Landy, thats only if they make something that actually does more than 35mpg!:p
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts