MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peugeot 207 was Europe's best-seller in April

ALTHOUGH Volkswagen remains at the top of the table as Europe's best selling car brand during 2007, the Peugeot 207 took the lead as Europe's best-selling car in April.

Sales of the Peugeot 207 increased dramatically during April, recording a 373.2% increase on the same month last year, from 7,874 units to 37,260 in 2007. The increase is partly due to the limited availability of the model during 2006, its introductory year.

The Renault Clio also marked a significant hike from eighth position to second, Volkswagen Golf from seventh to third, Fiat Punto from sixth to fourth, Ford Focus from first to fifth, Volkswagen Passat from tenth up to ninth.

The arrival of the Renault Scenic / Grand Scenic at tenth position pushes BMW's 3 Series out of the top 10.

The Opel/Vauxhall Astra, moves down four places to sixth position and the Corsa down from fourth to seventh. Ford's Fiesta also lost ground, dropping from third down to eighth in the table.

Other new models performing well in the European market during April include the Toyota Auris, Citroen C4 Picasso, Fiat Bravo, Ford S-Max, Nissan Qashqai, Kia Cee'd, Skoda Roomster, Volkswagen Eos, Volvo C30, Chevrolet Captiva, Suzuki SX4, Fiat Sedici, Opel Antara, Dodge Caliber and Audi Q7.

Brands

Volkswagen remains at the top of the table as Europe's best-selling car brand during 2007, although new car sales of 133,857 units in April represent a 3,301 unit decrease on the same month last year for the brand. Renault also remains in second position, followed by Opel/Vauxhall and Ford, which recorded a 0.6% rise during April and increase of 1.8% year-to-date.

Amongst the brands, Peugeot is in fifth place in Europe up to the end of April.

Other brands that recorded a rise in sales last month were Fiat, Toyota, Audi, Skoda, Honda, Suzuki, Volvo and Kia, largely due to new model variants entering the market.

GB was Europe's fourth largest market in April

Despite the slump in its new car market, Germany recorded the highest sales in April with 264,871 units sold. This is a significant change in fortunes for a market which has suffered in recent months. Italy took second place with 206,743 units, France in third place with 172,754, Great Britain in fourth place with 170,163 and Spain in fifth position with 121,359 new car units sold.
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I bet their sales went through the roof here after Ryton shut ,the Brit public can now buy a Peugeot safe in the knowledge it's defo not made here anymore.

I'm not really a fan of Peugeot you know :lol: in case no-ones noticed!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I bet they sold 30000 at a loss to car hire firms. Nice when you goverment supports you against all the rules. Nobody with more than 2 brain cells buys trash like 207s.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
I bet their sales went through the roof here after Ryton shut ,the Brit public can now buy a Peugeot safe in the knowledge it's defo not made here anymore.

I'm not really a fan of Peugeot you know :lol: in case no-ones noticed!
The 207 has been around 6th or 7th in our monthly sales charts. For the year to date it is in 6th with 22,699 sales up to 30th April. This figure only just beats the clio but is some 10-15,000 behind the corsa and fiesta.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Right - I drive a lot of Pug 207s and I shall give you the low down

- Its nicer than the NEW Clio
- A lot of attention to detail (arm rests on each front seat, chrome door handles, nice quality interior fabrics, light and airy)
- Feels well built (...but see the negatives)
- Nice to drive. Its preferred over the Grande Punto and the new Clio
-Lovely dash thats well layed out and is interesting to look at.

However

Reliability problems galore. Constantly having sugar loads of electrical problems as well as mechanical problems. It would DEFINATLY put me off buying one.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Right - I drive a lot of Pug 207s and I shall give you the low down

- Its nicer than the NEW Clio
- A lot of attention to detail (arm rests on each front seat, chrome door handles, nice quality interior fabrics, light and airy)
- Feels well built (...but see the negatives)
- Nice to drive. Its preferred over the Grande Punto and the new Clio
-Lovely dash thats well layed out and is interesting to look at.

However

Reliability problems galore. Constantly having sugar loads of electrical problems as well as mechanical problems. It would DEFINATLY put me off buying one.

This is the thing that casts a cloud over peugeot's "progress." Its why I am annoyed with Renault. When asked about the low performance in surveys, a Renault UK spokesperson said about the Laguna something on the lines of "we have made significant strides in interior quality"

Cabin quality only makes up a fraction of overall customer satisfaction. The emphasis should be on reliability. Toyota dont make the best interiors. , but they are reliablility junkies!

Although dubious in the exterior styling stakes, the 207 interior is one of the best in class for design and even quality. The only thing that lets it down is the use of 206 switchgear on some models.

The clio is praised a for a high quality interior but in the pictures it looks like a piece of moulded tupperware, especially in beige trim. Plus you have to buy the dynamique upwards for higher quality plastics.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Nobody with more than 2 brain cells buys trash like 207s.
Unfortunately Peugeot can do no wrong according to the Brit public. There are tons of them on the road ,despite the fact this company ,who have no morals or social responsibility to their workforce ,sell poorly made hideous looking rubbish.

It amazes me that people buy crap like the 307cc ,one of the ugliest cars to ever be thrown together. It's a total joke of a car ,with NO good qualities whatsoever. For some inexplicable reason folk seem to think ,because they're foreign ,that they're 'stylish' and 'sophisticated' ,well they're not ,a 1978 Vauxhall Cavalier is more stylish and sophisticated. Probably better built too.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one to feel utter contempt for this trash which clogs up British roads. I would be so happy if one day I woke up and rubbish like Peugeot had simply disappeared. They're frankly odd-ball and bizarre looking 'cars' ,with golf club door mirrors set in the oddest place ever ,will be neither mourned or missed by me when they hopefully stop being chucked together. Woeful looking junk I'm afraid ,no two ways about it.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
One thing the French are very good at doing is building cars with great showroom appeal. They look stylish (on the whole) and present a chic fun image. Inside, they are often equally stylish, practical and comfortable. On the test drive, they will usually demonstrate a fine balance between roadholding and ride quality. They look great under the spotlight and on the surface appear to be very pleasing to the senses. However, I have never come across a modern French car that looks anywhere near as fresh after a couple of years on the road as they do not stand up well to the test in time, the Laguna II especially.

Ultimately for most people choosing a car is a very emotional choice. If reliabiilty and satisfaction surveys meant as much as they should, we'd all be driving Jazz's and Octavias. The fact that the Peugeot 307 and Renault Scenic (to name but two) lie very close to the bottom of these surveys bears no relation to the cars' ongoing popularity and sales success is ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
However, I have never come across a modern French car that looks anywhere near as fresh after a couple of years on the road as they do not stand up well to the test in time, the Laguna II especially.
Too right. I work with someone with one of those bins ,now the electric windows have packed in ,the latest major problem to afflict this 4 year old car. In fact ,his 'car' ,which hasen't even done 100k is quite frankly scrap. It wouldn't even justify buying a box of swan vestas and a gallon of four star to do away with the wretched thing.

As for those 'prodigy style' firestarter 307's ,well words fail me ,why would anyone seriously waste their own money on a shed like that?

IMO ,French cars ,the bigger the car the bigger the problems.

French auto electrics = major grief.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
As for those 'prodigy style' firestarter 307's ,well words fail me ,why would anyone seriously waste their own money on a shed like that? French auto electrics = major grief.
I believe the mk1 Scenics were also quite partial to the occassion bit of self-combusting. Or at least the one down my road was a couple of months ago...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Go to many other motoring forums and exactly the same comments are made about MG-Rover products, usually by people who have never owned or driven one.

If you don't like them, fair enough. But lots of people do, it's their choice.

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
Too right. I work with someone with one of those bins ,now the electric windows have packed in ,the latest major problem to afflict this 4 year old car. In fact ,his 'car' ,which hasen't even done 100k is quite frankly scrap. It wouldn't even justify buying a box of swan vestas and a gallon of four star to do away with the wretched thing.

As for those 'prodigy style' firestarter 307's ,well words fail me ,why would anyone seriously waste their own money on a shed like that?

IMO ,French cars ,the bigger the car the bigger the problems.

French auto electrics = major grief.
You really are very bitter - get over it.....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Go to many other motoring forums and exactly the same comments are made about MG-Rover products, usually by people who have never owned or driven one.

If you don't like them, fair enough. But lots of people do, it's their choice.[/quote

He is voicing his opinion that he doesn't like them, that's his choice. And I agree with him. Scenario:

Man goes into dealership saying my last 307 let me down badly but VW ( for example) only offered me £3000 for it, Peugeot salesman gets his manager to agree to an extra £500 for his 307, so he buys the 307 (which finished in 94th - 100 cars surveyed) he will do the same thing in another 3 years because he has no common sense. In the long term the Golf would have worked out cheaper because it depreciates a lot slower.

So it does not follow that a lot of Peugeots on UK roads means people like them, if they were so well liked how come not one of their models finished higher than 79th position in a survey carried out by the people who drive them?

Maybe a lot of people are seduced by cashback deals they are in Bath with Citroen, which unfortunately does very well, again not one of their models breakouts of the bottom 40 cars, but the last two sucessive Peugeot dealerships have both closed after failing misserably!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Why shouldn't he be, this country has no real auto industry to speak of, and millions of people are driving around in cars of substandard quality with dubious names; Kangoo, Picasso, Berlingo, and unimaginative names from Peugeot like 1007, 107, 207, 307, 407 (um I wonder what they will call it's replacement? 408 perhaps?) 607 oh well at least we were spared the 507! And now Citroen are in bed with them, great names such as C1, C2, C3, C4, C5 and C8 boring!! Styling; Vel satis, Modus, C3 XTR, C2, Berlingo, new Espace, the Megan'e and anything from Peugeot!

When I see people crusing in round in their 307's (the most unreliable car on sale here). C3 XTR's, etc, I think they could have bought a higher spec similar sized, similar Rover or MG which would have helped save British jobs and skill base. I think shame on them, our car industry goes down the toilet because they bought a sub standard car. It cost us jobs and deepened the gap of our balance of payments, which you MG3, along with the rest of us, pay for. For these Countries to stick two fingers up at us and move the car production abroad and why shouldn't they, when we will still buy their trash. What's not to get over!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I've owned enough cars from all sorts of different manufacturers to know what I like ,and I've seen plenty folk who's cars ,despite being 'superior foreign' stuff have let them down.

It's also a free country ,so I'll voice my opinion as I see fit ,and there's nowt you can do about it.

I work in British manufacturing ,that's why I care about it. A shame more people don't have the same attitude.

That apart ,the 307's a total shed of a car ,as is the Laguna 2.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've owned enough cars from all sorts of different manufacturers to know what I like ,and I've seen plenty folk who's cars ,despite being 'superior foreign' stuff have let them down.

It's also a free country ,so I'll voice my opinion as I see fit ,and there's nowt you can do about it.

I work in British manufacturing ,that's why I care about it. A shame more people don't have the same attitude.

That apart ,the 307's a total shed of a car ,as is the Laguna 2.

Not one French car made the to 50 in the JD Power owners survey, so why do people still buy them with their poor engineering, cheaply finished interiors and awful depreciation, someone tell me because I really don't get it? And why oh why do they put private plates on them????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts