MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
did a stupid thing today when filling up i went and picked the wrong pump up and put 15p worth of petrol in the tank. the noticed what i was doing and stopped. then filled the car up with diesel. will i get any problmes with that little amount of petrol.

thanks heath (stupid)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i know some taxi drivers that put a gallon of petrol in a tankful of diesel every so often, they swear by it as a cleaner.
cant say i would dare try it though

R

·
0 Posts
A mix of up to about 10% ought to be OK. Before effective anti-gelling agents were developed, it was common practice to put 1 gallon of petrol in for every 8 of diesel in winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
shakenNstirred said:
i know some taxi drivers that put a gallon of petrol in a tankful of diesel every so often
Richard Moss said:
A mix of up to about 10% ought to be OK. Before effective anti-gelling agents were developed, it was common practice to put 1 gallon of petrol in for every 8 of diesel in winter.
Old diesel engines had no problems with that, but you should not do it with a modern common rail system. The injection system is much more sensitive in matters of lubrication.

Regards
Juergen

R

·
0 Posts
I'm not advocating such a practice - but I doubt that a one-off accidental use of up to 10% would do any harm (after all, the fuel varies slightly as a matter of course).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Richard Moss said:
but I doubt that a one-off accidental use of up to 10% would do any harm
Hi Richard,

yes, a small percentage of petrol won't harm, as long it's not on a regular basis, I think.

Regards
Juergen

·
Registered
cityrover
261 Posts
task said:
hi all
did a stupid thing today when filling up i went and picked the wrong pump up and put 15p worth of petrol in the tank. the noticed what i was doing and stopped. then filled the car up with diesel. will i get any problmes with that little amount of petrol.

thanks heath (stupid)
Hi,
A good few years ago in Newcastle heading for Glasgow, I managed to select the wrong pump nozzle and had put 4 gallons of Petrol into my Rover 600 before realising my mistake. Fortunately the tank was nearly empty and I then filled the tank to the brim with diesel. The mileage of the car was about 45000 at the time and it went on to do 95000 miles with no problems at all, before it was changed for my first 75.
Not to be recommended, but the Rover L Diesel engine seemed to go just as well if not better on that tank of fuel.
Rergards
Telfer
PS that's what confused me, it was a black hose. I think they had not got round to changing the hose colour at the petrol station I used.
T

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
I did the same when I was using my mums L200!

But put about £15 worth in,
Was fine though.

It’s when it’s diesel in the petrol tank that’s when it’s bad!

:shh:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm wearing the T-Shirt

Put some Petrol in my derv VRS - buit being a new car (and I put more fuel in than you) I didn't take the risk. £245 for a drain and new fuel filter isn't cheap.

But providing you've only put a small amount in, and ideally filled with derv, you should be OK

Get one of those Dyno printers and do 2 lables - one for the fuel filler cap and one for a prominant place in the car. Also remember Black not Green.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts