MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.............where youre petrol gauge needle never stays in one place for one second for example i go round a corner or park on the side of the road the petrol needle shoots up, then when i go of the curb it goes down to nearly naff all again, i never no how much petrol i actually have just wanted to kno if this is a rover thing or is there a quick and easy fix for it

cheers

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Sounds like you've got a loose connection somewhere. The needle usually only moves slowly and you only get an "accurate" measure of how much fuel is in the tank when the car is on a flat surface.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
mines only fluctuates when going up or down hills, but even then the needle moves slowley. But on a flat surface it should stay put and give an accurate measurement of the fuel.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The fuel level sender has a float which sits on top of the fuel, connected to an arm which moves up and down a resistor and the resistor reading goes to the gauge on the dashboard to indicate the fuel level.

The arm should be damped (in the case of more recent models, at least), to reduce movement on hills, over bumps etc, but it sounds to me like in this case the damping has failed. You can buy a replacement sender unit, although I suspect it's probably not that cheap once you buy it, get it fitted etc.

Unless it's a great irritation, I suspect it's probably better to put up with the fluctuating level, unless you're happy to spend the money. If the fuel pump gives up the ghost, you can replace the whole unit including the sender.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The sender usually isn't damped the damping is usually done in the gauge itself as it is easier and cheaper to do that way.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The latest fuel modules and sender units use silicon dampers at the top of the level arm. I don't know whether this is true for the MGR senders, but I have handled several of these parts and know it to be the case for most manufacturers.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Oooh you learn something new every day. On all the rovers and predecessors I've had the damping in the gauge itself rather than the sender. (The less moving parts in the tank to go wrong the better!)

·
Registered
440 Posts
On a lot of new vehicles now, there is a fuel "module" fitted into the tank, which is a big plastic container which houses the pump, sender, pressure regulator and also contains a "swirl pot." The only problem is that on the latest vehicles the whole thing is a single unit placed into a sealed plastic tank, so any replacement is made very difficult.

yet another example of car makers making it virtually impossible to do work on your own car. :2c:

Fortunately the current Rover unit is fairly basic and is just a pump on a metal frame, with the sender unit attached (unless they've changed it recently).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts