MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have bought a chrome surround for my petrol cap, question, how do you dismantle the cap and remove the alloy surround, thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi, have bought a chrome surround for my petrol cap, question, how do you dismantle the cap and remove the alloy surround, thanks in anticipation.

Hio,
All you need to know here.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.mgfcar.de/index.htm&langpair=de|en&hl=de&prev=/language_tools

Pictorial guide an everything.

·
Registered
mgf
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
petrol cap removal

It is the original cap surround just has been chromed, what can I say, I like bling!

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Hi Richard and welcome :welcome:

The link in the above post doesn't seem to work for me but direct instructions on dismantling the cap can be found here

It's a pig of a job, took me ages to do mine. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Hi and welcome by me as well Richard.

Just a little word of warning: I went exactly the same route and lost my surround after a few kms. Make sure that the blue plastic insert (esp. the "noses") is completely tight after refitting.

Good luck and don't forget to post a pic once finished :)

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
How to remove outer ring!

MGTF petrol cap

push centre piece out with thumb while holdng outer ring with fingers

the inner piece will pop out

work your way round until all the lugs are unclipped

The two pieces will become seperated in a matter of seconds

MGF petrol cap

push centre piece out with thumb while holding outer ring with fingers

the centre piece will pop out

work your way round until both pieces are seperated

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
MGTF petrol cap.... The two pieces will become seperated in a matter of seconds

You make it look & sound so easy. I gave up with mine the first time and went back to it another day. Eventually took me 3 screwdrivers wedged on the tabs to separate it:err:

Great clear pics :broon:

·
Registered
mg_tf
644 Posts
i dont suppose anyone knows if you can get the fake bolts without buying a whole new cap? or if you can mod a real bolt perhaps

·
Registered
mgf
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still the petrol cap!

thanks all for all the replies, found the site for it and had a go!!!! not easy, 3hrs
it took but finally did it. who would have thought that the bolts in the surround fitted like that? Any way all done and the lock cleaned and greased how it worked at all suprised me being so corroded.

·
Registered
mg_tf
22 Posts
Shiny chrome petrol cap - wow!

Thanks to this forum, just did it.

From a sorry looking chipped silver painted petrol cap, to a shiny chrome one.

Only took 40 minutes, and cost nothing at all!

I admit it took some effort to prise off the outer ring...thumbs weren't strong enough. But with the help of my better half - it started to pop free. Just like in the photos above.

Polishing by hand took me only 40 minutes.

I used 3 grades of sandpaper - coarse and then fine Harris decorators sandpaper to get through the silver paint and black primer down to the shiny chrome. Then extra fine 180 then 400 grade Flexovit paper to bring out the deep chrome finish.

After that I used some cutting paste, and finally Brasso and there it was.

It is beautiful, looks a treat. I left my left the allen bolts in place through the process and they look fine. The centre popped back in once lined up correctly.

I'm not lacquering mine, on the basis that the chrome parts of my bike stay shiny after years in all weathers.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Thanks to this forum, just did it.

From a sorry looking chipped silver painted petrol cap, to a shiny chrome one.

Only took 40 minutes, and cost nothing at all!

I admit it took some effort to prise off the outer ring...thumbs weren't strong enough. But with the help of my better half - it started to pop free. Just like in the photos above.

Polishing by hand took me only 40 minutes.

I used 3 grades of sandpaper - coarse and then fine Harris decorators sandpaper to get through the silver paint and black primer down to the shiny chrome. Then extra fine 180 then 400 grade Flexovit paper to bring out the deep chrome finish.

After that I used some cutting paste, and finally Brasso and there it was.

It is beautiful, looks a treat. I left my left the allen bolts in place through the process and they look fine. The centre popped back in once lined up correctly.

I'm not lacquering mine, on the basis that the chrome parts of my bike stay shiny after years in all weathers.

Thanks again guys!
I love this Mod and must have been lucky because I did mine in about 5 mins (using the how to of course) petrol cap and boot plates just compliment the factory fitted chrome handles,

what about some pics tho? heres mine show me yours;

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I love this Mod and must have been lucky because I did mine in about 5 mins (using the how to of course) petrol cap and boot plates just compliment the factory fitted chrome handles,

what about some pics tho? heres mine show me yours;

I really like the hand on legs, logo beside the petrol cap. :lol:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
think its time i got round tot doing mine....painted the black centre bit a fortnight ago so best get the elbow grease out and get cracking.....glad you got yours sorted richard

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Was an absolute pig of a job.

Seems most just *pop* out when pushed, whereas others (like mine) have a secondary locking ring and have to be punched, gouged, stabbed, kicked and headbutted apart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts